JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

6131 EEPROM working but remote not using it

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xaust

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: 6131 EEPROM working but remote not using it Reply with quote

Newbie here.
I have installed the 579-24LC16B-I/SN from mouser.com EEPROM in my URC-6131 remote. It looks like a very clean install. The IR program seems to be able to read and write the EEPROM with no problems. I say this because I can upload and download data and see that the raw data tracks. The IR program blinks it's virtual LED twice after all transfers.

Here is the problem. When I key in the 981 reset on the remote I get the two short and one long LED blink - not the four blinks I was expecting. I have tried new batteries and weak batteries.

Also when I manually set devices in the remote and download the EEPROM I do not see these codes as set. Likewise when I use JP1 to program other valid device codes and then I use the 990 trick on the remote I do not see that these codes have been accepted.

Basically like the subject line says - the EEPROM-to-JP1 interface seems fine but the EEPROM-to-remote-micro seems to be not there!? Any suggestions?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 6131 EEPROM working but remote not using it Reply with quote

xaust wrote:
Here is the problem. When I key in the 981 reset on the remote I get the two short and one long LED blink - not the four blinks I was expecting.

That confirms that the remote cannot see the EEPROM, so check your soldering.
xaust

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick response! I put my multimeter on it. I think I have found the problem. Pin 8 (Vcc) on the EEPROM goes to one end of R12 and the other end of R12 heads off to the microcontroller. There is no continuity across R12. Putting a magnifying glass on it I can see that one end of R12 is broken off. I have no recollection of doing this but obviously I must have. I just need to grub through my parts bin now for a 100 ohm resistor!

I will post my results.
xaust

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All fixed. I soldered in a replacement 100 ohm resistor and now everything works as advertised. I even successfully programmed in a few experimental keys and they worked. I really like my 6131. I am putting together a MythTV Xbox frontend and this remote is ideal. My little 6131 is now the poster child for "takes a licking and keeps on ticking". Thanks again for all you do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: