JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Connecting a JP1.1 remote via USB
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ddp_JP1 wrote:
I also have what is hopefully a pretty basic question. I'm trying to set up the remote to use to control a relatively recent Samsung smart TV. I created an upgrade that includes the arrow keys and uploaded it to the remote. I created the update as VCR and uploaded it to TV. When I press the arrow keys, the Cable light illuminates, and the codes I want aren't sent. Do I need to use different devices for the upgrade and the device I assign it to? Is there a setting like VPT that I need to set? Although I very much like and appreciate JP1, I tend to program remotes infrequently and to forgot a lot of what I've learned before when I do. Thanks very much.

I think we'd need to see your RMIR file to see if you made any obvious mistakes. Maybe also, try downloading from the remote after you've loaded it to see if the remote wiped out your upgrade.

If you do post a file for us to look at, please post a link to it to save us having to do a search to find it.
ddp_JP1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Thanks for posting the link. Apologies for not doing that before.

I created a new upgrade for the TV and uploaded it to Cable and used the built in code for Samsung TV for TV. This looks like it may have solved the problem, but I still need to test it. Thanks again!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The setup code number that you assign to your upgrade doesn't have any bearing on whether it will work or not. I typically call my upgrades 2000, for no particular reason. If you use the same device type and setup code number as a built in setup code, it will block the built in code, but other than that, it makes no difference what number you use.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the download file. The fixed data byte in your remote is FF rather than the FE of my remote. This suggests to me that your remote is an older version of the Comcast URC-1058, with the fixed data identifiying versions counting backwards from FF. I have created a new RDF for it, naming the remote as Comcast-URC-1058(old). Please download this RDF and copy it to the RDF subfolder of your RMIR installation. If you now download the remote, you should no longer get the fixed data mismatch message and the remote will be identified as Comcast-URC-1058(old). Save this as a .rmir file, as if you load the .rmir file you posted into RMIR you will still get the mismatch message because the model of remote is stored in the .rmir file.
ddp_JP1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham,

Thanks very much. I copied the RDF into the relevant folder and downloaded the remote. As you explained, I did not get the type mismatch error.

Rob,

Thank you as well. To confirm, the type of device upgrade I create (e.g., TV, VCR) and the designation on the remote to which I assign it (e.g., TV, Cable, VCR) don't matter as long as the device type and upgrade number pairing is unique? I may be misremembering, but I thought that in some circumstances certain buttons on particular devices were locked to other devices. So even if those buttons were defined in a device upgrade, they would be ignored because the remote automatically substitutes buttons from other devices. I know that this can be the case for VPT, but I also thought that it was more broadly true for some cable devices. Is that at all correct? Thanks again.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ddp_JP1 wrote:
Rob, Thank you as well. To confirm, the type of device upgrade I create (e.g., TV, VCR) and the designation on the remote to which I assign it (e.g., TV, Cable, VCR) don't matter as long as the device type and upgrade number pairing is unique? I may be misremembering, but I thought that in some circumstances certain buttons on particular devices were locked to other devices. So even if those buttons were defined in a device upgrade, they would be ignored because the remote automatically substitutes buttons from other devices. I know that this can be the case for VPT, but I also thought that it was more broadly true for some cable devices. Is that at all correct? Thanks again.

I was just saying that the setup code number doesn't matter (ie, the 1234 part of VCR/1234). One of your earlier posts implied that you changed the setup code number to the one used for the official setup code.

The VCR part of VCR/1234 is called the "device mode" and that does make a difference. Most remotes have a different collection of buttons defined for each device mode, so we typically either chose the device mode that has the most buttons or the one that has more buttons that we're intending to use.

Finally, which device button you chose can sometimes make a difference too. I think this mainly applies to older remotes, but it used to be the case that if you assigned an upgrade to a different device button (like assigning VCR/1234 to the TV button, rather than the VCR button) resulted in VPT not working for that device. So that could be a balancing act, maybe you chose VCR mode because it has 3 more buttons in it, but now you're going to need 3 keymoves to fix the volume buttons.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: