JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RMIR v3.0 Major new release!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
n8nagel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, do you have an Xsight Color or were you just using that device because that's what I have (I'm assuming you started with my Magnavox upgrade)?

I'd be happy to test if you need someone with a working Xsight to do so
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have an Xsight, I found the issue by working on your upgrade.
n8nagel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok then if anyone needs functionality tested on an Xsight let me know. I haven't installed the new version yet as I haven't had reason to do any serious work on any upgrades since last weekend.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RMIR v3.0.1 is now officially released. The changes since v3.0.0 only affect XSight remotes, but there is also an addition concerning the URC-6440 and OARUSB04G remotes.

With v3.0.0 there were significant issues with icons for the XSight Touch/Color and equivalent remotes. These have now been fixed. There were also issues with all XSight remotes, so including the XSight Lite/Plus, with the import of certain .rmir setup files for these remotes created in earlier versions of RMIR and correspondingly with the download of these remotes if they contained such setups. There were related issues with RMDU in changing the remote of an upgrade to such a remote, or creating a new upgrade for one of them. These too have been fixed.

This release also includes a new subfolder in its installation folder. This is URC6440_OARUSB04G_LinuxSupport. The URC-6440 and OARUSB04G remotes have a particular problem with Linux, as they present themselves to the computer as a file system that requires mounting. For many versions of Linux this does not occur automatically when the remote is connected. The JP1 forum has had a number of posts giving ways to simplify the mounting of these remotes, but until now they all require some further step beyond connecting the remote to the computer. The JP1 Wiki now has an article by davecs which explains a method that does enable fully automatic mounting of the remote upon its connection to the computer. The method requires the creation of three files that need to be added to certain root folders of the Linux system. The URC6440_OARUSB04G_LinuxSupport folder contains these files and a shell script that copies these files to the correct folders and sets their permissions as required. Full instructions are also included in the folder. This simplifies considerably the installation of this new method.
davecs

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
RMIR v3.0.1 is now officially released. The changes since v3.0.0 only affect XSight remotes, but there is also an addition concerning the URC-6440 and OARUSB04G remotes.

With v3.0.0 there were significant issues with icons for the XSight Touch/Color and equivalent remotes. These have now been fixed. There were also issues with all XSight remotes, so including the XSight Lite/Plus, with the import of certain .rmir setup files for these remotes created in earlier versions of RMIR and correspondingly with the download of these remotes if they contained such setups. There were related issues with RMDU in changing the remote of an upgrade to such a remote, or creating a new upgrade for one of them. These too have been fixed.

This release also includes a new subfolder in its installation folder. This is URC6440_OARUSB04G_LinuxSupport. The URC-6440 and OARUSB04G remotes have a particular problem with Linux, as they present themselves to the computer as a file system that requires mounting. For many versions of Linux this does not occur automatically when the remote is connected. The JP1 forum has had a number of posts giving ways to simplify the mounting of these remotes, but until now they all require some further step beyond connecting the remote to the computer. The JP1 Wiki now has an article by davecs which explains a method that does enable fully automatic mounting of the remote upon its connection to the computer. The method requires the creation of three files that need to be added to certain root folders of the Linux system. The URC6440_OARUSB04G_LinuxSupport folder contains these files and a shell script that copies these files to the correct folders and sets their permissions as required. Full instructions are also included in the folder. This simplifies considerably the installation of this new method.

Brilliantly done!

Can I ask for a small change which can wait until the next version?

When I get a new version, the default folder for .rmir files (in Linux at least) is the same one I open RMIR in, where the zip file has been unzipped to, but the default folder for .rmdu files is my home folder (/home/davecs). Could that also be initialised to the folder it has been unzipped to? Just to make it consistent? I keep forgetting to point it out because as soon as I've corrected it once, it stays that way until there's a new version to test!
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davecs wrote:

When I get a new version, the default folder for .rmir files (in Linux at least) is the same one I open RMIR in, where the zip file has been unzipped to, but the default folder for .rmdu files is my home folder (/home/davecs). Could that also be initialised to the folder it has been unzipped to? Just to make it consistent? I keep forgetting to point it out because as soon as I've corrected it once, it stays that way until there's a new version to test!

This apparently simple request has set me on an interesting voyage of exploration into parts of the RMIR code that I either never knew or have long forgotten Smile . I found that there are default file folders for each of RMIR, RMDU and RMPB. For RMIR it is the installation folder, for RMDU and RMPB it is a subfolder of the installation folder called, respectively, Upgrades and Protocols. By default the latter two do not exist, so they fall back to a default determined by Java itself rather than by the RMIR code. For Windows this is the user's Documents folder, for Linux it is the user's home folder.

I do not think it is a good idea to store a user's files in the installation folder itself. I understand your point about uniformity, but the uniformity I suggest is to have an RMIR default that is a subfolder of the installation folder called SetupFiles. Again this does not exist by default so all three will use the Java default of Documents for Windows and the home folder for Linux. If it is thought to be a good idea, however, I could have these three subfolders created on installation so the three programs do use them as defaults. What do you think?
lbschenkel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying v3.0.1 out with an URC-7955. Starting from factory reset state to make it easier to reproduce. When I try to create a macro, if I choose "real time" or "controlled" I can't include shifted buttons -- they all appear un-shifted. However, in a "normal" macro I can.

Is this a bug? This does not happen in v2.x.
davecs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
davecs wrote:

This apparently simple request has set me on an interesting voyage of exploration into parts of the RMIR code that I either never knew or have long forgotten Smile . I found that there are default file folders for each of RMIR, RMDU and RMPB. For RMIR it is the installation folder, for RMDU and RMPB it is a subfolder of the installation folder called, respectively, Upgrades and Protocols. By default the latter two do not exist, so they fall back to a default determined by Java itself rather than by the RMIR code. For Windows this is the user's Documents folder, for Linux it is the user's home folder.

I do not think it is a good idea to store a user's files in the installation folder itself. I understand your point about uniformity, but the uniformity I suggest is to have an RMIR default that is a subfolder of the installation folder called SetupFiles. Again this does not exist by default so all three will use the Java default of Documents for Windows and the home folder for Linux. If it is thought to be a good idea, however, I could have these three subfolders created on installation so the three programs do use them as defaults. What do you think?

I actually do change the save folders myself. I go up a level from the folder where I've installed the program, from there I have a folder called "setups" then one each for "rmir" and "rmdu". I've never used rmpb.The difference in start points always throws me for a moment though! It's not really a problem for me. In effect my folders end up at $HOME/Downloads/remote/setups/rmir<or>rmdu. To be honest, that's where I've always put them, even before I started installing the program in a subfolder of remote/
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbschenkel wrote:
I am trying v3.0.1 out with an URC-7955. Starting from factory reset state to make it easier to reproduce. When I try to create a macro, if I choose "real time" or "controlled" I can't include shifted buttons -- they all appear un-shifted. However, in a "normal" macro I can.

There is a "Shift" checkbox under the "Button" box. If you check that before you press Add, what shows up under Macro Keys shows as an unshifted button. However, from my investigation so far I believe that this is a display error and what has been added actually is the shifted button. If you click "OK" and then edit the entry in the Macros table, that button will show with the Shift box checked.

I have fixed the display issue in my working version and all appears well. I have yet to get out my URC-7955 to test if this is all that is required, but I will try to do this tomorrow. Have you tried the macro that is created when you add a button with the Shift box checked? If so, I would like to know what you found.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@davecs:

You didn't actually answer my question but I take it that what you really want is the same default folder for all three programs. You will get this if I do what I explained but without creating the three default folders during the installation. You originally asked, if I understand correctly, for all to open in the RMIR installation folder. My proposal will make all three open in your home folder in Linux, in the Documents folder in Windows. Does this meet your need?
lbschenkel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
lbschenkel wrote:

There is a "Shift" checkbox under the "Button" box. If you check that before you press Add, what shows up under Macro Keys shows as an unshifted button. However, from my investigation so far I believe that this is a display error and what has been added actually is the shifted button. If you click "OK" and then edit the entry in the Macros table, that button will show with the Shift box checked.

I have fixed the display issue in my working version and all appears well. I have yet to get out my URC-7955 to test if this is all that is required, but I will try to do this tomorrow. Have you tried the macro that is created when you add a button with the Shift box checked? If so, I would like to know what you found.

Yes, I found out as well that it is a display bug. However, I am finding other issues with version 3 as well with the same remote. When I load my files from previous versions, the macros get "corrupted" -- for example, instances of "button44" get changed to "Back" and if I change the macros to use "button44" again and send to the remote, they don't work as intended as if the codes being sent are now different. I'm finding some other issues too, as if the remote is all "weird".

All issues disappear if I go back to version 2.14.16 and upload again.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbschenkel wrote:
When I load my files from previous versions, the macros get "corrupted" -- for example, instances of "button44" get changed to "Back" and if I change the macros to use "button44" again and send to the remote, they don't work as intended as if the codes being sent are now different. I'm finding some other issues too, as if the remote is all "weird".

Please post a setup that has these problems, as I cannot reproduce them. I have created normal, real-time and controlled macros containing button44 for a URC-7955 in RMIR v2.14.18, saved them as both .rmir and .ir files, loaded these files into RMIR v3.0.1 and all seems well. I have also looked at the code that does the importing of macros and cannot see anything wrong.
lbschenkel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
lbschenkel wrote:
When I load my files from previous versions, the macros get "corrupted" -- for example, instances of "button44" get changed to "Back" and if I change the macros to use "button44" again and send to the remote, they don't work as intended as if the codes being sent are now different. I'm finding some other issues too, as if the remote is all "weird".

Please post a setup that has these problems, as I cannot reproduce them. I have created normal, real-time and controlled macros containing button44 for a URC-7955 in RMIR v2.14.18, saved them as both .rmir and .ir files, loaded these files into RMIR v3.0.1 and all seems well. I have also looked at the code that does the importing of macros and cannot see anything wrong.

I will try to produce some minimal test cases and get back to you.
lbschenkel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbschenkel wrote:
mathdon wrote:
lbschenkel wrote:

I will try to produce some minimal test cases and get back to you.

To reproduce:
1. Create a *controlled* macro triggered by any key, make it send a key which is "shift+button44" (it will show only "button44", but that is due to the display bug we already discussed)
2. Save file
3. Open file again
4. Check macro again; key is changed to "shift+Back"

Observations:
* this is 100% reproducible for me
* bug does not happen with normal macros
* bug does not happen with "button44", only with "shift+button44"
* only observed this bug with "shift-button44" (so far)

This is the content of a .rmir file created by using File / New Remote Image / URC 7955 and saving a single macro with "shift+button44":
Code:
{{deleted by Rob}}
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbschenkel wrote:
This is the content of a .rmir file created by using File / New Remote Image / URC 7955 and saving a single macro with "shift+button44":
Code:
{{deleted by Rob}}

Come on man, don't do that, post the file in the file section.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26756
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: