JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Expressvu upgrade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomintheVan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject: Expressvu upgrade Reply with quote

Well, I think I have progressed from newbie to novice. My jp1 interface now works reliably and I've found upgrades for a couple of my devices and I'm now working on my expressvu PVR 5800. Here's where I'm puzzled.

The device responds to setup code 775 (cbl/sat) but doesn't include all keys I want. I could learn the keys, but an upgrade seemed easier, so I looked in the files section and found several possibilities so I tried the PVR 721 upgrade as a staring point. It seemed to set the EFCs identical to those specified for setup code 775.

In order to get the unit/device codes I learned a couple of keys and uploaded them into IR. Then the puzzle...

IR reports the protocol of the PVR remote as JVC-A at 57.1 KHz. That isn't one listed in protocols. The EFCs of the learned codes match the codes of the same keys in the PVR 721 upgrade, but the OBCs and hex codes don't. I thought I understood the EFC/OBC relationship but I guess I don't have it. So here's my questions:
1. What is JVC-A and how do I deal with this?
2. what's with the OBC/Hex code difference?
3. how do I proceed from here (or do I have to backtrack)?

Thanks for any help you can provide. I'm certainly starting to appreciate the enormous amount of work that has been (and continues to be) done related to jp1. Thanks for sharing it so freely.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Expressvu upgrade Reply with quote

TomintheVan wrote:

IR reports the protocol of the PVR remote as JVC-A at 57.1 KHz. That isn't one listed in protocols. The EFCs of the learned codes match the codes of the same keys in the PVR 721 upgrade, but the OBCs and hex codes don't. I thought I understood the EFC/OBC relationship but I guess I don't have it. So here's my questions:
1. What is JVC-A and how do I deal with this?

That is something from a much older version of my decoding software. Before I understood the Dishplayer(old) protocol, my decoder displayed it as a form of the very similar JVC protocol.

1) Make sure you have an up to date copy of IR.EXE
2) Make sure you have an up to date copy of DecodeIR.dll in a directory where IR.EXE can find it. If you don't know the right system directory for shared application DLLs, just put the DLL in the same directory as IR.EXE.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy, when you load one of these upgrades into KM, don't change any of the device code settings, just change the selected remote to your remote, and re-arrange the buttons as you see fit. Then load it and try it.
TomintheVan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Expressvu upgrade Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:

1) Make sure you have an up to date copy of IR.EXE
2) Make sure you have an up to date copy of DecodeIR.dll in a directory where IR.EXE can find it. If you don't know the right system directory for shared application DLLs, just put the DLL in the same directory as IR.EXE.

John

The version of IR is 4.01 and IR and the dll are in the same folder. I downloaded both files from yahoo yesterday and they are dated 12/8/03.

Update

I found a more recent (and larger) version of DecodeIR.dll dated 1/7/04. It gives the same (JVC-A) interpretation of the learned codes.

Tom

Last edited by TomintheVan on Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
TomintheVan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Tommy, when you load one of these upgrades into KM, don't change any of the device code settings, just change the selected remote to your remote, and re-arrange the buttons as you see fit. Then load it and try it.

Well, I did what you suggested and it works. I had tried it earlier and it didn'y but I just tried powering on the PVR and that didn't work so I thought it was the process and not just that button. I'll try more buttons in future. Also, what threw me off was this note in green text just above the upgrade code block in KM.

PVR 721 spreadsheet author wrote:
Enter the Unit Code, and 1 Device Code (MUST use OBC-style Button Codes with a Unit Code > 1. If EFC functions have been entered, use the Swap button on [Functions].)/

If that means something (and is not an anachronism) then perhaps you could let me know. I'll ignore it for now. Anyway thanks, one more device and I'll have stage 1 done - a remote that sort-of handles all my devices..... Very Happy

Tom
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Expressvu upgrade Reply with quote

TomintheVan wrote:

The version of IR is 4.01 and IR and the dll are in the same folder. I downloaded both files from yahoo yesterday and they are dated 12/8/03.

First I want to verify my theory that IR.EXE still can't find DecodeIR.dll:

Select "about" from the Help menu. It will display the version of IR.EXE and if it can find the DLL it will also display the version of DecodeIR.

If it can't find the DLL, you may need help from someone else. I can't guess why it wouldn't find the DLL in the same directory (unless there is something strange about the shortcut you used to start IR).

If it CAN find the DLL, then I'd like a copy of the saved eeprom image with those learned signals that are decoded wrong.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomintheVan wrote:
PVR 721 spreadsheet author wrote:
Enter the Unit Code, and 1 Device Code (MUST use OBC-style Button Codes with a Unit Code > 1. If EFC functions have been entered, use the Swap button on [Functions].)/

If that means something (and is not an anachronism) then perhaps you could let me know. I'll ignore it for now. Anyway thanks, one more device and I'll have stage 1 done - a remote that sort-of handles all my devices..... Very Happy

Tom

Those messages in KM are designed to help the person putting together the upgrade in the first place. When all you are doing is loading up an upgrade that someone else made, you don't need to worry about that stuff.
TomintheVan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Expressvu upgrade Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:

First I want to verify my theory that IR.EXE still can't find DecodeIR.dll:

Select "about" from the Help menu. It will display the version of IR.EXE and if it can find the DLL it will also display the version of DecodeIR.

If it can't find the DLL, you may need help from someone else. I can't guess why it wouldn't find the DLL in the same directory (unless there is something strange about the shortcut you used to start IR).

If it CAN find the DLL, then I'd like a copy of the saved eeprom image with those learned signals that are decoded wrong.

Good theory you had John. The Info pane refered to the learned signal decoder version 2.11, but then in brackets after it said (Disabled). So I enabled it from the Advanced menu and now the decode makes sense. I don't recall disabling DecodeIR. It's possible I may have done so weeks ago when I was debugging the interface cable and didn't know what I was doing. (as opposed to now, where I have a vague idea what I'm doing)

Thanks

Tom
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Expressvu upgrade Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:

As of v4.01, that info is also displayed on the Learned Signals tab beneath the upper-right pane. It also indicates if the decoder is enabled or not.
macboy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomintheVan,
Check out this thread , where I asked about getting a longer IR output for a short keypress with the expressVU. The problem is that if you just tap the key, the expressVU doesn't respond. Apparently newer remotes fix this, but older ones like my RS 15-1994 have the problem. In that thread, you will find a protocol upgrade to replace the built in protocol 0002. When used along with a device upgrade, it will make the express VU receiver a lot more responsive to the remote.

Also note that dishnetwork or echostar PVR's may have similar remotes, so see if there are any device upgrade files posted for those.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: