JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Use JP1 to find Parental Control Code

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dks

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Use JP1 to find Parental Control Code Reply with quote

We've lost our parental control code for our TV. There is no way to retreive it - I have talked directly with the manufacturer who has confirmed this with me.

I was wondering if it is possible to use JP1 to program a macro to try every possible code (4 digit number, 10000 codes) in sequence to find the one that works. Ie. Brute force.

Has this been done? and is it possible?
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Writing in the assembly language of the chosen remote, you could program a jp1 remote to send a numeric sequence of 10000 complex macros. But even if you knew that assembly language, I'm not sure it is practical.

A lot depends on what the TV does when you hit the right code. The remote can't know that the TV accepted a code so it would go on executing the macro. So what would the macro do that would let you either change or learn the code as a result of executing that macro?

The TV can probably accept fewer than 5 signals per second. The maco is obviously more than four signals per code, so probably more than three hours to hit the code. So you want to be able to just leave it, not watch it the whole time to stop soon after success.

A PC running LIRC with an IR transmitter would make the programming much simpler than using assembly language in a JP1 remote. Most of the above issues would still apply. But the extra programming flexibility might make them more manageable.
jrh995

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dks,
Have you asked the manufacturer about doing a Factory Reset on the TV?
Doing this usually resets lockout codes to something like 0000 or 1234 etc.
There might be a combination of buttons to press on the TV or remote to do this. The other way would be to get access to a "Service Mode" on the TV where this could be done.
They might be reluctant to give you this information but you could ask.
A search on the internet for the "Model # and Service Mode" might get results.
Try looking on AVS Forum in the Display Devices forum for your make and model for info or post a question.
If it is important enough to you, I would find a TV service repair shop and offer to pay them if they could give you the correct info.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: