JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Newbie question...RF?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregnash

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:54 am    Post subject: Newbie question...RF? Reply with quote

So I have been skulking the forums for some time now and actually because of these forums I have two OFA 6131n remotes that I love. But now that my systems have grown (was the same stuff for many, many years) I am starting to need to get into the JP1 programming side more.

Here is my dilemma, I have a large oak entertainment center that has a center console area that houses my receiver, dvd player and, xbox 360. My Tivo and HD Cable box are on the outside for direct IR but the others are behind oak doors. I would like to setup all items to run via macro (i.e. PVR switches to HDMI 1, Receiver to Video 1 and allows PVR control of all systems, etc) but I was wondering if there is a JP1 remote out there that can do both IR and RF?

I plan to pick up a JP1 USB cable for which ever remote I get (new 6131n or something else) but will need to make sure that it is Win Vista x64/Win 7 x64 compliant as I do not have a computer with serial/parallel ports anymore.

Thanks in advance
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use this little puppy for the RF solution...
http://www.amazon.com/product/dp/B000C1Z0HA?tag=j0df-20

Last edited by The Robman on Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
gregnash

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do those really work that well? Was thinking of getting a Hot Links Pro as I have heard really good things about them, but that is half the price.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a review from one of our regulars...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10779
gregnash

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems kinda odd as I cant really seem to imagine how it hooks up. I take it that the battery replace item is actually a small RF emitter and the "flying saucer thing" is the receiver then redistributes the signal? Does that seem right? Might have to take a look at this and like the reviewer said Amazon will take back just about anything if you are unsatisfied.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you familiar with "One For All" remotes like the URC-9910? The URC-9910 has an RF transmitter built into it and it comes with a base unit that converts the RF signals back to IR. The Next Generation works in the same manner. I don't know how the battery device manages to grab the IR signals, but apparently it does. It then converts them into an RF signal which is picked up by the flying saucer device, which then converts them back to IR.

You either position it in front of your gear, or you use the IR blaster cable to work them.
gregnash

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok that makes more sense now. So it basically works as a traditional RF remote in that the base station captures the RF signal and then transfers it through the "bugs" to the particular device. Just seemed like the flying saucer thing had to be positioned somewhere that it could "see" the IR signal coming from the remote.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregnash wrote:
Ok that makes more sense now. So it basically works as a traditional RF remote in that the base station captures the RF signal and then transfers it through the "bugs" to the particular device. Just seemed like the flying saucer thing had to be positioned somewhere that it could "see" the IR signal coming from the remote.
No the saucer doesn't RECEIVE IR, it TRANSMITS IR, in a very wide-angle spread. Then the "bugs" are an additional option to get the IR directly in front of your component's IR window if the saucer cannot be positioned in such a way to cover all of your components.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
gregnash

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:
gregnash wrote:
No the saucer doesn't RECEIVE IR, it TRANSMITS IR, in a very wide-angle spread. Then the "bugs" are an additional option to get the IR directly in front of your component's IR window if the saucer cannot be positioned in such a way to cover all of your components.

Ok in which case it acts as a relay if it cannot be positioned to hit the items directly...
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The remote transmits the RF signal and the UFO receives the RF signal, then transmits an IR signal. If it's possible to position the UFO in front of your gear, that would be the best solution. But if that's not possible (ie, because your gear is in a closed closet, for example) then you can use the IR blaster cable.
gregnash

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Rob and Capn. After doing some looking around I think I may try and pickup a backlight Atlas 1056 or two. Seems the front rooms remote (6131n) is starting to die as it seems to be having issues over the last week and it has new batteries. Looks like I will need to pick up a JP1.x usb cable as well, anyone got these for sale or know where I can pick one up?
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy Tyler, the "creator" is the only one I'm aware of selling USB JP1.2/3 (Flash) cables - and they are outstanding!

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
gregnash

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect!! Thanks Capn...Just was looking over your X-Sight/Harmony One thread. While I like both remotes, they are unfortunately out of my price range (wife would kill me if I spent that much on a dog chew toy)! So looks like I might be picking something else up.. looking at Atlas 1056BC, RC 15-2117 or another good ole' 6131n. I am assuming that the Atlas and 2117 are both FlashROM based which means I will not need to solder a chip on the board (saving me sometime).
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 15-2117 is EEPROM based, but the chip is pre-installed so no mod is needed, assuming you can find one for sale somewhere.
gregnash

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah started looking around and couldnt find any. I know that they were discontinued a few years ago but was hoping something might pop up. Looks like I will be getting one of the USB JP1.x cables and then picking up an Atlas and NG saucer soon here. I did some digging around last night (while trying to fix a friends computer) and found my OLD cable remote which happens to be an Atlas 1047XL. Looked inside and sure enough, was JP1.2 so I might have to drag that out and configure it for the bedroom (have tv, tivo, cable, dvd and vcr but can have the tivo control the cable and well we dont really use the VCR that much). Looks like I have some programming in my future!

Quick question, or rather edification, is the 1056 the only Atlas model that is backlit?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: