JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

strange problem with my Simple parallel port JP1 cable

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wl

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: strange problem with my Simple parallel port JP1 cable Reply with quote

I am experiencing a strange problem with my Simple parallel port JP1 cable. I have used this cable for over a year now without any problems on both a desktop and a Dell laptop.
Recently I have upgraded the Dell laptop to a Compaq laptop. The JP1 cable works fine connected to the Compaq Port Replicator, however when connected directly to the laptop, as soon as I connect the cable to the remote (15-2116), the LCD display lights up and the "no response" error comes up. The Port Replicator uses the same parallel port as the laptop, it’s just a pass through port. I’m running XP pro w/ Sp2.
whompus

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like when connected to the Port Replicator the parallel port becomes standerd port and on the computer is enhanced. Go into the bios and change the parallel port to standerd and see if that works.
wl

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It didn’t make any difference; I’ve changed the parallel port in the BIOS to Standard, Bi-directional, ECP, and EPP. Same result.
It looks like a voltage thing.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: strange problem with my Simple parallel port JP1 cable Reply with quote

wl wrote:
... as soon as I connect the cable to the remote (15-2116), the LCD display lights up and the "no response" error comes up. ...

Been there, done that.

I will preach my routine recommendation.

"Try reversing one of the batteries in the 2116 for up/downloads"
whitesentra

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reverse battery Reply with quote

To Capn Trips
Great advice about the batteries. I just received a URC-8811 remote and I'm learning about the whole JP1 process. I had the remote working earlier tonight then it stopped communicating. I just spent 2 hours trying to get it to communicate with the PC. I ran across your battery trick during a search. It worked! Keep preaching.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: