JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Please Explain "Shift" & "Phantom" O

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil P

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:47 pm    Post subject: Please Explain "Shift" & "Phantom" O Reply with quote

I am new to JP1 been reading and soaking it all in, I have a 8810w URC remote.

Am I correct to say with the shifted keys its the "P" button or "Setup" button pressed then the key?

I have read somewhat about the phantom button, can someone please give me some more details or an example for better understading of its use.

Also, with the "Home Theater" button, I would like to use this to turn on all equiptment and set inputs etc, is this possible, or a macro has to be setup on another key? Can I use the home theater key then to turn off everything?

Thanksyou,
Neil
wwwoholic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Please Explain "Shift" & "Phantom&quo Reply with quote

Neil P wrote:
Am I correct to say with the shifted keys its the "P" button or "Setup" button pressed then the key?

Yep

Quote:
I have read somewhat about the phantom button, can someone please give me some more details or an example for better understading of its use.

"phantom button" is a wrong term. There are "phantom keys" and they are called "phantom" precisely because your remote does not have the real buttons to push and send these keys. The simplest example would be long macro. If you exceeded the maximum macro length you can split it into two parts, place the second on the phantom key and "call" that key at the end of the first part.

Quote:
Also, with the "Home Theater" button, I would like to use this to turn on all equiptment and set inputs etc, is this possible, or a macro has to be setup on another key? Can I use the home theater key then to turn off everything?

I believe you'd need an extender for that.
jskinner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Please Explain "Shift" & "Phantom&quo Reply with quote

What I did is program M1 to turn everything on. Then the other macro keys to turn to specific modes like DVD or HDTV or VCR. These macro set the inputs for the selected device. This seems to work for me. And it is simple enough the kids don't get confused with it.

Good luck!

Jeff
usblipitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Please Explain "Shift" & "Phantom& Reply with quote

jskinner wrote:
What I did is program M1 to turn everything on. Then the other macro keys to turn to specific modes like DVD or HDTV or VCR. These macro set the inputs for the selected device. This seems to work for me. And it is simple enough the kids don't get confused with it.
Jeff,
I had a similar setup to yours - using the macro keys to set correct inputs and such. It was adequate. Not elegant. But adequate. Then I bit the bullet and installed the extender and set up the remote using this design. Unless being tortured by terrorists, I will never use an unextended remote again. (well maybe I will use it to learn signals, but I won't like it Smile ) I read your note about the Apex (I have an Apex also, love it) that you have a JP1 cable. As long as you have the tools, be brave and install the extender. The worst that can happen if it does not work out is you can go back to your IR image of the unextended remote. But I think you will like using macros on device keys, having long and short keypresses do different things, having toadtog-powered discrete on/off's for the Apex, and much more! Read the design for grins.
Happy Holidays,
-Steve
JP1Files
jskinner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 9:47 am    Post subject: Please Explain "Shift" & "Phantom" O Reply with quote

Neil,

Your instruction is a great idea. I am still pretty new at this and am trying to figure out the extender stuff and the discrete on/off. I will take that design you offered and see what I can come up with over the holidays.

Thanks for the info!

Happy Holidays

Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: