JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RMIR v3.0 Major new release!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
davecs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
@davecs

I have implemented the ability to set the text colours on progress bars and it works fine in Windows. Unfortuately it does not work in Linux with the Look and Feel set to GTK+. I found that Linux documentation says that it is up to the Look and Feel as to whether it implements such settings, and GTK+ appears not to do so. However, I find that Metal works fine in Linux and the settings work as they should in it. Initially I had your problem about moving the display off the side of the screen, but I found I could grab the bottom right corner and re-size it as I wanted, after which it would move normally. You could also try editing the RMBounds entry in your RemoteMaster.properties file in the installation folder, if you really can't get the RMIR display to re-size.

I haven't posted v3.0.4 with this facility yet, as I thought I would wait for your reaction to this news. I am not a Linux expert, as you know, so I thought you might have some suggestions I could try.

I tried re-sizing "Metal" as you described but I still couldn't move the window off the screen. Either way, it sticks out like a sore thumb! In KDE, I tried changing GTK settings to a "Dark" mode, but all that happened was that the window acquired a dark border (by border I mean not the actual border, but everything outside of the boxes that hold the data, the bit that's normally a slightly darker shade of grey — that bit seems to follow the GTK style, but the bits inside the "box" are unchanged and ignore it. So something must be setting the colours. However, rebooting to a GTK-based desktop, the colours were all adjustable except for one: the colour of the text over the sliders at the bottom once there was something loaded. Opening RMIR, before loading a settings file, the text was black in light modes, and white in dark modes exactly how it should be. Why does it change once a .rmir file is loaded? Can't you persuade it to keep the same text colour whether or not there is some content to report in the slider boxes?
davecs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought of something after I went to bed, I won't be able to test it until this afternoon UK time. If I'm right it may be possible to change other colours under KDE to contrast the text in the sliders. Not sure about the text itself though, that seems immutable and possibly being set by the program itself.
davecs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried another method of attempting to change the GTK colours under KDE. It didn't work.

What I've found is that, under KDE, I can't change the colour scheme at all. I've tried both MX-Linux and PCLinuxOS under KDE with the same result.

Under XFCE, which is a GTK-based desktop, all the colours do change according to the global colour scheme, except one: That cyan-coloured text in bars at the bottom. Is that being set within the program?

EDIT/UPDATE: The weirdest thing! Thanks to the magic of symlinks, no matter which partition I boot up, with different variations of Linux, they all address the same copy of RMIR. After experimenting with the other desktops, I returned to my favoured PCLinuxOS KDE, and ran RMIR to find that the Blue in the bars at the bottom had darkened a little, and now I can read the text! I can't understand how or why that is.
WagonMaster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little late to this (and I had to install Java on my Slackware 15.0 PC just now to run RMIR in order to be sure of what I'm saying), but I think I might have some helpful input...

When the "Gtk" look-and-feel option of RMIR is selected, it appears as though Gtk version 3 (not anything older) is in use. This means that the only way (AFAIK) for the user to control the appearance of certain UI elements is to use CSS. I crudely and temporarily tweaked my own Gtk3 CSS rules just now for RMIR and proved that the text in those progress bars did indeed show my selected CSS-file's color assignment.

I'm a rank amateur with CSS, but I've successfully tweaked it for my Gtk3 apps a few times over the years, so what you want is certainly possible. I'd try to explain more, but I'm very rusty and I think you'd find Internet Gtk3 CSS tutorials a quicker and better guide than I'd be! Smile

Some tips about moving and/or re-sizing windows in Linux:
  1. When a window is maximized in a given axis (horizontally, vertically, or both), the window manager might be fighting you if you try to move it even slightly off-screen in that axis. Shrinking the window in that axis then trying to move it off-screen might help, assuming I understand the problem you're seeing.
  2. Typical Linux installations allow moving a window by holding the 'Alt' keyboard key and clicking with the primary mouse button (usually the left one) anywhere in the window (i.e. not just on the title bar).
  3. Similarly, they allow re-sizing of a window by holding the 'Alt' keyboard key and clicking with the secondary mouse button (usually the right one) anywhere in the window (i.e. not just on the re-size handles or window edges, depending on your window manager).
Those tips can come in handy at any time, but especially when a window is off-screen.

I hope what I wrote might help but please forgive the intrusion if I've misunderstood any of this discussion.

If either of you need me to test something under Slackware Linux, feel free to ask.

Good luck!
n8nagel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Hi Graham, I just downloaded v3 to give it a whirl and unfortunately, I can't open the RMDU file that I was working on using it. So I have loaded the rmaster.err file for you.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26752

The rmdu file is here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26743

Update: I've done some more testing and have concluded that it has to do with the ARRX15G XSight 15 that was selected in that upgrade, because even if I create a brand new upgrade using v3, if I select that remote, it won't be able to open it again. So I went back to the original upgrade (using v2.14.18) and changed the remote to one of the Atlas remotes and saved it, then tried opening it using v3 and it opened just fine.

Has anyone tested to see if this has been resolved in the latest version, or should I try it? This is relevant to my interests as the only JP1 remotes I have are all XSight 15s.
davecs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WagonMaster wrote:
I'm a little late to this (and I had to install Java on my Slackware 15.0 PC just now to run RMIR in order to be sure of what I'm saying), but I think I might have some helpful input...

When the "Gtk" look-and-feel option of RMIR is selected, it appears as though Gtk version 3 (not anything older) is in use. This means that the only way (AFAIK) for the user to control the appearance of certain UI elements is to use CSS. I crudely and temporarily tweaked my own Gtk3 CSS rules just now for RMIR and proved that the text in those progress bars did indeed show my selected CSS-file's color assignment.

I'm a rank amateur with CSS, but I've successfully tweaked it for my Gtk3 apps a few times over the years, so what you want is certainly possible. I'd try to explain more, but I'm very rusty and I think you'd find Internet Gtk3 CSS tutorials a quicker and better guide than I'd be! Smile

Some tips about moving and/or re-sizing windows in Linux:
  1. When a window is maximized in a given axis (horizontally, vertically, or both), the window manager might be fighting you if you try to move it even slightly off-screen in that axis. Shrinking the window in that axis then trying to move it off-screen might help, assuming I understand the problem you're seeing.
  2. Typical Linux installations allow moving a window by holding the 'Alt' keyboard key and clicking with the primary mouse button (usually the left one) anywhere in the window (i.e. not just on the title bar).
  3. Similarly, they allow re-sizing of a window by holding the 'Alt' keyboard key and clicking with the secondary mouse button (usually the right one) anywhere in the window (i.e. not just on the re-size handles or window edges, depending on your window manager).
Those tips can come in handy at any time, but especially when a window is off-screen.

I hope what I wrote might help but please forgive the intrusion if I've misunderstood any of this discussion.

If either of you need me to test something under Slackware Linux, feel free to ask.

Good luck!

Can you tell me the location and name of the CSS files? It might be different in a different distro, but at least it might help me find it.
WagonMaster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davecs wrote:
Can you tell me the location and name of the CSS files? It might be different in a different distro, but at least it might help me find it.
On Slackware 15.0, the top-level Gtk3 CSS file (from which you can '@import' other files or just add your CSS rules) is here:
Code:
~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@n8nagel

The issue you have raised has been fixed in the latest RMIR, so please try it and report back if you still have a problem with it.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@davecs

I have been doing my own experimenting and have found that very confusingly, GTK+ mode interprets progressbar.setForeground(..) differently from other UI's. In other UI's this sets the colour of the bar that represents the percentage used. In GTK+ it sets the colour of the text on the bar, the same for the coloured and plain parts. The other colour settings for a progress bar appear to be ignored. So I think I can give you the ability to set a text colour that will be a contrast for both the coloured and plain parts of the bar, but if you change from GTK+ to another look-and-feel then that will be used as bar colour rather than the text colour,

The present value of this foreground colour is AQUAMARINE, which is set by RMIR and is the bar colour on other UI's. It is what you are getting as the text colour in GTK+. The bar colour in GTK+ is out of the control of RMIR. You get what you call a cyan colour, though your screenshot shows something that is paler than my interpretation of cyan and is why you get poor contrast with the aquamarine text. In Ubuntu with GTK+ I get a deep purple for the bar and the aquamarine text is actually a good contrast, which is why I haven't had your problem when using Ubuntu.

I have not yet experimented with removing all references to foreground colour from RMIR to see if that does leave the text defaults, which appear to be white on the coloured part of the bar and black on the plain part. If that works then I will make that an option, too.
davecs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could probably live with the "Nimbus" look and feel, but for some reason, the gentle highlighting of alternate lines on General, Devices and Raw Data tabs is not present on the Key Moves, Macros and Special Functions tabs. It's using the system Window Decorations on my KDE Linux, so otherwise seems OK.
davecs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
@davecs

So I think I can give you the ability to set a text colour that will be a contrast for both the coloured and plain parts of the bar, but if you change from GTK+ to another look-and-feel then that will be used as bar colour rather than the text colour,

Yes, I will experiment with that.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now posted RMIR v3.0.4 in the RMIR Development folder for testing. There are no bug fixes in it as no bugs have been reported since the release of v3.0.3, the current official version. Instead, it adds three new features:

1. A Settings panel for XSight Touch/Color remotes that allows the Language and Region settings to be changed.
2. A Settings panel for XSight Lite/Plus remotes that allows the Language setting to be changed.
3. A new entry, Set Progress Bar Colors, on the Options menu to customise the colors of progress bars.

The new Options item is provided primarily to allow customization of progress bar colors in cases where the standard settings do not provide enough contrast for the text value to be read easily. This is primarily the case for look-and-feels that do not support all the setting facilities available in Java, such as the GTK+ look-and-feel in Linux. There is no guarantee that the options choices will be supported by such look-and-feels, but it is provided in the hope that it will help.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@davecs

As you see, I have now posted RMIR v3.0.4 with the new Options entry for changing progress bar colours. I hope it is self-explanatory. It provides alternatives for three parameters, but in GTK+ mode only the third one has any effect. I think that if you set this to Black or Blue, it should give you the contrast you require. Please report back when you have tried it.
davecs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@mathdon

While I'm being a pain in the arse, here's some stuff about the Nimbus look and feel.

On the Key Moves, Macros and Special Functions tab, not only is there no gentle highlighting of the text on alternate rows, but the item clicked on disappears! (White on white). I couldn't tell you about the Fav/Scan and Protocols tabs because there is no info on them. (On the tabs with the alternate highlighting, the highlighted text does not disappear!!)

Also, the colour you attempted for the "progress bars" at the bottom as also reversed and become the text colour, which the bar itself shown in orange!

This is all in KDE desktop.
davecs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
@davecs

As you see, I have now posted RMIR v3.0.4 with the new Options entry for changing progress bar colours. I hope it is self-explanatory. It provides alternatives for three parameters, but in GTK+ mode only the third one has any effect. I think that if you set this to Black or Blue, it should give you the contrast you require. Please report back when you have tried it.

Ah, we crossed over. I'll download and try it now.

EDIT: Ah, that's much better. I've made the numbers black, and they are now clearly visible in GTK and Nimbus. Completely unreadable on Metal and Motif but I'm not likely to use them. Changing it to Red, makes GTK, Metal and Motif all totally readable, and Nimbus a little awkward but readable (red on orange!).

Did you read what I wrote about Nimbus in the post before this one?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: