JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

URC6131 Pip Swap & Move
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiros wrote:
The TV is defined as a DVD device in KM. This allows EFC to be mapped to each key for that device. In IR, General tab I set type to TV. This inhibits the remote from responding to non TV keys, but the device tab still has them.

OK, you used DVD mode in KM to create the device upgrade, that's allowed. But, if you used TV mode in the general tab it means you assigned a TV code of somesort to the TV button, not the DVD upgrade that you created. So it sounds like the DVD upgrade you create is un-used at this point. It's totally OK to use the "wrong" mode when you create a device upgrade, but to complete the process, you need to assign the upgrade to a device button. For example, if you called your upgrade DVD/1234, you will need to assign DVD/1234 to the TV button for it to work.

(Note: when you use the wrong device type, you break VPT, so you may need to use keymoves to fix the volume in this mode).

Tiros wrote:
I was hoping to create a macro (I said keymove previously, sorry) tied to those inhibited keys.

What would this macro do? Regardless, like I said, your device upgrade needs to be assigned to a device button in order for you to be able to access it from a macro. (You can reference it using key moves though).

Tiros wrote:
I could set the type to DVD, but I didn't want users to be confused if they press an inhibited key and something happens.

I'm confused, do you want these buttons to perform the functions assigned to them or not?

Tiros wrote:
Something else I read led me to believe that you can create a macro with just keymoves. I guess you just put multiple EFC in the IR keymove area. Will this method work for the 6131?

OK, I'm not real sure I know what you're talking about here. My best guess is that you read about the method where people program a macro with steps "SETUP, 1, 2, 3" which would execute EFC 123. I've never understood the appeal of this method though. Is this what you were talking about? If not, point us to what you read and we'll explain it.

Tiros wrote:
I hope someone can define OBC, EFC and HexCmd. I would like to know the math to convert these data types and understand the distinction between them. Perhaps someone can point me to the document that describes exactly what these 3 fields are.

The EFC is the code you would need to use if you were to program a button manually using a key move, it's a scrambled version of the real code. The only reason our JP1 tools support these numbers is because there are so many EFC lists in circulation.

The Hex code is what's actually stored in the remote's memory.

The OBC is the logical interpretation of the code. This is the code the designer used when he laid out the buttons on the original remote.

There's really no need for you to have a greater understanding of these 2 terms than that, unless you're just curious. Knowing the formula for converting EFCs to OBCs won't help you get an upgrade working, for example.

Tiros wrote:
BTW Robman,
Do you know anything about PICS? I seem to remember your name being associated with another non JP1 hacking project. Wink

Nope, the only other non-remote control places you might have seen me on the web are the ReplayTV forum at AVS and some of the DVD forums, such as nerd-out.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: