JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

8910 normal and LKP Power question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyross

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: 8910 normal and LKP Power question Reply with quote

I'm using an 8910 with the 1.1 extender. I'm not certain how to set this up:
Press power normally, and it sends POWER for whatever device is currently selected.
Do an LKP Power and it sends OFF commands for my devices that support it (I have LKP's for ON and input selection on the device keys.)

What is confusing is that LKP is device specific, so would I have to create separate entries for all devices? Is there way to do the above with just a macro or two?
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, although not TOTALLY simple, yes, a single LKP can do this. Presuming the power key is assigned to the active device you want it to control on the SKP, AND EACH DEVICE's "Discrete Off" COMMAND IS ASSIGNED TO THE SAME KEY (for this example let's say the "Discrete Off" phantom- but you can use "x-shift info" or anything else. EACH Device's Discrete Off command must be assigned to the same key, however - that's the crucial element) set up a LKP on the "Power" key as follows:

Short: "Discrete Off" (or "x-shift info" or whatever you chose as your "discrete off" key) Note that you included NO DEVICE SELECTION here, so this will only affect the currently selected device!

Long: "DEV_AUD" "Discrete Off" "DEV_TV" "Discrete Off" "DEV_DVD" "Discrete Off" etc. until all of your devices with discrete Off capability are included.

Voila! A short press of "Power" sends "Discrete Off" to the currently active Device, while a long press of "Power" sends "Discrete Off" to all devices.
andyross

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem is, LKP and other special functions require both a device and a key. I'm not certain how to put a single macro on the power key that either directly or indirectly does the LKP macro without messing up the current device.

Otherwise, it looks like I would need to do individual LKP's for each device's Power key, with the long function calling a pre-defined macro for the system shutdown, and the short function calling a remapped Power command for that device.
mtakahar
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use the same idea as what's discussed in this thread. Your extender uses different style of device selection commands from the ones used there, it's fundamentally still the same.

Basically you only need one regular global macro on the power button and one LKP on an arbitrary button in an arbitrary device mode. The point is to use the temporary device selection on the calling side and canceling it on the LKP side.

Hal
mtakahar
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtakahar wrote:
You can use the same idea as what's discussed in this thread. Your extender uses different style of device selection commands from the ones used there, but it's fundamentally still the same.

Basically you only need one regular global macro on the power button and one LKP on an arbitrary button in an arbitrary device mode. The point is to use the temporary device selection on the calling side and canceling it on the LKP side.

Hal
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right - I overlooked the Device-specificity of an LKP. So here's what I would try - (starting with my original recommendation):

(1) Set up a Macro on "Power" as follows: "DEV_TV" "x-shift Discrete Off" (I have arbitrarily selected TV/"x-shift Discrete Off" for your Power Off LKP)

(2) set up a LKP on the TV/"x-shift Discrete Off" key as follows:

Short: "DEV_CANCEL" "Discrete Off". Hopefully the Dev Cancel will override the DEV_TV called in the Macro and the "Discrete Off" will work on the currently selected device, based on your last "SET_OTHER" command.

Long: "DEV_AUD" "Discrete Off" "DEV_TV" "Discrete Off" "DEV_DVD" "Discrete Off" etc. until all of your devices with discrete Off capability are included.

If the DEV_CANCEL lead-in for the SKP doesn't get you what you need, then your only solution is to build a single Macro on a phantom to power everyting off, then build an LKP for the Power button in each device mode, but it would be a shorter LKP, i.e.:

Macro on "x-shift Discrete Off": "DEV_AUD" "Discrete Off" "DEV_TV" "Discrete Off" etc.

LKP on Power (in EACH device, so 8 LKPs)
Short: "discrete Off"
Long: "x-shift Discrete Off"
andyross

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I ended up doing is created a normal macro for shutdown (I put it on XShift-Light). I also created duplicates of each devices's Power as each devices XShift-Power. I then had to create individual LKP macros for each device, with the XSHift-Power as short, and the shutdown macro as long. Looking through the notes, I wonder if 'shift cloaking' might do what I want?

I now have another question: Just exactly how are the virtual devices (db-07 through db-14) supposed to work? I was trying to use db-14 to hold two different pause lengths using the Pause protocol (mainly because I don't like having the TV and receiver turn on virtually simultaneously.) I created the pauses on db-14 keys 8 ($80 length) and 9 ($FF length). But, I then realized that keys 8 and 9 no longer worked for my receiver. When I checked in IR, it had changed them to RCVR/AMP. When I changed them to db-14, then re-read in the file from disk, it would keep changing it back. I had similar issues with the other db's mirroring devices. Can I not use db's for special macros? The notes say you can't do keymoves, but I'm not clear if that would include the pause protocol. For now, I stuck them on CD, as I don't use that device.
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyross wrote:
Can I not use db's for special macros? The notes say you can't do keymoves.

Unfortunately, special protocols are keymoves programmed to use a special device and protocol. The reason you can't use keymoves on db-8 through db-14 is that the remote only stores three bits of the keymove device. So keymoves can only reference device #s 0 through 7. 8 wraps around to 0, 9 to 1, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: