JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Newbie -- Key moves don't work

View previous topic :: View next topic  
abroadst

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Newbie -- Key moves don't work Reply with quote

I can't get key moves to work with my modified 6131 remote. I successfully downloaded an rmdu file, and using RM I changed some of the mappings for my remote, and I successfully uploaded the changes to my remote using IR. So that's progress.

Also, I believe I installed the extender (prior to any programming). My remote identifies as a PVR0PVx1.

Anyway, I was trying to get the device update to work for my Motorola DCT-6412 cable box, and mostly it works. But some of the keys, notably the Swap key, had to be programmed using a key move, according to RM and IR. I don't exactly understand what that means, first of all, and second, the button doesn't work.

I also remember reading in the extender doc that key moves are different with the extender installed, but I'm not sure how that affects how I program the remote using RM and IR.

Can someone give me some advice about why Swap doesn't work or how to use key moves more generally with this remote? Also, what does shifting mean and how can I use shifted functions on the remote?

Thanks!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First things first, it is important to know whether you are using the extender or not because the keymoves are indeed a different format based on that answer.

If you're simply using the extender RDF but not really using the extender, then RM will format the keymoves incorrectly.

When you use an extender, the first thing you need to do once you've loaded data using IR.exe is activate it (by pressing whatever key the extender documentation says is the activation key. If you're not even sure if you're running the extender or not, I'm guessing that you're not activating it.
abroadst

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Extender Reply with quote

Yes I believe I have installed and activated the extender. I followed the instructions and the remote blinked appropriately after installation indicating activation.

If the remote identifies as PVR0PVx1 doesn't that mean the extender is installed? Also, IR reports after a download that it is a "URC-6131 PVR Remote Extender."

I used the 981 reset to start over. IR correctly identified the remote as a 6131 without the extender. Then I applied the extender again and IR confirmed it. I still get the same behavior though. The swap key on the remote is supposedly mapped to a "key move" for the swap function (as identified by both RM and IR). But when I press the swap button the LED does not light and nothing happens. Other functions that did not require key moves work. I even mapped the swap function to a button that did not require a key move (the TV/VID button) and it works fine.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then all I can suggest is that you load your IR file to the Diagnosis Area and then post a link to it here.
abroadst

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. So there's nothing I'm obviously doing wrong then I guess. I have posted my ir file in the diagnosis area. It's called 6131_abroadst_10-01-05.ir.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Then all I can suggest is that you load your IR file to the Diagnosis Area and then post a link to it here.

The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
abroadst

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Just to be clear Reply with quote

I just want to make sure of something. If I have a "key move" set for a particular key, does that mean I should just be able to press that button on the remote and have it activate that function, or do I have to do something else first? Do buttons with "key moves" assigned to them work differently from the user perspective or is it just a matter of how it is programmed in the remote?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gfb107 wrote:
The Robman wrote:

gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to make sure you understand. Once the extender is installed, it has to be activated again every time you upload to it, or after you take out the batteries.

Keymoves created for the extender will not produce the desired results if used when the extender has not been activated.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
abroadst

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an actual link to my file. I hope this helps.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=2233
abroadst

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Extender activation Reply with quote

Firstly, it seems almost certain to me that the reason for this problem is that I'm using the tools wrong somehow.

Do I have to modify the extender .ir file to somehow append my new setup? Or do I have to re-activate the extender after any upload to the remote?
abroadst

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Now it works! Reply with quote

Ok. I got it to work.

I got the idea that installing the extender was a one time thing. Once installed you didn't have to keep using that code. And that was wrong.

I now understand that I have to use the extender file (in my case 6131_extender1_.txt) as a starting point for other modifications to the remote. I started with this file, clicked "Add" under devices and pasted the code from RM. Then I was in business.

Now all I need to do is figure out how to do macros and how to get codes from multiple devices to be assignable to a single mode (like cable or tv), but those are for another thread I guess after I mess with this some more.

Sorry for the user error.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Extender activation Reply with quote

abroadst wrote:
do I have to re-activate the extender after any upload to the remote?
Yes. After ANY reset of the processor (upload, download, battery change), the extender must be activated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: