JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

ir.exe- Advanced functions?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
just4fn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: ir.exe- Advanced functions? Reply with quote

When and what are the advanced functions used in IR.exe ?

1. Initialized to $00
2. Initialized to %FF
3. Enable raw download
4. Enable unsafe upload.
5. Clear upper memory
6. Forced leared timings
7. Disable device offset
8. Disable decode IR

Thanks for the info!
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: ir.exe- Advanced functions? Reply with quote

just4fn wrote:
1. Initialized to $00
2. Initialized to %FF
Initializes the EEPROM memory to all $00 or $FF as selected. The older remotes use $00 while the newer models use $FF.

Quote:
3. Enable raw download
Downloads the EEPROM without using any RDF settings.

Quote:
4. Enable unsafe upload.
Not sure on this one.

Quote:
5. Clear upper memory
Clears the upgrade, keymove/macro, and learned memory areas.

Quote:
6. Forced leared timings
Not sure.

Quote:
7. Disable device offset
Some JP1 OEM remotes (RCU810, Dreambox, etc) use device code offsets (setup codes are "offset" by some number; in the RCU810 it's 18) and this setting prevents that.

Quote:
8. Disable decode IR
Disables the IRDecode.dll and uses IR's built-in learned signal decoding.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These functions were mostly added for me and are of little interest or use for most JP1 users. But none the less, here's a summary of what they do...

2. Initialize to $FF
When you're trying to create an RDF for a new remote, it's useful to see the memory without any "junk" in there, so we use this function to initialize the memory in the remote to all $FF bytes, then we do a 981 reset on it and download the memory. We refer to this download as a "virgin" image.

1. Initialize to $00
Same as above, except we use this version for remotes that use $FF as their "end of section" marker. Most remotes use $00 as the end-marker..

3. Enable raw download
This toggle switch enables a new button in the IR GUI which lets you download from the remote bypassing the RDF. We would typically use this when we're debugging an RDF as it eliminates the possibility that the RDF changed the data.

4. Enable unsafe upload
This toggle switch enables a new button in the IR GUI which lets you load a file into the remote bypassing all the normal data validation checks. I use this option a lot when I load data into remotes where I soldered in the EEPROM chip. As the chip will not have any data on it, I would normally get the "signature different..." message.

5. Clear upper memory
This option removes data in the upgrade section of the memory that's not being used.

6. Forced learned timings
Normally you don't see the learned timings in IR when you look at learned signals, you just see the protocol, EFC, OBC, etc info. We disabled the learned timings because they were scary for newbies. This option lets you turn them back on again.

7. Disable device offset
Some remotes that are not obviously UEI remotes, use a "device offset" to disguise the fact that they are in fact UEI remotes. The theory being that people get used to UEI setup codes (eg, TV/0156 = Toshiba TV, VCR/1162 = Panasonic VCR, etc) so if the user manuals for these "secret" remotes were to include such codes, people would instantly know that they are UEI remotes. Therefore, UEI added an offset to these remotes. For example, all the setup codes in the RCA RCU810 are offset by 17, so those two codes that I mentioned earlier would show up as TV/0173 = Toshiba TV, VCR/1179 = Panasonic VCR.

IR is aware of any device offsets present in remotes, so when you download from the remote you will see the setup codes in their offset format. This option lets you view them as they really are without the offset.

8. Disable DecodeIR
When IR.exe was originally written, it included it's own decode routine for learned signals, but eventually John Fine wrote DecodeIR, so we changed IR to use this instead. This option lets you make IR.exe use it's own decode routine. You would only do this if you suspected that DecodeIR was causing problems.

[edit] Mark posted his reply while I was typing mine.

Last edited by The Robman on Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Mark posted his reply while I was typing mine.
As usual, your reply is much better than mine. Embarassed
just4fn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that is helpful even though I will not use them. Would I ever need to clear the upper memory? If so what and when is the need?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just4fn wrote:
Would I ever need to clear the upper memory? If so what and when is the need?

We very rarely use this function ourselves. If you load a bunch of upgrades into a remote, then reset the memory, all that happens is that the pointers at the beginning of the upgrade section get reset, all of the data that previously made up the upgrades now exists merely as "junk". Then let's say that you add some new upgrades, the new upgrades will overlay some of the old upgrades, resulting in a "mess" of data.

For the normal user, this doesn't matter because IR.exe sorts it all out and only displays the active upgrades, but if you are debugging something and you want to get rid of all the junk, you might want to use this function.

Like I said from the outset, there aren't any cool secret functions buried in this list, there are only useful to people deciphering new remotes, etc. The only function that we're likely to ask people to use occasionally is the "Initialize to $FF" function in order to get a "virgin" dump from their remote.
just4fn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your time and effort!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: