JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

THANK YOU!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
teddy_m

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:41 pm    Post subject: THANK YOU!! Reply with quote

THANKS for this fantastic program, methods you've developed, and all the expert forum replies!! it's all very impressive.

I didn't think I'd end up needing to post for anything, with the wiki and threads here plus a couple days fumbling around I was able to get everything set up.

then today I did a factory reset (inteset 422-3) using 977 from the owner's manual. manually adding back the same inteset device codes for A - D I had originally used, the first three worked, D/04465 (channel master dvr+) does one red light at the end, not two blinks.

tried multiple times, resetting with 977 again at various points, tried assigning to inteset device button C (after one of the resets) instead of D but 04465 continues to produce a single red light.

following the final 977 reset I got an rmir file of the remote in its presumed default state: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26845

don't know if that will help in troubleshooting or not.

if it matters, I notice that even after the reset it's still showing three of the four inteset factory codes I originally entered into the remote for device buttons A - D:

SetupCode=4465 (channel master dvr+)
SetupCode=1516 (sony bdp player)
SetupCode=2051 (samsung tv)

the 977 code resulted in four flashes like the manual says it should so if that worked is it unexpected these entered codes are still there?

if needed, I have two screenshots I could post of the "General" and "Devices" tab at the time I created this rmir file.

thanks again for such an amazing program!!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like that setup code was installed as an upgrade (presumably from the factory) and you wiped it out when you did the reset. Did you save an RMIR file from before the reset?

Either way, we have the Channel Master DVR+ upgrade file in our file section, so you can re-add it using that.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13871
teddy_m

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks. if needed I posted the final/working rmir before remote reset trouble here: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26846

but I think the trouble is the remote itself, either on its own or due to something I uploaded from rmir prog at some point. maybe something from a device upgrade file is still linked inside the remote when it shouldn't be? that's why I posted the first rmir in op, in case someone can spot something that normally shouldn't be there after a factory reset (and perhaps why the remote will no longer take device button code 04465).

I have A - D on the remote and three device upgrade files I got from "File Section" so I could remap functionality, copy in a couple functions from a fourth upgrade file.

two of those with device upgrade files continue to work fine and the remote will still let me assign them to A - D. the third of the devices with an upgrade file used to work fine before the 977 reset I did and now the remote will essentially not accept 04465 (dvr+) when I try to assign it to an unused remote device button.

is there a hard reset available on these, like shorting two+ pins on the connector? there is what looks like a small hole near the connector but it appears to be covered and I can't find anything in the user's manual about what it might be so am reluctant to stick a pin in it.

the rmir prog can still seemingly read/write from/to the remote just fine, the problem is that if the remote will no longer take code 04465 I can't assign its device to A, B, C or D, which as a result means I can't tell the remote when it needs to use the remote button keys to operate the dvr+/04465.

iow it's as if the device upgrade functionality for all of them is inside the remote but it will only let me activate two of them because the third/dvr+ can't be assigned to A, B, C or D.
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:25 am    Post subject: THANK YOU!! Reply with quote

I think I know what you are trying to do and why it is not working for you.
Am I correct in that you are trying to set "D" as dvr+/04465. and that you are holding setup on the remote and then entering 04465 ? If this is the case it is because "D" is not set as that device type.
Open the file you uploaded into RMIR
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26845
and click the device tab. There you will see a device 4465 with device type "VCR"
now click on the"General "Tab" for device "D" enter the setup code 4465.
You will now notice the code is in red and the warning that red codes are invalid
on device "d" under "type" it is CBL/SAT change that to "dvd/vcr" and it is no longer red and the invalid warning goes away
Upload this to the remote and see if "d" now controls the channel master dvr+
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted, is Randy correct that you are adding upgrades using RMIR but then you're trying to program those upgrades to the ABCD device buttons on the remote itself, rather than using RMIR? If so, why? Why not just program the upgrade to a device button when you add the upgrade to RMIR?

Also, could I ask a favor, if you need to post any more files for us to look at, just post the file "as is", don't zip it, that just creates several extra steps that I need to follow to unzip it in order to look at it.
teddy_m

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it works again!! thanks so much for the help guys.

@HamburgerHelper1 you are correct, I was trying/failing to assign 04465 to remote device button D using remote's "Set". (04465 would not be accepted for button C either when I was troubleshooting before op. but the remote would accept other physical device codes on D so the issue seemed to be something about "04465" specifically).

I'm not able to edit most in rmir under "General", looking at the RDF for this remote I see the order is jumbled and don't know if that's intentional, whether or not a devN corresponds to a respective A - D letter, etc.

but in any case when in its default state only the rows I highlight in the screenshot are editable, so in this spot with the remote preventing me from assigning 04465 to D you can see that it does not light up "Edit..." when I click that line. (none of the "Setup Code" values in the screenshot are any I entered into the remote, I have no idea where they came from or what they are.)

so w/o being able to do this part as you suggest, once in rmir prog I did remote download then tried going to "Devices" tab where my entered codes all still show. I was able to change (0)4465 to "Cable" and upload but it didn't work, remote still failed on 04465.

so I did the download of my first rmir link I sent, loaded that into rmir but per the above still had to go to "Devices" tab to change (0)4465 to "Cable". once I uploaded that I could again get the remote to assign 04465 to D!

but I'm unclear on why loading that file helped, since it was theoretically identical to what I would have in rmir program when I do download alone from the reset remote.

before I did load the file I noticed it was a different size than the original, all instances of "CmdParms=OBC,..." in the original now said "CmdParms=OBC\=0,..." in what I got from the site. could this have been a factor in getting the remote to again allow using 04465 for button D?

@The Robman apologies about the zips, I now know for the future Smile (I thought I had run across something in the help for "File Section/Diagnosis Area" that they were to be zipped.)

Quote:
you are adding upgrades using RMIR but then you're trying to program those upgrades to the ABCD device buttons on the remote itself?

actually I did the factory code entries for A - D. granted I'm a novice with rmir so could be doing things incorrectly. but in lots of fiddling/reading it seemed to me that the only way for a device code to end up in "General -> Setup Code" was if I put it there via the "Set" button on the remote.

as I mentioned above about this remote's RDF, I couldn't figure out from it if I was supposed to be able to directly edit everything in "General", but since I couldn't initially I ended up doing everything under "Devices" (usually highlight the item of interest, "Edit" then load the device upgrade file for it).

The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ted, I'm not totally following all that you describe but I can't help but think that you are making this all way more complicated than it needs to be.

Looking at your inteset_422-3.default_state.rmir file I see that setup code VCR/4665 is there in the "Devices" upgrade section. Have you tried assigning VCR/4665 to the D button in RMIR and load that to your remote?

THe way you keep describing (0)4665 makes me think that you're still trying to do that part on the remote itself. I notice that all of the setup codes that you currently have assigned to device buttons are CBL codes, whereas this code is a VCR code, so that's probably why you can't assign it as 0-4665.
teddy_m

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Have you tried assigning VCR/4665 to the D button in RMIR and load that to your remote?

I'd be happy to reset the remote and try, but you'd need to tell me how to do it.

I originally wanted to use "General" but if you look at the screenshot at the end of my previous reply you'll see the only editable rows are the three I highlighted. in addition, none of the eight codes there are something I entered or have any idea where they came from.

Quote:
I notice that all of the setup codes that you currently have assigned to device buttons are CBL codes, whereas this code is a VCR code, so that's probably why you can't assign it as 0-4665.

if I'm not misunderstanding, I've only told the remote about four codes (via remote "Set"):

(1)2051 # samsung tv
(3)1309 # technics rec'r
(2)1516 # sony bdp player
(0)4465 # channel master dvr+

anything else isn't a code I entered or know where it came from. all the device upgrade files I've downloaded get the "Setup Code" box changed to whatever the corresponding factory device code is.

btw I don't know where "VCR" comes from, I've never used that term and none of my device upgrade files have that in it. I do see it's in at least one of the rmir files I uploaded but the "SetupCode" associated with it isn't a code I've ever used or know where it came from.
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:51 am    Post subject: THANK YOU!! Reply with quote

under device tab the vcr type 4465 is visible this is the upgrade for your channel master dvr+
and on the general tab you can edit the type and setup code by clicking them directly
and sorry Rob for not resizing image

teddy_m

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: THANK YOU!! Reply with quote

HamburgerHelper1 wrote:
on the general tab you can edit the type and setup code by clicking them directly

sonofagun!! after seeing your screenshot I inadvertently clicked the mouse pointer in quick succession on a "General" item trying to see if there was an out view down arrow and all of a sudden a dropdown menu appeared!

if you look at my previous message with the screenshot, "General" items show that a row has been selected/highlighted but not until two quick clicks are done is there any indication a down arrow or menu exists. so all this time I thought most were uneditable therefore entered the code myself into the remote and used "Devices" for everything else.

if it matters, I use linux, jre 8.x and have a bare minimum of qt support installed (I've always been a gtk+/gtk2 user). I haven't tried rmir in windows so don't know if its "General" rows make it obvious there are dropdowns available.

Quote:
under device tab the vcr type 4465 is visible this is the upgrade for your channel master dvr+

agreed but as I say, I don't know how that got there Smile

I use "Devices" to load one of three main device upgrade files I downloaded from here. I enter my "Setup Code" and make whatever button/function changes I'm interested in.

that gets saved with a new file name reflecting identifying information like date/what's different from the previous save. all rmdu files are kept by themselves in a single directory.

none of them are ever uploaded to the remote until I'm ready, at which point I do a new download from the remote, go to "Devices" to click the row with one of my setup codes then "Edit", "Open" respective rmdu, double-check things and "OK".

when I grep that rmdu save directory (45 files) the only place "VCR" shows up is rmir files, not a single of the rmdu source files or my numerous iterations contains "VCR".

as to how that got into the remote, I haven't made more than a couple rmir saves and never use them to load into the remote. but now that I think back it's possible I did upload an rmir to the remote once (before I ever posted here).

but with that said, if "VCR" does not exist in any of my rmdu files I don't really understand how it could've ended up in an rmir file.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that several of these "upgrades" were actually added in the factory. Taking the 4465 code as an example, 4465 is the official UEI setup code number for this code, so that is further evidence that this is an official upgrade.

When we make our own upgrades for devices, it makes no difference what setup code we use (I tend to use 2000), and we certainly don't usually take the time to find out if there is an official code and use that number.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: