JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Keymap-master issues
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: KM Key moves Reply with quote

fpreston wrote:
I don't understand how to use key moves to combine multiple devices

A KeyMove defines a "bound key" within a "bound device" using a setup code and hex command.

That setup code does not need to be programmed on any device key. It just needs to be in the remote (built-in or as an upgrade).

Where you said "multiple devices", we should instead say "multiple setup codes" (bound to one device key).

So you pick one setup code to assign directly to the device key. The keys without keymoves use that setup code. Then you define keymoves for the other keys, specifying whatever setup code you like for each keymove.

fpreston wrote:

How are more complex merges of two devices handled (where much more than 4 buttons are involved)?

If the method I described above uses too much keymove memory, you MIGHT use less keymove memory by creating a device combiner upgrade.
fpreston

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: KM Key moves Reply with quote

"a device combiner upgrade" ? This sounds like what I was trying to request. How is this done or where can I read about it?

I still don't think I quite understand how to implement a key move, but I will research it a little more based on your explanation. (If it is as simple as specifying a "from setup code" and a "to setup code" for each button move, I should be able to figure it out).

Fred

PS: I have noticed that the KM layout for the URC-8820 shows 10 different device assignments even though it is an 8 device remote. Are the other two device assignments accessible? If so, how?
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: KM Key moves Reply with quote

fpreston wrote:
I still don't think I quite understand how to implement a key move,

I should have been clearer that I was talking about defining a KeyMove in the IR.exe program.

There is a KeyMoves tab in IR.exe and it should be pretty obvious how to use it.

I think IR.exe is the correct place to define the type of KeyMove you seem to be requesting.

KM and RM also support "external functions". If you define an external function and assign it to a button, then when the data is transfered to IR.exe that will cause IR.exe to define a KeyMove. In effect "external functions" let you define KeyMoves in KM or RM. For some purposes that makes more sense than defining them directly in IR.exe.

fpreston wrote:

PS: I have noticed that the KM layout for the URC-8820 shows 10 different device assignments even though it is an 8 device remote. Are the other two device assignments accessible? If so, how?

In the list of buttons that can be inserted into a macro, you should find the eight device keys that physically exist plus two more device keys that don't physically exist.

Any of the ten device keys can be used in a macro and will select that device when the macro is executed.

I think the 8820 allows macros on shifted device keys. On similar remotes, the common method of using missing device keys is to put the missing device key into a macro on a shifted device key. Then you select the missing device by a short press of set followed by the device key holding that macro.
fpreston

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Macros Reply with quote

I tried to set up the two additional hidden devices on my URC-8820 (identified as dev1 and dev9) using macros. However, the macro function did not list dev1 or dev9 anywhere. Where can I find these devices listed?

Fred
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a URL for the RDF file you are using?

It obviously is not the same as the RDF file I'm using.

Your RDF file might need a small correction. Or maybe I just need to look at it in order to give you better instructions on using it.
fpreston

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Macro issue Reply with quote

If I possibly don't have the latest URC8820 files, where can I download them (or how can I identify the latest)? (Making sure I am starting with the same software seems like a better approach than trying to fix what I have already).

Fred

PS: I have yet another issue of confusion. I am confused by the volume punch through settings in IR. The On or Off setting of each device doesn't seem to correspond to whatever volume lock is set on the remote. Perhaps this also indicates I don't have the latest URC8820 files.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know where the official rdf is. I just know where my copy is (one I edited myself). There are a number of unresolved (so far as I know) differences of opinion between experts on how the RDFs should best deal with the differences across models within the x820 family.

My copy
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=3801
skips dealing with those cross model issues. It supports the 10820 and so it expects the user to just know which buttons are missing or different on the 8820.

You can easily use that rdf with an 8820 (I do). That will make use of the two extra devices even easier.
fpreston

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: URC8820 RDF Reply with quote

For this RDF, there are Cable, Aux1, and Aux2 versus the 8820 having Aux, dev1, and dev9. Which of the 3 new device buttons is the true 8820 Aux button (leaving the other two as the hidden ones)?

Fred
fpreston

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: URC8820 RDF Reply with quote

I compared the two RDF files and determined that Aux1 is the same as the original Aux. I did see a couple of discrepancies in the button assignments. Perhaps this is why I have experienced a few problems. (I didn't see any differences in the VPT assignments, however). I'll try your RDF tonight.

Thanks.

Fred
binky123
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Macro issue Reply with quote

fpreston wrote:

PS: I have yet another issue of confusion. I am confused by the volume punch through settings in IR. The On or Off setting of each device doesn't seem to correspond to whatever volume lock is set on the remote. Perhaps this also indicates I don't have the latest URC8820 files.

What do you mean by this? Did you use SET-9-9-3 on the remote and IR7 reports something different? VPT works only if the device type is the same as the default device type for that button.
fpreston

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: VPT issue Reply with quote

Yes; setting the volume lock on the remote and then uploading to IR shows seemingly random VPT flags. My son and I tried it with various combinations including clearing the volume lock, and none of them seemed to match the IR display.

Keep in mind that I haven't tried your URC8820.rdf yet.

Fred

PS: I am not certain if I am using IR version 7, but will check. Is the latest beta (is it beta 3) working well? Sorry that my original KM questions have progressed into IR questions; perhaps out of place for the forum layout.
fpreston

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: URC8820 macros - fixed Reply with quote

I was running IR7 beta2. I upgraded to IR7 beta3. To be safe, I downloaded the latest RDF file set and added your 8820/10820 RDF. I uploaded the current URC8820 memory from my remote. I then reloaded each device upgrade from KM9.06 (set for URC8820 as before; not to URC10820).

Everything looked fine except for the 4 key moves I created to combine my Lasko 3440 fan onto my X1 video projector device. (The EFC codes had to be reset).

Now everything seems to work like you described, including the VPT flags and the access to the two extra hidden devices through macros.

Thanks for all of your help.

Fred

PS: One thing I am still haven't figured out is how to add remote RDF files to KM for adding or upgrading the list of supported remotes. Fortunately, this was already done for me in KM9.06, but I would like to learn.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KM doesn't utilise the rdf's, unlike RM. Therefore KM has to be updated every time a new remote definition is created (I don't know enough about Excel to have any idea precisely WHAT gets updated, but suffice it to say, it is not automatically extracted from the rdf), while RM does not, as it simply pulls the info it needs from the rdf directly.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
fpreston

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: KM versus RDF Reply with quote

Ok. Now I don't feel quite so stupid. One post indicated the URC8820 RDF was added to KM, but that must require more knowledge and access to KM internals than are obvious to most of us.

Fred
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: