JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Baby steps - cannot find remote
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacobacci

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:04 pm    Post subject: Baby steps - cannot find remote Reply with quote

Hi all
I'm very new to all things JP1, so I am looking for some help with my first steps.
I have a ONEforall URC1210 remote which has a JP1 connector
I purchased this cable: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B08JLRP6YV
When I plug the cable to a USB port on my PC (Win 11 23H2), it shows up as "silicon labs cp210x usb to uart bridge (com4)". I downloaded and installed drivers 11.3.0.176 from Silicon Laboratories Inc.
So far so good.
Next I downloaded RMIR 3.0.12 and attached four leads of the cable to the remote as described here: http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php/JP1_Cables taking care to correctly identify pin one on the remote.
Finally I tried to download from the remote to the PC with RMIR. While RMIR is trying to download, the LED on the USB connector blinks red, so something is happening. However after a few seconds I get 'no remotes found'. I have tried with and without batteries in the remote.
Have I overlooked something here?
Thanks a lot for any help.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a very interesting cable that you have. I have not come across previously a ready-built cable that has a CP2102 chip. That chip needs a 10K resistor connected between the TXD and GND lines to work with RMIR. That is easy to connect if you have it on a break-out board, as I have, but not so easy when it is in a ready-built cable. Maybe you can connect one to the leads before they enter the separate connectors?
ckeays

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not able to look at the amazon link you posted. Some things you can try, don't connect power from the cable to the remote, use the remote batteries. Did you try reversing Rxd and TxD?

I would try testing the cable on another device (not a remote) to see if it works. The other day I opened a cable housing to troubleshoot why it didn't work and one of the wires was not soldered to the board, and never was.

If you open the housing, sometimes the connections are labeled on the pcb so you can determine the orientation of the wires. Its possible the wires are not connected to the right pins in the housing. I have seen this before.
Hope this helps.
jacobacci

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ckeays wrote:
I am not able to look at the amazon link you posted

This is the link to the cable on the manufacturer's site:
https://www.deshide.com/product-details.html?pid=303475&_t=1661503468
jacobacci

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacobacci performs victory dance .....
The terminals on my cable are colored differently than in the JP1 wiki. The labels are correct. After turning on my brain and inserting the correct cable to the correct pins, I was able to download the remote's content with RMIR

Thanks guys, I will now start the learning curve with RMIR
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacobacci wrote:
The terminals on my cable are colored differently than in the JP1 wiki. The labels are correct.

You cannot rely on the colours, especially as your cable uses a different chip from the ones that the wiki refers to. The 10K resistor that I mentioned in my earlier post is not needed for all remotes. Yours is one that does not need it. As you were getting the "no remotes found" message I thought you needed the resistor, but it was simply that you did not have the right connections. For anyone else who gets this cable, do be aware that it does need this resistor with some remotes.
jacobacci

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
You cannot rely on the colours, especially as your cable uses a different chip from the ones that the wiki refers to.

I should have known better than to simply look at the colors.
I now managed to download the data from the remote. Before the download I was given the choice of three remotes:
URC-1240 Contour 4 v2
URC-1280 Contour 8 v2
URC-1981 OFA 8
but not the URC-1210 that I have. I am afraid I am stuck at the next step.
RMIR presents the downloaded data as follows:

RMIR seems to think my remote can cater for 8 devides (the 1210 is a TV only remote). When I click on TV the 'edit device' button looks grayed out, so I cannot see anything about the codes for the buttons in TV mode.

I'd be grateful for some hints on how to move forward. Thanks a lot.

P.S: Just found this thread http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=101354&sid=fcd60b9ea7f044ef85c6bafae3d34ad8

If I posted the RMIR file and the list of codes that should go on which button, would that help?
Ideally I would like to use the remote as follows:
Transport (play etc.) buttons used for Neukomm CD Player (device code 20)
All other buttons (volume, left/right, numeric, colored buttons etc.) used for Neukomm Amplifier (device code 16).
All Neukomm units use the device code + plain RC5 codes for the buttons.
I am NOT looking to switch devices with this remote. One layout only.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The URC-1210 is an 8-device remote! It is the same as the URC-1280 but with the 8 device-selection buttons missing, so it is permanantly set to the TV device. When you learn about macros, you can use a macro to change the device and so use it as an 8-device remote if you wish. The reason that the Edit Device button is grayed-out is that you cannot edit built-in devices, only upgrade devices. I have a URC-1280 and its code list does not include any Neukomm devices and I can't see that our Device Upgrades in the FileSection has anything either, so you will need to create the device upgrades that you need for your devices. You can then use RMIR to set the TV device to your amplifier, one of the other devices to the CD Player and then set Transport Punchthrough for TV to that second device.

You seem very knowledgeable about device codes and RC5 so perhaps you already have enough info to create the upgrades. If not, and you have the original Neukomm remotes, then you can use the Learning function of your remote with RMIR to find the details of the RC5 signals you need and the Convert to Device Upgrade feature of RMIR to create the upgrades from those signals.

If you wish, we can create an RDF for the URC-1210 so that you get the correct image, but you don't need it. You can select either URC-1240 or URC-1280, the extra devices you see in RMIR are, for your remote, what we call "phantom devices" accessable only through macros.
jacobacci

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Graham
I think I see light at the end of the tunnel. I am an electrical engineer, but I have never worked in development, so my knowledge of RC codes is sketchy at best. But with a bit of help we'll get there, I'm sure. Very Happy
Just for a bit of context, I am doing this to help a friend, Hansruedi Neukomm who builds high end amplifiers. He has a heavy duty remote for his more expensive devices and he would like to use the URC-1210 in modified form for his entry level products. I am trying to give him a hand in this. Here are two pictures:

I assume I need to follow the chapter "How Do You Add an Upgrade" on this page.
This is the list of how I would like to map them to the buttons of the URC-1210.

I could not find how to attach the excel, so I inserted a PDF of the codes
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the context. You seem to have all the info you need to create the upgrades, so good luck! Let me know if you get stuck and need my help.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26822
jacobacci

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the amplifier settings work perfectly! A big THANKS to both of you. Sorry Graham, if Rob undermined your efforts to nudge me along the learning curve. Rob, looking at the intricacies of the file, you probably saved me many hours of effort.
When I am next over at Hansruedi's, I will test the CD player buttons, but I don't expect any issues.
I'll keep you posted.
jacobacci

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have encountered an issue that I would like to resolve and it concerns CD FF and CD Rewind. On the physical CD player there are two buttons for this. If they are pressed long, the CD is fast forwarded / rewound as long as the button is pressed. The fast forward begins to accelerate after a while (as this is usual).
On the remote, the FF / Rewind code is only sent once to the CD Player, so it basically does noting. Is there a way I can get the key to send the code continuously as long as the key is pressed?

Found http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=89745 but it's not really the solution
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RC5 signal is a repeating signal, so that shouldn't be your problem. If you want to prove this to yourself, get a digital camera (like the one in your phone) and watch the remote through the screen when you press and hold the FWD and REW buttons. You should see the IR flashing on the screen.

Is your URC-1210 a learning remote? If so, can you capture the FWD and REW buttons from the OEM remote to see what signal they're really sending? And once captured, ensure that the learned buttons work properly. If they do, please post your RMIR file so I can see them.
jacobacci

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob,
FF and FB work with the original Neukomm remote. I have learned the FF and FB command to the URC 1210 and placed the rmir file here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26828
The learned FF and FB commands on the URC 1210 do not work unfortunately.

The Vol+, Vol-, Bal L and Bal R commands' repeat works fine with the profile you had provided initially.

EDIT: I made the following interesting discovery.
If I put the plain RC5 FF and FB codes on the Ch+ and Ch- keys, the function works like a breeze. If I put them on the FF and FB keys, it does not. Go figure.

EDIT2: I just programmed VOL+ and VOL- to the FF and FB buttons. A long press of the button does NOT repeat the function. VOL is only adjusted by 1, sometimes 2 steps. There is definitely something different about the FF and FB buttons on this remote.

Last edited by jacobacci on Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:36 pm; edited 4 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: