JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Frustrated
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you install the analysis toolpack in excel?

there is a sony cdp cd changer here.

If you cant get KM working, RM is another equally good choice I think.

Happy Chanukah,
JP1Files
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

es114 wrote:
Went into security and reduced it to low. Still can't enable macros. Using Excel 2000.

If you did that with KM open, you need to close it (DO NOT save any changes) and then reopen it. If a spreadsheet doesn't have macros enabled when it's first loaded, you can't enable them while it is.
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

es114 wrote:
Where would I find the right EFC's?
If you had a remote that could control it, you could use the learn funciton of the 1994 remote (I think they have learning, right?) to learn some buttons and then upload your 1994 to IR and click the learn tab to see the efcs.
JP1Files
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usblipitor wrote:
Did you install the analysis toolpack in excel?

For future reference, the Toolpak has NOTHING to do with macros in KM. The Toolpak is used by KM's formulas to calculate all the various codes, etc. Macros are used to drive the user interface, and the command buttons on the Setup sheet require macro support.

All macro usage is controlled by Excel's security settings. A setting of Low (not recommended) allows you to open ANY spreadsheet with macros enabled (this is potentially bad if you don't know the source). Medium will prompt you each time a spreadsheet that uses macros is opened. High never allows macros to run.
es114

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

Thanks. Got the macros working.

Searching for a my cd codes.

Eric
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
For future reference, the Toolpak has NOTHING to do with macros in KM.
I was asking if he had the toolpak not to solve the macro problem, but because I figured this is his first time using KM and if he does not have the toolpak, he won't have access to the HEX2DEC and DEC2HEX functions. It took me a while the first time to get the toolpacks installed as I had to find the original excel disks. I was surprised that I found them at all (this place is such a mess, I need to hire a maid Smile ).

Um, Eric, did you install the excel analysis toolpack(s) (there are two of them I believe, right mark) ?
JP1Files
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

es114 wrote:
Searching for a my cd codes.
Try checking here: RIGHT CLICK HERE and "Save Target As.." to save the file, then use the load button in KM to load the file.

Happy Chanukah,
JP1Files
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usblipitor wrote:
I figured this is his first time using KM and if he does not have the toolpak, he won't have access to the HEX2DEC and DEC2HEX functions.

That's rather obvious because KM shows an error message right on the Setup sheet (white text on a red background that can't be missed) when the Toolpak is not available.

I posted my reply not to chastise you, but to reinforce the fact that the Toolpak and macros are NOT related, i.e. one has nothing to do with the other. Unfortunately, there isn't an easy way to show that macros are disabled due to the way Excel handles opening spreadsheets.
es114

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

Thanks for trying but I'm still nowhere. I enabled excel for toolpaks but now I'm wondering if they are installed. I clicked on your links Steve, but can't get them to run.

Still very confused.

Eric
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

es114 wrote:
I clicked on your links Steve, but can't get them to run.
Eric,
when you right-click you mouse on the blue links, you will get a menu and one of the options is "Save Target As..". Pick this option, and save the file onto your computer. Then, go into KM, and press the load button, and load the file you just saved.

another wonderful way to do it, thanks to mark, is the import button (which I like, and use often). using this, you would just left click on my blue link, then from the edit menu click select all, then click copy to put it on your clipboard, then go to KM and click the import button.

last but not least you can come over to my house and we can do it together Smile

Merry Christmas,
JP1Files
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

es114 wrote:
I enabled excel for toolpaks but now I'm wondering if they are installed.

If you're not seeing the big red error message on the Setup sheet, then the Toolpak is properly installed and enabled. Wink
es114

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No error message. No luck. Confused

Eric
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

es114 wrote:
No error message. No luck.

I understand the "no error message" (which is a GOOD thing), but you're confusing me with the "no luck". Confused No luck with what?
es114

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

I don't want to appear a pest but I have had no luck in this process. I simply do not follow the instructions printed out. As I stated earlier, some are outdated and some assume too much. Even the setup page is confusing on KM. Use me as a test case but if this group is to grow it will need easier instructions. I have the sony CD, Panasonic DVD, Sony TIVO sat60, Marantz sr92, philips vcr, that I would like to coordinate better on my 15-994. So far I have been able to do nothing after 2 full days of trying to interpret the instructions.

Eric
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

es114 wrote:
Use me as a test case but if this group is to grow it will need easier instructions.

As I said, they are a bit outdated, but the concepts are still the same. The screen shots are different, but the data fields are the same, etc. I'll be the first to admit the instructions can be daunting, but while there's only 700+ members here, we've had over 14,000 come through the doors at the old Yahoo group, so at least a few understood them. Wink JP1 isn't rocket science, but it's not all that difficult, either. It just takes time and patience...

Quote:
I have the sony CD, Panasonic DVD, Sony TIVO sat60, Marantz sr92, philips vcr, that I would like to coordinate better on my 15-994.

Have you been through the upgrade files at Yahoo to see if there's any that already match your devices? Most of them seem pretty mainstream, so there's a good chance all the hard work has been done for you already (no need to re-invent the wheel if you don't have to).

If you see a file that looks like it might apply to one of your devices, save it to your hard drive, and load it into KM. Make sure the proper remote is selected, then go to the Buttons sheet and make sure the buttons are assigned to your liking. Then copy the upgrade code over to IR, upload to the remote, and try it out.

If you don't find any files, but do have the OEM remotes, try learning them to the 1994, download to IR, and see how the signals decode on the Learned Signals tab. You should get all the info you need to build an upgrade in KM (unless it's a newer device and/or an obscure protocol).

Lastly, you can try the code search function on the remote itself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: