JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Frustrated
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
es114

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

Understood all. But one more thing. After setup, how do I know which efc codes to assign to the functions or do I just cut and paste a bunch from the code list to the functions I've chosen and then input into buttons?

Seems odd to me but is that the way it works?

Thanks,

Eric
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

es114 wrote:
the instructions indicate to cut and paste EFC codes all at once.

I believe this line refers to taking a list of EFCs from an EFC list in the devices4.xls spreadsheet and transferring the list in its entirety to KM. Entering presumptions are (a) that you have downloaded devices4.xls and (b) that you know the setup code for this device as the spreadsheet has EFCs for many different setup codes. Being an old Sony device, it's likely that the setup code is there.

Having said that, I suggest that since an upgrade for a Sony CD changer already exists, as has been pointed out by several posters previously, go to that file
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/3.%20Device%20Codes/CD/SONY_CDP-C725.txt) and "Save Target As.." in a known location on your Hard Drive. Then in KM, click on "Load" - you should get a dialog box, asking for a file for you to load. (If you don't get the dialog box, you have NOT enabled macros) Browse over to the SONY_CDP-C725.txt file you just saved, and select it (thereby opening it w/ KM). On the first page, you should see all of the device, subdevice, etc. information filled in. You should also notice that the selected remote is a 15-2104. Use the associated drop-down list to chage that to YOUR remote (15-1994).

Then look at the "Functions Sheet" - there will be a LOT of functions there (not quite 255, but probably more that you have buttons). No guarantees, but it's pretty likely that many of the listed EFC's (with the device and protocol data fomr the front sheet) will properly operat your CD changer).

Next go the "Buttons" sheet. There you will see what functions (EFCs) the guy who built THIS upgrade assigned to what buttons on the remote. You may choose to keep this layout, or alter it any way you wish (I notice that he had no "numeral" functions assigned to any buttons. Only Disc selections. You might want to change that - or not).

After you have assigned all of the functions to the buttons you desire, go back to the "Setup sheet" and click on the little "Copy" icon bnutton in the "Device Upgrade" section. This copies the necessary data for the upgrade to your clipboard - the format ought not concern you. The go to IR, on the "Device Upgrade" sheet click on "Add Device" and paste your clipboard contents into the box that opens. Once the Device Upgrade is loaded in IR, ensure THAT Device Upgrade is selected as your "CD" Device on the "General" Tab of IR. Upload to the remote and test.

I don't know how to make it much clearer, but I know the experts will continue trying to help you as long as you continue to make an effort to understand what the "read-me"'s are actually saying and not expect someone to INFER and GUESS what your difficulties are. The documentation is written VERY SPECIFICALLY, in my experience, and you must pay attention to details to properly understand and interpret what is written. These are tremendously powerful tools and many (myself included) who are NOT particularly computer-savvy have bludgeoned our way through the process of learning JP1, and disparaging the tremendous work they've done here isn't fair if you haven't made the connection on how to use the tools, as the documentation is, for the most part, SUPERIOR!
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

es114 wrote:
After setup, how do I know which efc codes to assign to the functions or do I just cut and paste a bunch from the code list to the functions I've chosen and then input into buttons?

What does "after setup" mean?

Whether you take pre-existing upgrades from the Device upgrade file section over at Yahoo, or you use generic upgrades from the "devices4.xls" spreadsheet, YOU do not "assign" EFC's to functions. The sources you are using already have EFC's assigned to functions. Use THOSE EFC-to-Function assignments.
es114

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much. Finally catching on. I do not have devices4.xls which is one problem and have been unable to download the links offerred before due to some wierd internet problems. I'm getting closer now due to your help.

Eric
es114

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And finally success with copying the cd changer in the jp1 files. Thanks much to all. Although the "0" button works on play and the play button doesn't work, I'll look for better mapping for that key.

Thanks to all for your patience and cooperation!

Eric Very Happy
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

es114 wrote:
Mark,

Understood all. But one more thing. After setup, how do I know which efc codes to assign to the functions or do I just cut and paste a bunch from the code list to the functions I've chosen and then input into buttons?

Seems odd to me but is that the way it works?

Thanks,

Eric

Eric,
The beauty of the way the current tools work is that most people don't need to figure out all the stuff you are trying to figure out, in other words, you are making things much harder for yourself than they need to be.

I'm betting that there is an upgrade available for every device in your system, so you won't need to build one yourself for any of them.

Using ready made upgrades is easy, here's how...

1) Go to the Yahoo group and download the upgrade in question.
2) Open KM
3) Click on the LOAD button
4) Select the upgrade file that you saved in step 1
5) Change the selected remote to your remote
6) OPTIONAL: go to the Buttons sheet and re-arrange the buttons to suit your taste
7) Go back to the Setup sheet and cut & paste the upgrade blocks over to IR.exe
8) Load it into your remote
mytime45

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic was very helpfull to me.
I have RS 15-2117 remote with JP-1 cable. The only ugrade I have problem with is Sony CDP-CX335. I have tried all diffrent upgrades for sony cd changers with no luck. The link in this post has no power on button, and when I turned the power on manually it still does not work.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mytime45 wrote:
This topic was very helpfull to me.
I have RS 15-2117 remote with JP-1 cable. The only ugrade I have problem with is Sony CDP-CX335. I have tried all diffrent upgrades for sony cd changers with no luck. The link in this post has no power on button, and when I turned the power on manually it still does not work.

Something that hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet, but ought to be, is the OUTSTANDING collection (and maintenance, I might add) of Sony device codes and function assignments/EFCs at "the other Rob's" site.

I recommend you muck about in THERE for a while before admitting defeat.

If there's no Power On (I presume you mean "Discrete On") then you may have to resort to a macro (does "Play" cause the CD player to power up? Then a "Play,Stop" Macro will give you "Power On" and "Play, Power" will give you "Power Off"), or barring that, ToadTog protocol.
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mytime45 wrote:
The only ugrade I have problem with is Sony CDP-CX335. I have tried all diffrent upgrades for sony cd changers with no luck. The link in this post has no power on button, and when I turned the power on manually it still does not work.
One other thing that ought to be mentioned here is that some Sony CD changers have the ability to operate with one of three different device codes. You might try this file, which contains KM files for each of the three possible codes. If you find the power buitton works on one of them, then you should have a good starting point.
mytime45

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
I have tried CD1, D2, CD3 files: nothing

Capn Trips,
I'm going to try "the other Rob's" site.

Thank you guys anyway.

Andrew
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mytime45 wrote:
The only ugrade I have problem with is Sony CDP-CX335. I have tried all diffrent upgrades for sony cd changers with no luck.

If you still have the OEM remote, you can learn to the 2117, download to IR, and see what the signals decode as. From there, you ought to be able to make your own upgrade.
es114

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew,

Let me know how you make out searching for more accurate codes. I discovered many differences from the download I installed. Still not confident how to program individual keys.

Thanks,

Eric
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

es114 wrote:
Still not confident how to program individual keys.

You've found a file that at least works partially, correct? If so, which one is it?

You can change around the button assignments on the Buttons sheet if you want to rearrange things a bit. If you're looking for addtional functions not currently in the upgrade, then it might be worth browsing the Sony codes site Capn Trips mentioned earlier. It's probably THE most complete library of Sony codes there is, other than Sony themselves! Wink
es114

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

OK. I'm looking for the real "play" button as play works as the "0" button on my remote now works the play function. How do I change?

Eric
mytime45

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, guys.
Well, I took 3 tries to download CD2 file (that, is the position for CD switch on my original remote). All my equipment is in RS 15-2117.
There is more work ahead, but not tonight.
Thanks again.
Andrew
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: