JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MCE Remote learned codes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Protocol Decodes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha! I've found a pattern! The last 4 bits are always the lsb forms of one of 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3 and the value decreases by one between Once frame and the common value for the Repeat and Extra frames.

You observed that the last 2 of the 7 fixed bits are always the same for each frame type, ie Once or Repeat or Extra. These bits are the lsb forms of 3, 2, 1 respectively, so again there is a decrease of 1. So any one of the Once, Repeat and Extra frames determines the others.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking at this one a lot closer today and I've cracked the checksum. You are correct that the last 4 bits are a decimal number in LSB format, but that's not the whole story.

The checksum is a count of the number of 1s in the whole signal. There are two 1s in the 5-bit fixed portion. The next 2 bits are "11" for the first part, "10" for the second and "01" for the third, so that explains why the checksum is the same for the 2nd and 3rd parts but different for the first part.

Unfortunately, even though we now know that the signal is LSB, I'm still not able to make any sense out of the OBC codes, so I guess we'll just have to accept that the OEM didn't use a logical pattern for the OBCs.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You beat me to it! I had written down the 6-bit variable values underneath the values (ie 3 to 8) of the last 4 bits for the repeat frame but was then called for dinner (UK time!). I intended to look for a pattern after dinner, and having just come back to do so, I saw your message. The pattern, of course, is that all the values in each column have the same number of 1's. So I think I would have got there in the end. Smile
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now see if you can make sense of the OBCs! Surprised
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made no headway with making sense of the OBCs, Rob, but I think the decode is better with the bits complemented, ie take

A ONE pair as -500 +500
A ZERO pair as +500 -500

instead of the other way round. This gives the 2-bit values that identify First, Repeat and Extra frames as 0, 1, 2, which makes more sense than 3, 2, 1. It has an effect on the checksum, which becomes 3 more than the number of 1's. Uncomplemented, it is 1 less than the number of 1's (rather than equal to it, which you had). Since neither give equality, I don't think this says anything about whether to use complemented or uncomplemented values. I'm also using a base time of 480 rather than 500 as this seems to fit the raw data better.

This gives the IRP as

OrtekMCE {38.6k,480}<1,-1|-1,1>(4,-1,D:5,P:2,F:6,C:4,^48m)+

where P is a position code:

0 for first frame of repeat sequence
1 for all repeats up to last one
2 for last repeat

and C is the checksum, 3 more than the number of 1 bits in D, P, F together.

I've sorted out how to make DecodeIR check the multiple frames with different P and C values and report a single decode for each signal. As far as I can tell, there are no other protocols handled by DecodeIR that have this behaviour of multiple different frames for the same signal. The output now looks a great deal nicer. Here it is.
Code:
LEARNED SIGNALS:
LEARNED CODE DATA
#    Btn   Key      Protocol   Dev Sub OBC  Hex  EFC   
1    VCR   Power    OrtekMCE   21      3    C0   012      
2    VCR   Up       OrtekMCE   21      21   A8   079      
3    VCR   Down     OrtekMCE   21      32   04   242      
4    VCR   Right    OrtekMCE   21      33   84   238      
5    VCR   Left     OrtekMCE   21      23   E8   077      
6    VCR   Select   OrtekMCE   21      34   44   240      
7    VCR   Play     OrtekMCE   21      11   D0   140      
8    VCR   FWD      OrtekMCE   21      9    90   142      
9    VCR   F.Fwd    OrtekMCE   21      17   88   078      
10   VCR   Rew      OrtekMCE   21      13   B0   143      
11   VCR   F.Rew    OrtekMCE   21      8    10   146      
12   VCR   Stop     OrtekMCE   21      16   08   082      
13   VCR   Pause    OrtekMCE   21      20   28   083      
14   VCR   REC      OrtekMCE   21      19   C8   076      
15   VCR   CH+      OrtekMCE   21      47   F4   109      
16   VCR   CH-      OrtekMCE   21      49   8C   046      
17   VCR   VOL+     OrtekMCE   21      50   4C   048      
18   VCR   VOL-     OrtekMCE   21      51   CC   044      
19   VCR   Mute     OrtekMCE   21      48   0C   050      
1    VCR   1        OrtekMCE   21      52   2C   051      
2    VCR   2        OrtekMCE   21      36   24   243      
3    VCR   3        OrtekMCE   21      31   F8   205      
4    VCR   4        OrtekMCE   21      53   AC   047      
5    VCR   5        OrtekMCE   21      35   C4   236      
6    VCR   6        OrtekMCE   21      30   78   209      
7    VCR   7        OrtekMCE   21      45   B4   111      
8    VCR   8        OrtekMCE   21      37   A4   239      
9    VCR   9        OrtekMCE   21      38   64   241      
10   VCR   0        OrtekMCE   21      42   54   112      
11   VCR   Menu     OrtekMCE   21      46   74   113      
12   VCR   Enter    OrtekMCE   21      44   34   115      
13   VCR   TV/Vid   OrtekMCE   21      39   E4   237      
14   VCR   Info     OrtekMCE   21      18   48   080      
15   VCR   Guide    OrtekMCE   21      22   68   081      
16   VCR   L1       OrtekMCE   21      6    60   017      
17   VCR   L2       OrtekMCE   21      7    E0   013      
18   VCR   L3       OrtekMCE   21      4    20   019      
19   VCR   L4       OrtekMCE   21      2    40   016      
1    VCR   PIP      OrtekMCE   21      14   70   145      
2    VCR   MOVE     OrtekMCE   21      15   F0   141      
3    VCR   SWAP     OrtekMCE   21      12   30   147      
4    VCR   Sleep    OrtekMCE   21      10   50   144      

The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm inclined to believe that there is no rhyme or reason for their use of OBCs so I'm not surprised that you weren't able to make any headway with them. I agree with your inclination to think that the 1/2/3 codes imply that I have the 1s and 0s reversed (ie, the signal should be LSB-COMP) but the checksum proves conclusively that it isn't comp'd, so it really is 3/2/1.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, I would agree with you about the checksum if with the uncomplemented values it equalled the number of 1's, but it does not. It is one less than the number of 1's. This seems no different in principle than the complemented form, where it is three more than the number of 1's. So I don't see that the checksum proves either version conclusively, but I do think 0/1/2 versus 3/2/1 does so.

What feature of the checksum do you think is conclusive?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I'm inclined to believe that there is no rhyme or reason for their use of OBCs so I'm not surprised that you weren't able to make any headway with them.

I've always thought that there has to be some reason behind OBCs as the keypad in the remote is read as a matrix determined by the PCB layout. So the software starts out with row and column values and constructs the OBC from that. Sometimes that construction makes the values look more logical in lsb form, sometimes in msb form (maybe whether it is the row or column that is put first when they are concatenated?), but there seems no inherent reason why either lsb or msb should seem "nicer". Nevertheless, unless a deliberate encryption has been imposed (is there ever a reason why that might be done?) it should be possible to reconstruct the original matrix and so see the reason behind the OBCs. In the URC-7781 the OBC = 8 x (row_num – 1) + col_num, where the row number is 1..6 and the column number is 1..8.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've always thought that there has to be some reason behind OBCs

I don't get all the math stuff involved in signals. It actually took me YEARS to finally get the hang of signals at all, but OBC's have always seemed like the most obvious thing on the planet. To me, its not how these things look on the PCB's, but rather where tests need to be performed to enhance the responsiveness of the program (equipment). OBC's tend to be grouped into logical functions. They seem to be grouped so that a simple bit testd can send you to the proper subroutine in the firmware for processing as quickly as possible. This holds true for equipment that has multiple subdevices too. The subdevice tends to go with the type of function to be performed.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether Vicky is right or not, here's a key matrix that generates the OBC values (my form, ie lsb comp) as (8 * row + col) for the Ortek MCE, where row is 0..6 and col is 0..7, and which has the keys in roughly the same sort of areas as the picture Zaldwaik provided. There can never be a direct correspondence between buttons and matrix positions as the the buttons are not arranged in an appropriate neat rectangular array, but I would expect there to be a rough correspondence in general area. The matrix is
Code:
    0       1       2       3       4       5       6       7
0                   L4      Power   L3              L1      L2     
1   F.Rew   FWD     Sleep   Play    SWAP    Rew     PIP     MOVE   
2   Stop    F.Fwd   Info    REC     Pause   Up      Guide   Left   
3                                                   6       3     
4   Down    Right   Select  5       2       8       9       TV/Vid
5                   0               Enter   7       Menu    CH+   
6   Mute    CH-     VOL+    VOL-    1       4

and all the OBC values are < 7*8 (which is not so in uncomp form). To me, at any rate, this supports the lsb comp interpretation. But in the end, of course, it is irrelevant. It doesn't affect the hex code for the function and the only "real" answer is the one that was in the heads of the remote's developers.

I don't actually agree with Vicky's interpretation as there are not enough bits in the OBC to do as she suggests. The values are grouped because the buttons on the keypad are grouped. Keypads are read as a matrix. The row and column values are then converted into a single keycode by software, and I see no reason why that should be done in anything other than a simple manner.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't actually agree with Vicky's interpretation as there are not enough bits in the OBC to do as she suggests. The values are grouped because the buttons on the keypad are grouped. Keypads are read as a matrix.

Well I could be totally offbase on this, but it seems to me that the keypad is arranged with like functions together. I guess its which came first, the chicken or the egg. Think about it, I have had 8 Philips TVs that have all used the same codes, and the keypad layouts are all different. I don't know about this particular manufacturer, and have no understanding of the MCE protocol and have not looked at the actual remote or PCB, but just in the general pecking order of life, I would think that the engineers that design the firmware for the TV are going to carry more weight than the guys that design the remote.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
Rob, I would agree with you about the checksum if with the uncomplemented values it equalled the number of 1's, but it does not. It is one less than the number of 1's. This seems no different in principle than the complemented form, where it is three more than the number of 1's. So I don't see that the checksum proves either version conclusively, but I do think 0/1/2 versus 3/2/1 does so.

I thought the checksum count was indeed equal, but I do see now that it's off by one, so I no longer think it's conclusive.

I've taken another look at the OBCs to see if they're scrambled or something but I'm really not seeing a pattern. Looking at just the binary for the numeric buttons, you would expect to see one of the columns display a 1-0-1-0-1-0 etc pattern but they don't.

As for the matrix issue, while you would expect all OBCs to follow a pattern, we have found that while most do, there are plenty that don't, so that's not conclusive either. After all, look at how we can arrange the buttons in our upgrades, there's nothing stopping us from arranging our buttons in a totally random fashion, we're not bound by the matrix, so if the OEM remote has a similar setup to our JP1 remotes, they're not bound by the matrix either.

Bottom line, I don't see a compelling case to say that this signal is COMP'd or not, in which case my preference would be to say that it isn't. Why complicate matters when we don't have to?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, I don't see it as a complication. We're only calling it Comp as you started out taking 1 as +500, -500, 0 as -500, +500. If you take 1 as -500, +500 and 0 as +500, -500, it's not Comp. There doesn't seem to be a particular convention that says 1 is ON/OFF and 0 is OFF/ON, as John Fine lists the RC6 protocol as 1 = ON/OFF, 0 = OFF/ON but the RC5 protocol as 1 = OFF/ON, 0 = ON/OFF. I may be missing something here, like a connection with Odd or Even biphase signals, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but all I'm proposing is to follow the order used for RC5. I agree that if one has to say Comp explicitly then it is a complication that is perhaps unnecessary.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
if one has to say Comp explicitly then it is a complication that is perhaps unnecessary.

Maybe I missed some context, but I'll comment anyway.

We often want to decide LSB vs. MSB to make the OBC values more reasonable when we reverse engineer a protocol.

We also want to decide the 0/1 polarity for the same reason. But we don't want to represent that (especially in any IRP format) as a "comp" or not characteristic. We want to directly represent it as a bit encoding rule.

When we take that protocol and represent it via a JP1 executor, we do want to introduce the concept of "comp". If we are using or being consistent with a UEI executor that is "comp" we want to be consistent with it. Even if we invent the executor, a choice of comp for the bits often simplifies the generation of the lead out pulse(s).

We do not want the JP1 executor issues to drive the polarity choice in the bits of the OBC number. That choice should be our best guess at what fits the collection of known signals. Then some executor is opposite that choice, we want to tag it as "comp".

mathdon wrote:
John Fine lists the RC6 protocol as 1 = ON/OFF, 0 = OFF/ON but the RC5 protocol as 1 = OFF/ON, 0 = ON/OFF.

That is one of the rare cases in which the inventors of the protocol have published the intent of the bits, so we know the mapping of 0/1 for sure. We aren't guessing.

It also is one of the common cases in which the OBC numbers are arranged very consistently, so there would be no risk of guessing wrong.

The polarity is opposite between rc5 and rc6 because the inventor of rc6 explicitly decided to revers it.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
There doesn't seem to be a particular convention that says 1 is ON/OFF and 0 is OFF/ON

It's not a convention, it's a limitation of the IR engine when it comes to bi-phase signals.

We don't have the flexibility when writing bi-phase executors that we have when we write PWM executors. With a PWM signal, if I were to conclude that my original guess regarding the 1s and 0s was backwards, rather than treat my executor as COMP, I would reverse the timings in the code itself, thus un-COMPing it. But with bi-phase, I only have the option of sending the zero pair reversed (ie, with the off time first).

mathdon wrote:
John Fine lists the RC6 protocol as 1 = ON/OFF, 0 = OFF/ON but the RC5 protocol as 1 = OFF/ON, 0 = ON/OFF. I may be missing something here, like a connection with Odd or Even biphase signals, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but all I'm proposing is to follow the order used for RC5. I agree that if one has to say Comp explicitly then it is a complication that is perhaps unnecessary.

Why follow RC5 rather than RC6? If the signal really were comp'd I'd have no problem treating it as such, but as the OBCs don't make any sense whichever way you look at them, I don't see a compelling case one way or another. Therefore my preference would be to not treat it as comp. The only reason we treat some executors as comp is so that we can get the correct OBCs to display.

As this seems to be important to you, I'm certainly willing to let this one go, so if you want to treat it as comp, go ahead.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Protocol Decodes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: