JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RMIR 1.97 64 bit issues

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wnewell

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:07 am    Post subject: RMIR 1.97 64 bit issues Reply with quote

Maybe I'm just confused all to heck, but rmir 1.97 archive seems to be really screwed up for 64 bit users. Extracted as is, rmir doesn't even have a serial driver in the amd-64 dir. So, I copy the one from the amd-46 dir over, and now there's a serial driver, but it doesn't work, no remote found, and appears to lock up my remote. So I delete that driver and copy the one I compiled to the amd-64 dir and it works. Download from remote no problem. But on upload, verify fail with data doesn't match or something like that, but everything appears to be ok when I download from remote and look at it. I guess my question is why the amd-46 dir and where did the serial driver in it come from. It was compiled on the 14th and I thought I had the first 64 bit driver working and I didn't get it working til the 15th. What am I missing here? All I know for sure is that it won't work for 64 bit as is.

And of the device code numbers over 2048 you know about.

I'm wondering if the failed upload message is because of my cable. I got it from diygadgets and I haven't traced out any of the pins to see if pin 5 is open or not. But it's worked fine for me with ir.exe, but I'm not sure if ir.exe verifies uploads either..
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the problems you are having.

You have to understand that RMIR is still in alpha stage, so there's lots of things that work for one type or remote or OS that won't for another type of remote or OS. There's other things that don't work at all.

I made a typo when packaging it up and the 64-bit jp12 serial driver ended up in the wrong folder. I've replaced the RemoteMaster.v1.97.zip file on sourceforge with a correction for the folder name. You have to re-download it, and make sure you don't get a cached version. I've verified that the file on sourceforge no longer has a Linux-amd46 folder and the Linux-amd64 folder contains libjp12serial.so.

I built all the jp1serial drivers in the .zip file. I built the 64-bit version on a wubi installation of Ubuntu 9.04. I build the 32-bit version on a Ubuntu 9.04 VM.

Maybe my 64-bt build is no good. I have no way to test it.

I don't know about the upload verify fail message. It may be real or it may be a bug. You could save before uploading, then save to a different file after downloading and compare the [Buffer] sections of the before/after files and see what if anything has changed
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
WagonMaster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gfb107 wrote:

I've been planning to test it on my 64-bit Slackware 13.0 installation but didn't have time yesterday. I'll be doing that later today and will report whatever I find, whether it be "success" or "failure".

wnewell wrote:
Download from remote no problem. But on upload, verify fail with data doesn't match or something like that, but everything appears to be ok when I download from remote and look at it.

I've been getting this message under certain conditions for a while. I mentioned it offhandedly in one of my other posts, but nobody else commented, so I wasn't sure if I was the only one seeing it or not.

I'm going to open a new thread on this particular issue, since I don't think it fits particularly well under the title of this thread and is really an issue all its own, as you'll see.

Bill
WagonMaster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: RMIR 1.97 64 bit issues Reply with quote

wnewell wrote:
So, I copy the one from the amd-46 dir over, and now there's a serial driver, but it doesn't work, no remote found, and appears to lock up my remote. So I delete that driver and copy the one I compiled to the amd-64 dir and it works. Download from remote no problem.

OK, I've done some preliminary testing of V1.97 under my 64-bit OS (Slackware 13.0).

Like 'wnewell' seemed to hint at, I too was getting a "No remotes found!" error when I tried to download from the remote. But I'd already noticed that the dialog brought up via "Remote", "Interface", "JP1.x Serial..." wasn't showing the usual ports (e.g. "/dev/ttyS0" ... "/dev/ttyUSB0").

Based on that, I checked the permissions on those devices and found that RMIR needs to have read/write permission for "others". Basically, this command is needed: "chmod o+rw /dev/tty*S*" or some equivalent to grant permissions for your ports. For permanent setting, you may have to modify your 'udev' "rules" file. My suggestion is for temporary testing only.

Once I granted those permissions, the download from the remote was working fine. This is using the 'libjp12serial.so' that Greg built and distributed with v1.97.

gfb107 wrote:
It seems fine to me, based on preliminary testing.

'wnewell', please try the permissions fix and kindly let us know if that solves that issue for you (or isn't a problem in the first place). This may not be your problem, since you said that using your self-compiled library fixed things, if I understood you correctly. But if your permissions were a problem, then use of your own library should not have fixed your problem.

P.S. I need to see why I wan't having this problem when I tested an older version of RMIR on this 64-bit machine/OS a while back. Something isn't making sense here but I thought I'd report what I'd found so far.

Bill
wnewell

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I found the problem. It wasn't permissions and it's not Greg's driver. It was pin 3 of the idc connector of my jp1.2/3 cable. When I'd get a failure with the new driver, it would lock up the remote so I'd have to remove the batteries to get it going again. By shear coincidence I guess it made contact the times I ran my driver. I found this today when my driver didn't work either and neither would ir.exe so I started looking elsewhere The contacts in pin 3 are very weak compared to the other 5 pins. I found this when I was running a continuity check on the cable. Anyway, sorry for all the to do about nothing. It was just really weird how it presented itself. Also, after 4 or 5 downloads I finally also got the correct version of 1.97 from sourceforge. This has happened before but it just didn't register.

As for the failed uploads popup, I didn't get it on every upload. I think it may have something to do with some keymoves I made that's not allowed. Requires more investigation, but doesn't appear to be a problem anyway. I wiped one of my remotes clean and did a new upload with 6 upgrades and they seem to work fine.

Still need to allow higher device code numbers though. Until then I'll have to use wine and ir.exe with the rcrp05b remote.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a beta version of v1.98 that includes the fix for setup codes up to 4095 for remotes that support them.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/controlremote/files/RemoteMaster/v1.98/RemoteMaster.v1.98beta2.zip/download
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
wnewell

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the beta Greg. I'll give it a try.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: