JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which remotes are equivalent?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject: Which remotes are equivalent? Reply with quote

1. Is there a table someplace which would tell which JP1 remotes of the One For All variety have relatives in the Radio Shack list?
2. Is there also information about whatever small differences they may have?
One reason I ask is that the search of the forum reveals lots of wonderful advice. Much of it applies even if the remote brand isn't mine. But I can't always tell which. I think URC8910 is close to RS2116, for instance, but I'm not even sure of that.

To continue this dream,
3. Is there, perhaps some cross-ref of features, the kind one might see in Consumer Reports? That would be useful for picking the next JP1 remote someplace.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While certain RS remotes are similar to certain OFA remotes, none of them are even close to being identical, so your opening premise is incorrect. However, all UEI remotes are similar in many ways.

As for a chart, maybe this is what you're looking for...
http://jp1.filebug.com/remchart.htm
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
...none of them are even close to being identical...

Eh? I don't expect identical. But I'd think a list of "close" would be good enough.
Chart is neat, many thanks! Not exactly what I had in mind, but might be a good beginning for zeroing in on "close".
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"close" becomes very hard to define.

There are families of models that are very closely related (6011, 8011, 8811, etc.) But as Rob said there is no instance of an OFA model being in the same family as an RS model.

There are major features, like LCD, that someone might use as the basis for "close". An RCU810, urc-8910 and RS 15-2116 are all LCD models and as such share some characteristics that are distinct from non LCD models. But at best that is a poor definition for "close".
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:
"close" becomes very hard to define.

Is "vague question" easier or harder to define? Wink

For the most part it has to do with decision about what of your answers, here, apply to me in exact detail (e.g. push set set number to get shift-number going 8910, which some remotes share), or apply conceptually, an easier area.
So there. Thread closed. I got my answers. Thanks again, John!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
(e.g. push set set number to get shift-number going 8910, which some remotes share)

Just about every UEI remote shares that feature.

If you're looking for vague closeness, here's a brief summary of the remote groups...

1) Current LCD remotes
Such as the URC-8910, 15-2116, RCU810, etc. These remotes all use the latest Samsung S3C8 processor and programming is done via onscreen menus. All of the current models are 8 device learning remotes.

2) Current non-LCD remotes
Such as URC-8811, 15-2104, etc. These remotes also use the latest Samsung S3C8 processor and programming is done using the traditional 9xx commands. Some models have learning (URC-8811, 15-2104, etc), some require extra parts to make them JP1 compatible (URC-6011, URC-6131, etc)

3) Older non-LCD remotes
Such as the URC-7800, 15-1994, etc. These remotes use a slightly older version of the Samsung S3C8 processor, the main difference being the address of the RAM. There is no noticable difference, to the non-expert user, between these remotes and the remotes in group #2.

4) Older LCD remotes
Such as the URC-9800, 15-1995, etc. These remotes use the Mitsubishi 740 processor and programming is done via onscreen menus. The 740 processor isn't as flexible as the S3C8 and it doesn't support learning. The 2 models that have learning (URC-8800 and URC-9800) have a second processor (S3C8) and EEPROM on board just to support the learning feature and the learned signals are not accessible using IR.exe for decoding purposes.

5) Much older non-LCD remotes
Such as the URC-7070, 15-1925, etc. These remotes use a Motorola 6805 chip and programming is done using the traditional 9xx commands. Just like with the 740, the 6805 chip is nowhere near as flexible as the S3C8 and it also lacks learning support. The one model that also has learning (the URC-7070) also has a second processor for this where the learned signals are stored in RAM and are therefore lost when the batteries are removed. Most 6805 remotes were produced before the 6-pin JP1 connector came into use.

6) Much older LCD remotes
Such as URC-6805. I forget what processor these remotes use, but they don't use an EEPROM and are therefore not JP1-able even with a hardware mod.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabulous! Vague closeness is perfect Smile . Thank you so much for the long story and reading my mind a bit.
This bit of grouping, especially the first three groups and the Motorola group, is what I needed. It just helps to know what you're reading about and to search thie forum better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: