JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

radio shack 15-2130 Xmas present?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spockscreed

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 11:56 pm    Post subject: radio shack 15-2130 Xmas present? Reply with quote

Did I waste my money? ON the advise of a Detroit Free Press columnist I bought this model since it does "macros". This she says is what one needs to get started with "you's guys" JJP1 - THANK GOD SOMEONE HAS FIGURED SOMETHING OUT!
Now.
I have the Hitachi TV,Motorola HD cable box,Panasonic DVD all one the 15-2130; and the Yamaha 700 series surround sound reciever all turning on and off and doing the basic functions. All I am missing is being able to change the audio input source (Yamaha RCVR) and the video source. The 15-2130 has a USB i/f cable supplied. MY PC doesn't see the remote! Can't seem to find a driver anywhere! What next?

At least now there is HOPE of getting my wife and kids off my back!!

Dad, how do you get the TV on?

Daaad, how do you get the sound on for the DVD?

Daaaaad, how do you get the picture back to Rugrats?

Honey, why did you buy this damn surround sound?

Thanks guys....
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find the 15-2130 at RadioShack's website... the only model that I recall that comes with a USB cable is NOT a JP1 remote, and can't be programmed using the JP1 tools.

Dear, where's the receipt for the @#$!%^& thing???
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To do JP1 you need a JP1 compliant remote. Here is a list of JP1 compliant remotes that are easily available:

Radio Shack:
15-2117 for $30. Has an LCD screen if you like these.

Wal-Mart:
OFA 8810w for $19 (this is the best value. I define value as features divided by cost. this remote controls up to 8 devices, it is fully JP1 compliant, it does macros, keymoves, and learning right out of the box with no modifications, and there are several excellent JP1-extenders written for it.) Of all the remotes, this one might be the hardest to obtain, as Wal-Mart goes out of stock on these very fast. Just keep checking their stock and eventually you will find one. Note that the 8810w and the 8811 are the exact same remote. (I had trouble believing this as well, but they are exactly the same, inside and out. except the 8810w is sold at wal-mart for $19 and the 8811 is sold everywhere else for $29-$39.)

Rob Crowe (aka "the Robman"):
OFA-6131m for $25 (note this is a 6131 that has been upgraded with an eeprom and JP1 pins) This remote has about 17 keys more than other remotes of its size, and some of these extra keys have labels like angle, audio, subtitle (good for dvd players). If you ever get a tivo, it has keys you can use for that as well. I initially stayed away from this remote as it was small, it didn't have an LCD screen, and it didn't have the learning feature. Now that I have some JP1 experience, it is probably my favorite: small=lightweight and my fingers can reach all the buttons without shifting remote in my hand, LCD screen=worthless to a JP1er, learning=don't need it on main remote (I have an 8810w in a drawer for when I buy new equipment and need to learn the codes that first day so I can create a "device upgrade" file, and then it goes back in the drawer)

Most of the Banners flashing on this site:
OFA8910, 9910, and/or UEI HTPro: around $40-$45. Heavier than the 8810w or the 6131m. These have an LCD screen like the 15-2117.

Also, you will need a JP1 cable. These are available from hovis ($14), filebug ($20), or, if you order the 6131m from the Robman, he will include one for $15, but only if you buy a remote at the same time.
JP1Files
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: radio shack 15-2130 Xmas present? Reply with quote

spockscreed wrote:
Did I waste my money? ON the advise of a Detroit Free Press columnist I bought this model since it does "macros". This she says is what one needs to get started with "you's guys" JP1 - THANK GOD SOMEONE HAS FIGURED SOMETHING OUT!

You must be talking about Heather Newman, I have links to a couple of her articles on my site. Has she written another article on remotes?

Anyway, if you were hoping for a JP1 remote, then yes, I'm sorry to say that you did waste your money as this remote is not made by UEI so therefore has no JP1 possibilities at all.
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I re-read Healther's articles and in neither article did she mention 15-2130. Who told you to buy that particular remote?

Secondly, and this may just be my total ignorance, Does such a remote even exist? I went to the radio shack web site and typed in 15-2130 and nothing at all came up. There is a 15-2103, a 15-2129, and a 15-2140. None of these are JP1 compliant "out of the box" to my knowledge. The 15-2103 could become JP1 compliant if you are skilled at doing the 6 wire JP1 6-pin header upgrade. "this can be done by a skilled person."

I vote you go back to radio shack and return the remote (and the overpriced batteries they made you buy Smile ).

The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 15-2130 used to be on their site, but they appear to have re-loaded an old image (you may recall a month or so back that all the remotes disappeared from the site).

Here's a link to a Remote Central thread where the remote was first mentioned:
http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-one4all/thread.cgi?3232
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: