JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

2116 w/ Extender 2 won't work ToadTog on Combo protocol

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobF

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:31 pm    Post subject: 2116 w/ Extender 2 won't work ToadTog on Combo protocol Reply with quote

OK here is my problem: I have a 2116 with the Extender 2 installed and working. 2 of my devices are Denons ( a DVD player and Receiver). The DVD player is brand new (the DVD-2200) and I had to build a device code for it and I used the Denon Combo protocol. The receiver also uses this protocol. Both units have discrete on/off codes that are two bits long ( due to the 2nd byte that has to be defined by the Denon Combo protocol).

I read the info on the ToadTog protocol that came with the 2116 extender2. I want to be able to toggle the on and the off and use toggle "0". I used keymove and assigned the hex values like this:
$02 $D7 $E3 $E8 $03
The 02 is for toggle "0" and two bits long since "$D7 $E3" is the hex for discrete on, and "$E8 $03" is hex for discrete off. (don't get too concerned with the above hex numbers of the discrete commands since I am at work and forgot the actual ones).

By reading the ToadTog info it seems that this should work although the example is a single bit long and not a combo discrete command like mine.
When I try this command it will toggle on and off my DVD player, but it does some funky stuff too. I can hit the button that this is assigned to and it might turn on the DVD player. Then if I hit it again to turn it off it might open the disc door or fast forward the unit. It takes at least three or four presses to get the player to shut off.

I am wondering if it has something to do with the discrete code being two bits long. It is like the remote is sending out the first bit and activates something before the second bit is out?

I don't know what the heck. My ultimate goal is to be able to send out a discrete on command, have the remote track it and be able to know to send a discrete off command if the unit is on. The two bit Denon code is confusing me though! Evil or Very Mad
usblipitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the "arguments" of toadtogs are not the hex values of the functions. they are the hex values of the keys.

there are two good places to look for the hex codes you need. either download extender code calc spreadsheet from the files at yahoo (this is really a great item, you should use it, it is awesome), or just look up the hex values of the keys in the devicekeys.html that comes bundled with your extender.
JP1Files
usblipitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 2116 w/ Extender 2 won't work ToadTog on Combo protocol Reply with quote

BobF wrote:
it might turn on the DVD player. Then if I hit it again to turn it off it might open the disc door or fast forward the unit.
probably the hex codes you have used in your toadtogs correspond to the eject key and the fast forward key.
JP1Files
usblipitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to extenderCodeCalc.zip

Here is an excerpt from the KeyCodes.htm file that comes bundled with your extender:
Code:

Key Hex Shifted Xshifted
TV     01 81 C1
Power  03 83 C3
Vol+   04 84 C4
Vol-   05 85 C5
Ch+    06 86 C6
Ch-    07 87 C7
Mute   08 88 C8
VCR    09 89 C9
CD     0A 8A CA
Rew    0B 8B CB
Play   0C 8C CC
Ffwd   0D 8D CD
Stop   0E 8E CE
Exit   37 B7 F7 

JP1Files
BobF

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what you are saying is that I need to use the hex value for the BUTTON that the discrete on or off is assigned to and NOT the actual discrete on/off hex value?
If that is true then in IR the keymove would be bound to the button I want to use on the remote to activate the toggle and the device would be Misc/1800 (the protocol in 2116 extender2 for toadtog) and then the argument would be $01 $xx $zz -where $01 is toggle "0" and 1 is to send 1 bit, and $xx would be the hex for the button the "discrete on" is assigned to, and the $zz would be the hex that the "discrete off' is assigned to.
usblipitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobF wrote:
So what you are saying is that I need to use the hex value for the BUTTON that the discrete on or off is assigned to and NOT the actual discrete on/off function hex value?
Correct. Take a look at the extender code calc. Also, here is an excerpt from the toadtog.txt file that came with your extender:
ToadTog.txt file that came bundled with your extender wrote:
To construct the keycode sequences, you must translate each key into its two digit hex equivalent. See the attached KeyCodes.htm file for help. You can include any key codes in the sequences, including macros and/or nested uses of ToadTog..
One more useful tidbit. Since toadtogs press buttons, rather than execute functions directly, you need to be mindful of which device is associated with which button. If you have set your "other keygroup" to your vcr device, and a toadtog presses the power button, your vcr will turn on. If you now set your "other keygroup" to your dvd device, and later press the same toadtog trying to turn off your vcr, you will be surprised to find that instead it sends a signal to turn off the dvd. To get around this problem, it is sometimes wise to use a macro that sets the right keygroups to the right device, and then calls the toadtog. I keep harping on this same design in many of my responses (I'm surprised no one has ribbed me about it yet Rolling Eyes ), but you might want to take a peek at this design by smithjo601/greg.
JP1Files
BobF

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Thanks USBlipitor I will check out the setup you suggested and tomorrow I will try to make my stuff work. If I have problems I will post again-
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: