JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

DeviceType&Setup Codes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:17 am    Post subject: DeviceType&Setup Codes Reply with quote

With a remote filled with upgrades I want to be able to manually Punch in the the code using the setup button on any device button.
So if the device is for instance a digital picture frame set as device type "Cable"
What is the best setup so it will work on any device button such as on the "TV" device button without remapping the button.
some of the devices will only be temporarily used and not permanent
I was thinking making all device upgrades of the same type and all device buttons the same as well. A "cable" device will not work on "TV" device button without remapping it as a "Cable" device. and the setup codes will have to be in the correct range for that device too
Im trying to setup a remote for someone so that they can use it without the aid of RMIR.

Any Suggestions ?
Any complications I may Run into ?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you already know, the way to program a CABLE code onto a TV device button is to first remap the TV button to be a CABLE button.

The only way that you could do what you want is to first, remap each device button to the same device type (eg, CABLE), then re-configure all of your upgrades to also be CABLE upgrades, and maybe give them better setup code numbers, like 2001, 2002, 2003, etc.

I would pick whichever device mode has the most buttons in it as the one to go with. And be careful when you change the upgrades to CABLE, because some button assignments might get converted to key moves, which you don't want.
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:06 pm    Post subject: DeviceType&Setup Codes Reply with quote

Thanks
Glad I asked
I had forgotten that some buttons might be converted to key moves
So now i know what precautions to take
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you find that keymoves are being generated, just move those functions to other spare buttons. I don't know which remote you are using for this but there are some remotes where you'll get something like, the PIP buttons are only included in TV mode, but TV mode doesn't include many other buttons, like the transport buttons, so you may have to pick the device mode with the most buttons and just not use the buttons that aren't included in it.
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:13 pm    Post subject: DeviceType&Setup Codes Reply with quote

Quote:
TV mode doesn't include many other buttons, like the transport buttons,

That is true with the URC-3660 the transport keys work in TV mode I will just have to check how i might or might not use "punch through" and maybe use activity. At least on tv, dvd and sound.
Some of the short term devices are digital picture frame mainly needed to reset device when power flickers, and seasonally there is lighted displays for the holidays and air conditioner in hot weather. All of the short term devices have minimal buttons so it really wont matter what buttons i assign them to.
With the device editor I can easily print out a keymap too

Thanks for the advice
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UEI remotes that take 5-digit setup codes don't need to be re-moded since the remote uses the first digit to tell it what kind of code it is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: