JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Problem uploading to IR
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made the keymap settings non-editable for the URC-7780/81, but I've also made the RDF on its own load the Standard setting. It seems sufficiently difficult to cause the OS of the remote to invoke Alternate that I have assumed it will never happen, so since the RDF doesn't do so either, I believe a user will NEVER get caught by the Alternate trap.

Since the RDF Settings section allows the RDF writer to set a default value, I don't understand why ANY RDF leaves the user in Alternate. I've seen Vicky regularly ask users to check that Keymap is not set to Alternate, and have wondered why, as I could see no reason why this might happen. Until now. It seems that creating a setup from an RDF, without a download, can do so. But that seems the fault of the RDF writer, who ought to have set the default to Standard.

Am I missing something?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Am I missing something?

Yep, the official RDF's were created 2 years ago and many of the JP1.2 RDF's did not have the fixed data nor the keymap setting in the general section. So for 2 years I've been fighting this problem on the official RDF's even though the correction has been loaded into the RDF development area, before the last RDF update.

Even with Graham's RDF that corrects this problem, if someone did a file new with a prior RDF there is no way to fix this without intimately knowledge of the settings.

This problem will persist until the official RDF's are upgraded, and even then we'll have old RDF's floating around.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition, this condition could be dormant for years. I did my first file->new on my 7800 6 years before I ever did an upgrade. If someone did a file new with a "bad" rdf, it could take years for this to effect a remote, since it does not effect the built-in devices, only the upgrades that we add to the E2 area. I like being able to download an IR file and immediately see what is going wrong. So I like seeing the keymap setting in the general tab.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
In addition, this condition could be dormant for years.

To put it another way, the sins of the fathers will be visited upon the children even unto the third and fourth generation. Evil or Very Mad
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
So I like seeing the keymap setting in the general tab.
And you will continue to see it when the "bad" RDF files are used. However, if the [Settings] section is used to force the keymap setting, there would be little point in also showing the keymap setting, since IR will always patch the downloaded or new image, and you'd never see any setting other than "Standard". The same goes for using the [FixedData] section, unless the user says 'No' to the dreaded scary dialog question.
mathdon wrote:
But that seems the fault of the RDF writer, who ought to have set the default to Standard.
Exactly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: