JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hi and could I get some advice please
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
davecs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I just included the button names from the files that were here at JP1. I was curious to see which buttons had different names in the UK vs. the US and apart from the 4 color buttons, I didn't see any other differences.

You did have 1 button code that wasn't in my file (YouTube) but you have several which are missing too (see below):

OBC Function
10 Return
14 Presets
26 Search/picture
29 F.Rew
30 F.Fwd
36 Favourites
38 TV/List
39 Netflix
51 Record
57 Media
59 MyButton

Yes, that's why I suggested he should try the OBCs in your file that I don't have, as they don't work on my TV but may work on his.

New user who saw my review on Amazon, found the site, and has had excellent service from you, me and Graham!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So was it just the 4 color buttons that you were saying were different between UK and US, because we have color buttons here too, it's just that the users who created those files either chose to use the true function name, or their devices had buttons labeled like that, rather than just using colors. (And I know I should be writing it as colour, like I used to, but I'm American now, lol).
davecs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
So was it just the 4 color buttons that you were saying were different between UK and US, because we have color buttons here too, it's just that the users who created those files either chose to use the true function name, or their devices had buttons labeled like that, rather than just using colors. (And I know I should be writing it as colour, like I used to, but I'm American now, lol).

Before TV went digital, some channels had a service called Teletext, which relied on the colour buttons for navigation. I don't think you had that in the USA hence no colour buttons on older US remotes. When TV went digital, they started using them as shortcuts to other services as well. My Blu-ray player also has a PVR built in, and uses them for alternate options. They are totally ingrained into the system in UK and European remote controls.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do remember Teletext, and there is a Text button in my upgrade. Most satellite systems also use color buttons for various tasks. My preference is to always list those buttons using both their color and their function.
Ant1375

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
Ant1375 wrote:
just a little add on to this comment, I selected all the RC5 TV codes and hit "Convert To Device Upgrade" then selected "Devices" and edit and changed the Device type from Cable to TV.

Absolutely! You have done it! Nothing to do with .girr or export. If your learned signals are all the buttons you need for the TV, now just go to the General tab and change the setup code for TV to 2000. Or you can first edit the device upgrade you have created to change the setup code to anything else you want, 2000 is just the default value for the conversion.

As for setup code lock, again you are exactly right. It is primarily used by cable box suppliers who use a UEI remote, to prevent the user (who doesn't have RMIR!) from changing the code. With RMIR, of course, you can unlock it and do what you want with that device!

Thanks I think Im starting g to get the hang of this now.
Ant1375

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davecs wrote:
The Robman wrote:
I just included the button names from the files that were here at JP1. I was curious to see which buttons had different names in the UK vs. the US and apart from the 4 color buttons, I didn't see any other differences.

You did have 1 button code that wasn't in my file (YouTube) but you have several which are missing too (see below):

OBC Function
10 Return
14 Presets
26 Search/picture
29 F.Rew
30 F.Fwd
36 Favourites
38 TV/List
39 Netflix
51 Record
57 Media
59 MyButton

Yes, that's why I suggested he should try the OBCs in your file that I don't have, as they don't work on my TV but may work on his.

New user who saw my review on Amazon, found the site, and has had excellent service from you, me and Graham!

I do appreciate all the help from you guys but Im a little confused about these two upgrades?? Would using these be better than than making my own?
At the moment I have learned all functions of my TV Remote and created a upgrade with a new code as I mentioned in my other post.

So my setup is the following and I have 5 remotes :

TV
You View Box (BT)
SoundBar
Bluray Player
Room Fan (Ir Remote)

My plan is to ut all 5 remotes into one remote. so i have used the code section of the remote built in code lost and the learning functions to map every button on my old remotes to to new Remote.

Once I have these I then used the software to create a new upgrade for each of the devices with a new code. I then deleted the learned function list from the remote and added the devices to the remote using the New upgrade code I created for each device.

I added the to the remote Device buttons as following:

TV - My Tv
STB - My Youvew Bt Box
Bluray - My Bluray player
Audio - My Soundbar
DVD - My Cooling fan (I don't use a DVD player so this was would be a spare device button on my remote so I put it to good use for the Cooling fan)

Have I did this correctly or is there something else I have missed? Im still trying to learn as I go so please keep that in mind.

Thanks
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first step should be to check our file section to see if we already have upgrades for any of your devices, as that will save you a lot of time. If our upgrades are missing any buttons, you can fix that by adding them.

The next step, for devices that we don't have, is to learn all the buttons from one of the remotes, then convert those learns into an upgrade, either using the automated button or doing it by hand, whichever way works the best. Then repeat for each of the remotes that you want to incorporate into your JP1 remote.

In each case, learn ALL of the buttons, not just the ones that you think you need, so that your upgrade file is complete. You don't have to assign all of the functions to buttons, only assign the ones that you need to use.

Then, if you want to take things to the next level, the next step is to find functions that your device supports that are not on the original remote. The upgrade files that Dave and I posted might help with this as they likely have functions included that your upgrade doesn't have. Test them, if they don't work, ignore them, if they do, add them to your upgrade (even if you don't need them).

Another thing that most of the experts here do with a new device is to test all of the "gap OBCs". When you look at the list of functions in your upgrade, if you sort them in OBC order, you will notice gaps. We like to test those gaps to see if they do anything, and if they do, we add them to our upgrades.

Once your upgrade file is complete, load a copy of it into our file section. Actually, you don't need to wait until it's perfect, you can load a first draft and then update it later. We often get people who say they'll load the file once it's perfect and, of course, they never do.
Ant1375

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
The first step should be to check our file section to see if we already have upgrades for any of your devices, as that will save you a lot of time. If our upgrades are missing any buttons, you can fix that by adding them.

The next step, for devices that we don't have, is to learn all the buttons from one of the remotes, then convert those learns into an upgrade, either using the automated button or doing it by hand, whichever way works the best. Then repeat for each of the remotes that you want to incorporate into your JP1 remote.

In each case, learn ALL of the buttons, not just the ones that you think you need, so that your upgrade file is complete. You don't have to assign all of the functions to buttons, only assign the ones that you need to use.

Then, if you want to take things to the next level, the next step is to find functions that your device supports that are not on the original remote. The upgrade files that Dave and I posted might help with this as they likely have functions included that your upgrade doesn't have. Test them, if they don't work, ignore them, if they do, add them to your upgrade (even if you don't need them).

Another thing that most of the experts here do with a new device is to test all of the "gap OBCs". When you look at the list of functions in your upgrade, if you sort them in OBC order, you will notice gaps. We like to test those gaps to see if they do anything, and if they do, we add them to our upgrades.

Once your upgrade file is complete, load a copy of it into our file section. Actually, you don't need to wait until it's perfect, you can load a first draft and then update it later. We often get people who say they'll load the file once it's perfect and, of course, they never do.

Thanks for the information. Also wanted to ask is it possible to have one larger upgrade with all of my 5 devices inside or do they have to be 5 individual upgrades with their own unique codes?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would one larger upgrade work? If you assign this larger upgrade to a device button, which device would it control? Perhaps if you tell me what you're trying to do, rather than how you want to do it, I can better help.
Ant1375

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
How would one larger upgrade work? If you assign this larger upgrade to a device button, which device would it control? Perhaps if you tell me what you're trying to do, rather than how you want to do it, I can better help.

Sorry my mistake. I understand now each upgrade has to be assigned to its individual control button (example TV, Audio etc). I thought there may of been be a way to have to create all the 5 upgrades and assign them all at once to the remote so each one would auto assign to the correct Control button. I totally understand that this makes no sense so please ignore the query.

I am almost finished making individual upgrades for all my controllers then plan to upgrade each one to the remote and assign each upgrade to the correct device control button. I want to achieve this firstly then make a backup of my files before I have a look at creating macros.
Ant1375

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the URC 3661 when learning remote functions soes it mater how long the button is held on the original remote?

The reason I ask is I noticed on the volume up and down buttons there seems to be a small issue. Allow me to explain , the TV shows volume level as a number for example 5 , so on the original remote if your press volume up 4 times the numbers go up as follows 5,6,7,8,9 and same if you press Volume down its goes does by 1 each time.

BUT
on the URC 3661 some times the Volume up skips a level so for example if Volume is on 5 and you press it 4 times it goes 5,7,8,11,13. It is not consistent so if I press the Volume up button firmly and not too quickly then it sometimes works as the original remote.

I was thinking as the remote is new it may just be the rocker buttons settling in and with a little use it be fix itself.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally speaking, these are the steps for capturing a good learn:
1. Line the 2 remotes up for learning
2. Put the JP1 remote into learning mode
3. Wait a moment then...
4. Press and hold the teaching remote button
5. When the JP1 remote indicates a successful learn, stop pressing the teaching remote button.

The reason for the brief delay in step 3 is to make sure you don't miss the beginning portion of the IR signal. In signals like NEC1, all of the important data is in the first half of the signal, everything after that just indicates that the signal is repeating, so by itself that repeating string is meaningless.

Also, it's important to let the JP1 remote capture the complete signal so that it can identify the repeating portion. If you let go of the teaching remote button too soon, it may capture the whole things as one signal, and if that one signal just happens to include (let's say) 4 repeats, then every press will send 4 repeats.

See if this Wiki page helps any...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php/The_Correct_Learning_Procedure

But regardless, for a JP1 user, learning should only be needed to capture the codes, which you can then use to add them to an upgrade or create keymoves. There should be no need to leave a learned signal in your final remote profile.

Let me ask you, do you only get this symptom with the learned signal, or do you also get it when you add the code to an upgrade?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: