JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Using/Programming Macros

View previous topic :: View next topic  
varaonaid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 9:42 am    Post subject: Using/Programming Macros Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm trying to program a simple macro on my 15-2117. I need for the power button to actually work when in the MySystem mode (at the moment, it does nothing!). I've tried keymover but it won't let me do that. So I tried to create a macro onto the Power button (which it seems to say on p17 of the manual that you can do when it says that any macro on the Power key will carry over to the MySystem mode.) Any ideas on how to accomplish this?

Lastly, on other macro buttons (programmed through the remote not JP1) are they mode specific (ie vcr only work when in that mode) or do they carry over to other modes? If I get a JP1 cable can I program the macros to be mode specific? Thanks in advance!
usblipitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Using/Programming Macros Reply with quote

varaonaid wrote:
are macros mode specific (ie vcr only work when in that mode) or do they carry over to other modes?
macros are always global, unless you use JP1.
varaonaid wrote:
If I get a JP1 cable can I program the macros to be mode specific?
Yes. There are several ways, including the DSM (device specific macro) protocol, or for short macros, just create a keymove in IR with all the keys you want included in the keymove.

Keymoves are generally local, macros are generally global.
JP1Files
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, the power button is dead in MySystem mode.

With some JP1 software called an "extender" you can change/generalize the whole concept of MySystem mode, including eliminating the flaw that makes the power key not work.

Macros act the same whether programmed through JP1 or directly on the remote (though some macros can be programmed via JP1 and can't be programmed directly). Macros are global. They execute in all device modes (expect where overriden by a KeyMove).

JP1 supports a feature called DSM (device specific macros) which behave the way a macro limited to a single mode would behave if the remote supported macros limited to a single mode. In fact DSMs are really KeyMoves using a special protocol, but so far as the user of the remote sees they are macros limited to a single mode.
usblipitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Using/Programming Macros Reply with quote

varaonaid wrote:
I tried to create a macro onto the Power button and failed miserably

You have two choices:

1. You can do this the easy way in IR.exe.

2. To do it the hard way:
Press and hold P-key
Wait for "CODE SET" to appear
Press down arrow six times until "KEY MACRO" appears
Press select key once so it says "SEL MACKEY"
Press the Power Key
Enter a macro sequence of up to 15 keys
press and hold SELECT until "SUCCESS" appears.

johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Using/Programming Macros Reply with quote

usblipitor wrote:
DSM (device specific macro) protocol, or for short macros, just create a keymove in IR with all the keys you want included in the keymove.

I think you are slightly confused over what is actually the two different ways of doing a DSM.

Without a DSM protocol you can't just create a keymove containing other key codes.

Without an extender the DSM protocol takes the keycode of a global macro attached to a phantom key (a key that doesn't physically exist). The DSM is a keymove so it is local to a specific device mode. The actual macro is global, but since it is on a key that can't physically be pressed it isn't global in any sense visible to the final user.

With an extender the DSM protcol can take the body of the macro inside the local keymove, so you don't need the global macro at all. But the UI in the IR.EXE program for defining a global macro is easier than the UI for puting a macro body into a keymove, so you have the option on each DSM with the extender whether or not to use a global macro behind the DSM.
usblipitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:
Hi John!
The base note writer is correct in that on page 17 of the 15-2117 manual, it says:
"A Macro on the POWER key (if applicable) will carry over to the My System mode."

Varaonaid:
John Fine brings up the concept of extenders - if you really want to do it right, get a JP1 cable, download the 15-2117 extender and all the affiliated software, and read the readme.txt file. Extenders are "way cool." Try it, you'll like it. Very Happy

Last edited by usblipitor on Fri Dec 26, 2003 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
varaonaid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the greart information!

I tried the "hard way" of programming the remote. Went through you instructions exactly and when I press the "power" key as my key selection to create a macro on, I get the message "invalid" and nothing happens. I've tried this several times with the same result. Any other ideas? At some point I will get a JP1 cable but I'm just trying to get the remote functional in the meantime. Thanks again!
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

usblipitor wrote:
johnsfine wrote:
Hi John!
The base note writer is correct in that on page 17 of the 15-2117 manual, it says:
"A Macro on the POWER key (if applicable) will carry over to the My System mode."

What this means is that in order to have a macro on the power button in My System mode, you must define a macro on the power button outside of My System mode. In other words, select any device (TV, VCR, etc.), then define the macro on the power key. If having a global macro on the power key isn't what you want, then you're out of luck until you get your JP1 cable and can load an extender.
varaonaid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could get it to create a global power key! However, following the directions from the helpful folks in this forum and in the manual, I can't get the remote to create a macro on the power key at all! WHen I attempt to program any macro, the remote won't seem to differentiate between modes at all, meaning I guess that all macros (at least those created without JP1) are in fact global.

Any ideas why I get the "invalid" error when I attempt to program a macro on the power button or what I can do about it?

Thanks!
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

varaonaid wrote:
I guess that all macros (at least those created without JP1) are in fact global.

Yes, that's the case.

varaonaid wrote:
Any ideas why I get the "invalid" error when I attempt to program a macro on the power button or what I can do about it?
I thought you were trying to program the macro while in My System mode. I know that will fail. If you are trying it in a "normal" device mode (VCR, TV), than I don't know what's wrong and can't help you (I don't have the remote in question). Sorry.
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

varaonaid wrote:
At some point I will get a JP1 cable..

At $14 (including shipping!) from http://www.hovisdirect.com, what are you waiting for? Order it now, before the price goes up!

Extenders have a lot of advantages besides being able to put macros on the power button.

Let me give you an example. I have an extender. When I do a short-press of the power button, it turns off whatever device the mode is in. When I do a long-press of the power button, it turns off every device that is on. When I do a short press of the DVD button, it turns on only the devices needed to watch a DVD: the TV, the DVD, and sets the input on the receiver to correctly send the DVD signal to the TV. All the device buttons work this way. And some of my devices do not have discrete power commands, but extenders get around this problem with a special protocol.. your remote could do all this and more.. just get or build a JP1 cable.. my setup was not hard to set up as it was already designed and explained here. It was like following a recipe in a cookbook, it was a piece of cake. Mr. Green

Happy New Year,
JP1Files
e34m5

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used jp1 a lot and I have the same issue. After creating a macro on the "Power" key I find that it will not work when "mySystem" is pressed.

Don't know why this is. No big deal. I simply created two other macros with the shifted key for powering the system when using the Cable box and one for the DVD.

I did this for my parents' new systen and they in fact like the two macros better because it is more intuitive for them to press "P" and "CBL" or "DVD"
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: