JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

new 15-135 refuses to learn

View previous topic :: View next topic  
plugh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: new 15-135 refuses to learn Reply with quote

Picked up a RS 15-135 during the most recent sale. Manual was confusing, but the sticky in this forum clarified the learn procedure.

Everything works OK when I do the learn sequence for keys in the TV device mode, but the unit fails during learn for CBL/SAT and DVD device modes (the only other ones I'm using).

Specifically, when I get to the step where I press the key to which I want to assign a learned code, instead of getting the fast flashing led, I get 'very long on, short off, medium long on, off' instead. I've tried factory reset, and battery removal & discharge, and behaviour is consistent.

One note: When I got my purchase home and went to open it up, the blister pack was not sealed, and the unit already had batteries in it.(?) Didn't think much about it at the time, but now...

Do I have a bad unit? Do I have a unit someone previously loaded 'something' into and then returned? Comments?

Thanks!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are a JP1 user, download the memory and take a look to see what's in there. Maybe the memory was already full, though a reset should have cleared that.

Even after doing a reset, do you get the same symptoms? ie, you can learn in TV mode but not CBL or DVD modes? Are you sure that you're not filling the memory with the TV learns before trying the CBL learns?

Furthermore, why are you trying to use the learning feature? Is it because you have devices for which there aren't any codes in the remote, or is it to program buttons that are not included in the setup codes that you found?

If it's the latter reason, you may be able to program the missing buttons using advanced codes. Give us more info and we will try to provide the codes.

If you can't find codes, tell us the devices and we'll see if there are any matching codes in the remote.
plugh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have a JP1 interface cable or software (though I'll probably get there one day - I'm pretty sure I've got all the parts to build one).

Yes, even after reset and discharge I get same behaviour.

No, I don't think I've filled memory; in my latest attempt, I only programmed *one* TV key after reinit (just to verify it worked) and still was unable to program a CBL or DVD key.

I was using the learning feature to 'tweak' the preprogrammed setups for the TV/CBL/DVD. (I'm actually pretty impressed that the builtins are as good as they are.) For example, device code 00877 seems to be a pretty good match for my Scientific Atlanta cable box, but it doesn't provide yellow(A) blue(B) and red(C) key mappings.

Any other thoughts as to what might be going on?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have moved this thread to the NON-JP1 forum as you're not a JP1 user.

I don't have any idea what might be going wrong with your remote. If you had a JP1 cable we might be able to investigate by looking at the memory dump.

Redarding why you're using learning, as I mentioned before, if it's just to fill in the gaps, you can usually also do that using advanced codes. The only example you posted was setup code CBL/0877 where you're missing the ABC buttons, so here are the advanced codes for those three buttons.

A = 00125
B = 00066
C = 00062

Assuming that CBL/0877 is programmed to the CBL device button, here's how you would program the 'A' function...

1) Press CBL
2) Press and hold SETUP, two flashes
3) Type 994, two flashes
4) Press and release SETUP
5) Type 00125 (the 'A' code)
6) Press ??? (the button that you want to program).

Then repeat for the other 2 codes.
plugh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about posting in wrong forum - thought this was for 'non-jp1 remotes' rather than 'non-jp1 programming' topics. Embarassed

Tried your advanced codes, and it took them without any problems. Out of curiosity I then tried doing a learn again (perhaps some memory structure was now init'd?) and it still failed - the same 'very long on / short off / medium long on / off' Sad

However, I did some more experimenting - AND FIGURED IT OUT Very Happy

When I learn on the TV device, I get the fast flashing LED as expected. If I *don't* actually send it an IR signal what I get is 'flashing long time / short off / medium long on / off'.

And the duration of 'flashing long time' seems to be the same as the 'very long on' I get when attempting learn under the other device keys.

So I tried it again, and when I got the 'very long on' I sent an IR signal - AND IT ACCEPTED IT Surprised

Apparently the difference is that under the TV key I get the visibly 'fast flashing' LED during a learn, but under the others I get a visibly 'solid on' LED during a learn. However in BOTH cases the remote is actually waiting for an input IR signal. The 'very long on' is NOT an error indicator as I assumed.

IE the problem/issue is the LED "waiting for IR input" signal is differant.

Hmmm... I wonder if I cracked open the case and put a scope on the LED if it really IS 'solid on' or if it is just flashing to fast to see. In any event, this looks like a small bug in the MCU code. I'm just surprised noone else has noted it; hopefully this post may help others down the road...

Thanks for the help.

Next up - throw together an interface cable and start dabbling Surprised
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plugh wrote:
Sorry about posting in wrong forum - thought this was for 'non-jp1 remotes' rather than 'non-jp1 programming' topics. Embarassed

No probs. We have the different forums as it helps us know how to answer the questions. For example, with the question in the JP1 forums, we'd be likely to ask you to download the memory and post your file. With the question in the Non-JP1 forum, we would know that you don't have a cable, so that's not an option.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plugh,

I've seen both the flashing and solid during learns on the 135. Seems like one of my 135's flashed properly for a while and then after a week or so went solid. I just assumed I'd broken something. But it continued to learn ok. Like you say, it's as if the flash frequency increased so it only appears solid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: