JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Connecting a JP1.1 remote via USB
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Remote not found Pics Reply with quote

curiosity took remote apart just one SST chip inside
here are pics

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26332
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An SST chip means this is a JP1.1 remote, and given that you got a signature of "0102", it makes me think this is a "CS400102 Atlas URC-1047 BA0" remote.

We've only seen 3 SST remotes so far, and I seem to remember them needing something a bit different in how we connect them, but I don't remember.

But, you definitely do NOT need to use the adapter. So maybe if you try connecting without the adapter and give that rmaster.err file to Graham to look at, we might get somewhere.
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Remote not found Reply with quote

If it is indeed jp1.1 the wiring circuit is different and a different cable is needed from what i remember when i last played with a JP1.1.
Also the last JP1.1 blew out my FTDI cable so i am surprised this one is still good
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Remote not found Reply with quote

website too slow at the moment to upload rmaster.err
but it reads the same as if i had no remote connected to it at all
so this remote is a lost cause
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet it would work if connected using the right cable, I just don't remember the specifics, maybe someone else does, or you could do a search.

I do recall that, when we first invented JP1.x cables, some were good for JP1.1 and JP1.2 but not JP1.3, and then some were good for JP1.2 and JP1.3 but not JP1.1, or something like that, and it was all to do with either connecting or disconnecting one of the wires. This was all before we discovered that off-the-shelf FTDI cables work. Given that we only connect 4 wires on the FTDI cable, it may be as simple as connecting a 5th wire, not sure.
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Found and re posted the schematic for the JP 1.1 interface in the diagnosis area
Unfortunately i do not have the time to build it
Maybe some day though

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26334
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original of that is still in our file section here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=6013
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 4:11 am    Post subject: Remote not found Reply with quote

The odds are slim I will ever build it though.
I just have too many other things to do
But maybe in a few years if it peaks my curiosity
I have decided to burn all pertinent information
onto a cd disk and keep that info packed with the remote for future reference
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for laughs, if you have a loose wire FTDI cable available, you could try connecting the CTS line to pin 5 and see if that does anything. I know that when we first invented cables for JP1.1 remotes, in order to make them work with JP1.3, we had to cut the wire going to pin 5.

There is another alternative here, you could donate it to science. Graham (mathdon) has one of every type of JP1 remote except a JP1.1 remote, and given that there are only 3 JP1.1 remotes out there (2 Comcast and 1 Atlas), they are quite rare now. So, if you were to donate this remote to Graham, he could then test with it and possibly make some coding changes to handle it.
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Remote not found Reply with quote

I am not too sure Mathdon wants to pursue this any further
But yeah If Mathdon wants to try it he can have this one
and i think i have a comcast one too if i have not thrown it out already
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said in an earlier post about not pursuing it further as I could not see anything I could do without actually having the remote. Now we know it is JP1.1, I am again very interested. I believe RMIR will handle JP1.1 remotes with an appropriate cable, but I don't think that has ever been tested. If you have a loose-wire FTDI cable and can do as Rob suggests, I would suggest you try it with IR.exe as that (presumably) is known to work with JP1.1. That is the first thing I would do if I had it, as I do have such a cable.

I would love to have a JP1.1 remote to "complete my set" so that I can test RMIR with it. I don't want to deprive you of it, but would very much like to take up your kind offer to let me have this remote, or the Comcast one if you still have that, after you have finished anything further you want to do yourself. You probably know that I am in the UK, so I am happy to refund the postage. If the offer still stands, send me a PM and I will let you have my postal address.
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Remote not found Reply with quote

Frankly i do not have the time nor the ambition to pursue it any further.
So yes offer still stands
You can have the JP 1.1 URC 4axxxbo3 Time Warner badged remote
I will PM you when and or if i find the comcast i would like to send you both

Also take a look at my old post about samsung remotes
Would you like one of these to see if you can make any sense of them

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=102414&highlight=
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now received both remotes safely from HamburgerHelper1, the Time Warner-badged one (labelled JP1 at the connector) and the Comcast (labelled JP1.1). Both remotes work but so far I have failed to communicate with either of them. I have tried two loose-wire cables from different suppliers with pin 5 connected to the blue wire that is supposed to be CTS, forming what I understand to be a JP1.1/1.2 cable. I have tested both with a JP1.2 remote and can download with both of them. Both cables give no remotes found when tried with the JP1.1 remotes, both with RMIR and with IR.exe. I have tried the connector both ways round, as the Comcast pins are unlabelled but pins 1 and 2 are labelled on the Time Warner one. I have also tried the Comcast with and without batteries, in case that is significant.

I am puzzled in particular by the inability to download from the Comcast with IR.exe, as I thought that was tried and tested. I will try to investigate further, but if Rob or anyone has further suggestions, they would be very welcome.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it was tried and tested, we were using cables designed for JP1.1 remotes. When JP1.3 came along, we found that we had to cut the wire going to pin5 to make our JP1.1 cables with with our JP1.3 remotes. This was long before we could get ready made FTDI cables on eBay.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's your knowledge of electronics? Here are links to Tommy Tyler's designs for both a JP1.1 and a JP1.2/3 interface, the main difference being that the JP1.1 needs 4 transistors and the other needs only 3. I don't know how to jump from this information to knowing if and how an FTDI cable can be used on a JP1.1 remote.

JP1.1
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=6013

JP1.2/3
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=5958

FTDI cable
https://ftdichip.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/DS_TTL-232R_CABLES.pdf
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: