JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Direct codes for brightness/LED adjustment on LG OLED TVs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
digital_silence

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:30 am    Post subject: Direct codes for brightness/LED adjustment on LG OLED TVs Reply with quote

Hi all,

Long time no post. Hope everyone made it through C19 more or less painlessly.

I have a (seemingly) "weird" inquiry.

The story: I have an LG OLED TV here which has a fault. Its picture brightness settings are set to maximum, and because of that, every time when the TV is turned ON, it activates the internal overcurrent protection (too much current is drawn by OLED pixels) after few seconds, and switches itself OFF.

Unfortunately, the fault is inside the OLED panel and is therefore not repairable. It's been like that for quite a long time. When I acquired this TV, those settings were not right at their maximum, so the switch OFF time was long enough for me to be able to go to the settings and adjust the brightness down, which stopped the overcurrent protection from kicking in.

This time (after the accidental reset of all settings) I am not as lucky - the turn OFF time now is about 5-7 seconds, so I can't make it to the required settings menu page that quickly, and the TV switches OFF before.

So, I am looking for a solution to be able to very quickly (after power on) adjust the two most critical settings - "OLED Light" and "Brightness", without needing to go via the TV menu by using navigation buttons on the remote (I won't be able to get to the required settings in time).

I am wondering if there might be some "direct" remote codes, allowing for direct adjustment of "OLED Light" and "Brightness", just like it is done for audio Volume.

Hope I explained the problem clearly.
Any other suggestions are also welcome as to how to quickly (within 5-7 seconds) adjust down those two settings above, before the protection kicks in. I'd say "OLED Light" is more important of the two as it affects the OLED pixel current directly.

The TV model No is LG 65EG960T.

Thank you.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have explained the problem very clearly, but you neglected to see what setup code or upgrade you are using for this set, so we'd have no way of knowing if there are discrete codes for that codeset.

I'd say discrete brightness codes are very unlikely, as I've certainly never heard of them before, but brightness controls are quite common. What I mean is, it might be possible to program BRIGHTNESS+ and BRIGHTNESS- buttons, eliminating the need to go to the Menu first. If that were possible, you might be able to stand there holding the BRIGHTNESS- button as soon as you power on the TV.

It's also possible that there is a "black screen" code, sort of like a MUTE DISPLAY kind of thing, which might buy you some time. In other words, if you could quickly kill the display, while the TV is on, you could (in theory) navigate to the menu (blindly), select the display brightness and reduce it.

If none of that is possible, I wonder if there is a physical way to turn off the screen by unplugging something, or maybe adding a mechanical switch somewhere?

Last edited by The Robman on Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having said that, I researched the LG TV upgrades that we have and I see the vast majority of them use NEC1 dev 4, and from there I found that we have a service remote and a master file of all the "known" button codes.

Service remote:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26316

Master file:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=9677

I don't know what the various buttons in these 2 files do, but it might be worth some experimentation, for example...

OBC Button
250 IN-Stop IN-Stop (Factory Reset) - might this reset the brightness to something normal?
251 IN-Start IN-Start
255 EZ-Adjust Calibration TV LG - maybe a quicker way to reduce the brightness?
149 ENERGY SAVING - would energy saving mode have a less bright screen?
213 RGB Discrete
digital_silence

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,
Thanks for your valuable input, as always.

The itemised response is below.

1) I indeed forgot to mention that I am using the original LG magic remote that came with this TV set, and also the original LG service remote (such as, for example, shown here:
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/MKJ39170828-Service-Remote-Control-LCD/dp/B0BK9SH3RP ).
I was not using the JP1 remote with it, but can confirm that amaizingly, all LG remote controls and codes seem to be intercompatible between almost all LG TVs, from plasma, through to OLEDs. Meaning that you can take your 20 year old LG TV remote and it will be almost guaranteed to work with your brand new OLED TV.
And yes, it is NEC1 Dev4.

2) About mechanical (electrical? :) unplugging something to blank the screen: those tvs are damn smart (in many senses of this word). If you interfere with the hardware, they quickly detect that, and switch off the tv even sooner than those 5-7sec. I have not figured out how to quickly do that blanking via remote buttonpress. Will keep looking.

3) Programming BRIGHTNESS+ and BRIGHTNESS- buttons was exactly the question I opened this thread for. I can't see those codes in LG TV JP1 upgrades tho.

4) Regarding the service remote codes you suggested:

IN-STOP: not just a factory reset, but does many other irreversible changes, should generally not be used, very last resort. Besides, if the h/w shutdown happens in the middle of the factory reset process, that may brick the unit all together. So, I am reluctant to go down that path, so far.

IN-START and E-ADJUST - thise just invoke some convoluted service menus, with no direct control of the brightness, and with the risk of screwing up something else.

ENERGY SAVING - hmmm... This button is not found on the original LGservice remote (see the link above), so I was not aware of it, and don't know what it does. Thanks for pointing out - I will see what it does.

RGB Discrete - idk what it does, but generally RGB settings are used for fine tuning the colour (or color) gamut of the individual panel, and do not do much for current consumption. But I will explore this option too.

Thanks again for your suggestions. I will post the updates here, when there are.
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:20 am    Post subject: Direct codes for brightness/LED adjustment on LG OLED TVs Reply with quote

Now that I know you have the service remote
I believe there might be a way to bypass the protection
Take a look at this forum, it has a wealth of info on TV's
I have used their help in the past
This article may not be your exact model but it should help plus you can do a search for your model

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/troubleshooting-hardware-devices-and-electronics-theory/troubleshooting-tvs-and-video-sources/82501-lg-oled-65eg9600-no-picture
digital_silence

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, HamburgerHelper1, I know about BCs, of course, and have been a member there for a long time. Actually, EG9600 and my EG960 are very close models. I am aware of those tricks described in that thread. (Diah is a unique guy with a lot of knowledge on the subject). I am convinced that in my case, it is a slowly dying panel (at some stage, I spent a lot of time on it with logic and proticol analyzers). I also tried the donor mainboard and T-con too, with no luck, so it is a very clear case of the faulty panel. Just trying to squeeze little more life out of the dying horse... Even the description I gave in the original post above is heavily simplified, for the sake of clarity.

And surely, I appreciate your input and willingness to help. Cheers!
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:09 am    Post subject: Direct codes for brightness/LED adjustment on LG OLED TVs Reply with quote

Where are you located?
Perhaps you could find your local E-Recycle companies and see if you could find a panel that way.
Maybe a smashed screen but the back-lights are still good
Yes you would have to take the panels apart but it might be worth it
digital_silence

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Direct codes for brightness/LED adjustment on LG OLED TV Reply with quote

HamburgerHelper1 wrote:
Where are you located?
Perhaps you could find your local E-Recycle companies and see if you could find a panel that way.
Maybe a smashed screen but the back-lights are still good
Yes you would have to take the panels apart but it might be worth it

Down under. Very small second hand spare parts market here. There are several reasons for that, but that's a separate topic. Bottom line is that the chance to find the right panel is virtually next to zero, and the price would not be economically viable.

Regarding the "backlights" - LOL, this TV is OLED :)
I'd be laughing if it was LCD with LED bkl - I replaced the led strips in about a couple of dozen panels in the past. Wish my problem was that simple. OLED panels are not repairable, unfortunately.
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:11 am    Post subject: Direct codes for brightness/LED adjustment on LG OLED TVs Reply with quote

I forgot it was OLED
I will take a look at it whenever one of that model comes into the E recycle Plaace i deal with
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:08 am    Post subject: Options? Reply with quote

Steve here. Old TV tech, and I have an LG projector. I can't think of any hardware mods that would work. You're fighting the fact it's probably a "smart" TV and has to "boot" like a computer and it won't take commands while booting. The projector has commands like "energy saving" which adjust the backlight but it brings up a menu. "Blank" is a direct command that blanks the video but leaves the screen slightly lit for adjusting picture shape. It is a toggle command so pretty safe to try. (I killed my RJ-45 jack with one of the reset commands) On my set, however, any other command shuts it back off.

The only other think that I can think of is to use one of the direct input selection commands (HDMI-1, Composite, Component, etc) and pick one with no input applied. The screen might go dark and give you time to get into the menu. You could also connect something that has a black screen showing. (but still turned on)

Also, on my set, each input has it's own settings stored so brightness setting might not be set globally, only per input. You might find one that is global if you're lucky.

I don't have JP-1 running on any of my current computers, but from the rmdu file, I have some commands in hex.

blank = DE
energy saving = 56
HDMI = 9C (HDMI toggle with no menu 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc)
Component = 02 (switch to Component with no menu)
AVI = A5 (probably direct to composite)
HDMI 2 = CC
Picture mode = 4D (direct but might be in a sub-menu)
AV Mode = F3 (I don't remember what this direct does right now)

It's also possible that you have a TV problem that is getting worse.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just cross-referenced the buttons that Steve posted to the master file, to see what's new and the "blank" button is not in the master file, so that's new:

blank = 132 **new***
energy saving = 149 same
HDMI = 198 HDMI discrete
Component = 191 COMPONENT Discrete
AVI = 90 AVI discrete
HDMI 2 = 204 HDMI 1
Picture mode = 77 same
AV Mode = 48 update
digital_silence

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone contributed for your ideas. I have some avenues to explore.

Strongly agree with you, Steve, that this panel is no doubts deteriorating, and every hour of future work from its side will be a blessing.
HamburgerHelper1, by your reply it looks like you are in oz too. If so, I might reach out to you in PM regarding access to the e-recycling and 2nd hand modules, if u don't mind.

And glad that the master file got an update as a result of this topic. :)

Will post my progress (or my failure) here when ready.
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:31 am    Post subject: Direct codes for brightness/LED adjustment on LG OLED TVs Reply with quote

digital_silence wrote:
Thanks to everyone contributed for your ideas. I have some avenues to explore.

HamburgerHelper1, by your reply it looks like you are in oz too. If so, I might reach out to you in PM regarding access to the e-recycling and 2nd hand modules, if u don't mind.
Will post my progress (or my failure) here when ready.

Sorry I am in the US but if we get one in I will try to do testing on it
That is if I can get my hands on it before they sell it or dismantle it
Some things if in good enough shape they sell on EBAY
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: