JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Delcom JP1 USB installation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard drives are very cheap now, so it might be a good idea to buy another, and maybe get a big one while you're at it, like 1tb or 2tb or whatever your PC supports.
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Delcom JP1 USB installation Reply with quote

vickyg2003

I will try and make a bootable flash drive with linux and RMIR on it
If i am succesful i can give that to you.
If I ever have the time to make it i am very busy right now
It may not help you now but maybe in the future anyway
I will let you know when /if i ever get it done
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have two working Windows 7 machines!

I started out with the broken one, and restored it to my 2013 image, which had all the software for everything. That worked great, 185 updates later and I'm back in business with a working drive.

Next to be tackled was my husband's old DELL N5110. Glad I didn't start there, because I've worked on this for over 12 hours to get it up and running.

Since this computer was working I have a SATA cradle, I followed the instructions to clone a disk. The instructions on moving to an SSD drive failed to include a key step. After figuring that out I was back in business for a bit.

The Dell R5110 doesn't have access from the bottom. You have to remove everything.
You open the trap door, remove the memory.
Remove 10 screws off the bottom
Remove the DVD drive,
Remove the SD card blank face
Pry off the keyboard.
Disconnect the keyboard from the mother board.
Disconnect the remaining ribbons
Remove 4 screws
Pry off the face plate
Disconnect the wifii
Disconnect the monitor
Remove 4 more screw
remove the monitor
disconnect the wires from the mother board
Unscrew 5 more screws
Pry out the motherboard
Screw out 2 more screws 6 more screws and you have the hard drive out.
When putting it back to gether, I dropped a screw inside.
When I turned it back over, the screw, two cylinders and a mini circuit board were lying on my white paper towel. Oops.

Cylinders were the posts for the right hinge of the monitor.
mini circuit board was a Reed Switch Sensor Circuit Board - H7PRC , took me an hour of googling to figure out what that was and where it went.

Put the whole thing back together, and the keyboard didn't work, undo undo undo. Redo, redo redo.

It works! The spreadsheet that used to take 2 minutes to open now opens in 4 seconds.

I learned so much, but needless to say getting a spare hard drive to play this game all over again is outside what I'm willing to do in the name of JP1ing.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

user jmezz13 helped me get the Delcom issue sorted out, without his help, I'd still be twiddling my thumbs.

I also have my Jp1.2/3 cable running on 10

Here is a write-up of the procedure with screen shots.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25588

I updated the Delcom drivers with the words **Not for Windows 10** and I popped the writeup with the drivers too.

Edit: May 23, updated the document with pictures of the cable, and copied the verbose instructions on using a WinUSB by class ID for the more technical adept.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
joegovernale

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the write-up on how to use legacy on WIN 10. After installing the WinUSB Device driver and editing the registry, I still cannot get my JP1 USB Delcom cable to work. FWIW my OCAP adapter is working fine however I would like to update all my URC 8910s and 9910s.

My registry also contains an additional DeviceInterfaceGUIDs multiString setting that I notice the PDF example did not. Is this an issue?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joegovernale wrote:
My registry also contains an additional DeviceInterfaceGUIDs multiString setting that I notice the PDF example did not. Is this an issue?

Yes. I had exactly the same issue when following Vicky's instructions, that the cable didn't work and this entry was present. I just deleted that entry and then all was well.
joegovernale

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
joegovernale wrote:

Yes. I had exactly the same issue when following Vicky's instructions, that the cable didn't work and this entry was present. I just deleted that entry and then all was well.

Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I tried deleting the MultiString GUIDs entry, tried different remotes, rebooted several times. Even changed to other USB ports (both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0) editing the registry for each. The interface check succeeds and the driver status shows OK but I continue to get "JP12 Read failed 0.".
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joegovernale wrote:
I continue to get "JP12 Read failed 0."

That explains it! That is a message from IR.exe trying to read a JP1.x remote. If you must use IR.exe, then make sure you have selected the JP1 interface, not the JP1.x interface. However, IR.exe is obsolete and I would recommend instead that you use RMIR. If you have further problems, I can help with RMIR but not IR.exe. If you don't already have RMIR then please see this announcement of RMIR v2.08, the current version.
joegovernale

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RMIR replies "No remotes found". RMIR works for my OCAP remotes so thanks for bringing me up to date on that.
I can use IR to WAV to upload, I am trying to download learned commands. I am suspecting my JP1 cable is the issue.

FWIW, IR returns "No response from interface" when I set it to JP1. That's why I had tried JP1.x.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your Delcom cable is dead, you might like to know about this adapter from DIYgadget that enables you to program a JP1 remote with a JP1.x cable.
joegovernale

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the lead. And thanks for continuing to support this community.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do decide to get the DIY adapter, you can get an FTDI cable on ebay for under $10 shipped, see the following thread for details:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16360
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i was dinking around with the wrong settings my remote became unresponsive and required a 981 reset before it would work.

Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: