JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Streaming devices with IR control
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyross

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did some Googling and found out on Google TV devices, hold down the YouTube key, and you can select different YouTube apps IF they are installed, to be called by that key instead of the normal YouTube.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyross wrote:
Did some Googling and found out on Google TV devices, hold down the YouTube key, and you can select different YouTube apps IF they are installed, to be called by that key instead of the normal YouTube.

Thanks, yes you have a choice of YT, YTTV, or You Tube Music. After choosing which one the keys it will take you to that from now on. Smile
dtrump

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyross wrote:
I do know on a Roku, you can access YouTube TV through the regular YouTube app (left YT menu, near the bottom).

I was aware of that ability, but with the YouTube TV app installed, that is much more convenient. My wish for a dedicated button for YTTV is to be able to open that app immediately from any other running app.

Creating a macro to do the appropriate button presses (Home, Home, OK, OK - assuming YTTV has been placed in the first app position) isn't practical because the delays required vary significantly depending on what other app is running.

Sampling the various solutions to "cutting the cord" and being already committed to Roku, I've decided that YTTV works best for me, but there are just a few quirks about it that make macro-based navigation unpredictable. Also, it is dependent on the version of Roku being used. I own 3 different generations, all serviceable, but with the navigation speed being different for each one.

---
Dick
mike.s

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roku has a personal shortcuts feature when using their Voice Enhanced/Pro remotes. It lets you associate a key to a shortcut, which can be to any channel. The keys (there are 2 available) always send the same RF code, the action is programmed in the Roku itself. Unfortunately, there don't seem to be corresponding IR codes. In searching, it sounds like there might have been at one time, but Roku removed them. We need those IR codes to come back, so we have a "universal" solution for any channel (among other things for which there are no codes).
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a universal remote phone app (theHomeRemote) that controls Roku over TCP/IP. It can launch any app. You have to run some queries to discover the list of app IDs, then build your command buttons accordingly. I wrote a thread about the process here some years ago. See Deep Linking here:
https://developer.roku.com/docs/developer-program/dev-tools/external-control-api.md

There has never been IR codes on Roku for all apps, only a limited subset.
n8nagel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

n8nagel wrote:
jetstar52 wrote:
I use a FireTV Stick 4K with one of these OTG cables that allows me to use my IR remotes to control the Fire TV:

https://www.amazon.com/Inteset-Receiver-Harmony-Remotes-Included/dp/B07KPPQFF8

FWIW there's some quirks with the upgrade for that that I've been meaning to fix but haven't got around to it yet. It is a nice solution though, since Amazon doesn't offer a IR capable box like Roku does. (the problem is not with Inteset, but with the shared play/pause button on the Fire Stick. There's documents on Inteset's web site that show the button mappings for the devices it supports, I'm just a lazy sack and haven't made a Fire Stick specific upgrade yet.)

I started working on this over the weekend but didn't get very far as putting the Inteset docs in a spreadsheet requires some hand work.

I also have a feeling this may end up with me having to buy a Inteset remote to fully understand how this works; however the good news is I have a Harmony 650 to play with so I can actually test those. Also the Inteset remote is only $27 from that river themed e-commerce site. I'm not sure from the docs if all supported devices use the same device/"OEM2" or not, it appears that Inteset supports several different devices with the IReTV but they also list different setup codes for them? The one posted for a generic Inteset IReTV is mostly working with my Fire Stick however, which is why it's taken me 10 months to double back to this. I have found myself using the Fire Stick more recently which has motivated me to deal with it, plus this is something one can do quietly while dealing with insomnia...
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What’s wrong with the IReTV upgrades we already made? They work fine for me.
n8nagel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
What’s wrong with the IReTV upgrades we already made? They work fine for me.

The biggest thing for me is the upgrade has different OBCs for Play and Pause whereas my Fire Stick has one play/pause function, should use the same OBC and be mapped to both buttons.

I can't remember now which one actually works, but that was the one thing I noticed. But, because I always dive in and have this desire to make things perfect, I have to cross reference everything with the actual Inteset documents... Unfortunately it looks like nobody's maintaining their forums as they're infested with Thai (?) spam so asking there for protocols and OBCs doesn't look like it will yield a meaningful answer.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn’t matter what buttons are on the remote. My AVR remote has 40 buttons, but my AVR responds to 400 different functions. So map whatever functions you want and forget about what’s on the remote. It’s not about perfection, it’s about utility. My “perfect” AVR remote would be the size of my coffee table. So map the functions you actually need, no more, no less. If that means play or pause on 2 buttons, great.
n8nagel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
It doesn’t matter what buttons are on the remote. My AVR remote has 40 buttons, but my AVR responds to 400 different functions. So map whatever functions you want and forget about what’s on the remote. It’s not about perfection, it’s about utility. My “perfect” AVR remote would be the size of my coffee table. So map the functions you actually need, no more, no less. If that means play or pause on 2 buttons, great.

I understand what you are saying, but one of the buttons does not work, so I need to fix it and map the OBC that does to both Play and Pause.

The rest, as you correctly state, is OCD and I don't "have" to do it. But I kind of do...
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n8nagel wrote:
mdavej wrote:

I understand what you are saying, but one of the buttons does not work, so I need to fix it and map the OBC that does to both Play and Pause.

The rest, as you correctly state, is OCD and I don't "have" to do it. But I kind of do...
Gotcha. I don't have an IReTV dongle anymore. But seems like both worked at the time. They have been known to change things on their end though.

Since you're going to the trouble of analyzing all of them, what would be nice to see is the full function list in the RMDU, but with comments/notes on the ones that don't work with Fire stick. Of course those functions would remain unassigned on the button tab.
n8nagel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it appears that play and pause are different OBCs but both work in Netflix, but only Pause works for Disney+ (I've been watching a lot of Star Wars and MCU stuff lately which is why I noticed the weirdness)

I am wondering if the other devices that the IReTV controls are completely different device codes? it appears it may be that way.

I'm tempted to just buy a Inteset remote to play with as it appears that it is also a JP1 remote which opens up a whole can o' worms but also could be a useful tool for figuring this stuff out. But I'd need to get a cable as I've only ever used Harmony and Xsight.
andyross

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if I had mentioned earlier, but there are some issues with the combined play/pause on the newer FireTV remote. Because it is an RF remote, there is no way to capture the code as far as I know.

IN some of the settings or info menus, play/pause can call up extra info. I can't do that with the IR control. I ran through all the unused EFC's (at least 0-255), and didn't find anything that worked. But then, that may depend on whatever driver the Fire TV loads when it detects the IR receiver. Maybe it's something that can be configured?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that play/pause support is app specific. Some apps use one, the other or neither (use Select instead). So set up your remote whichever way works best in your use cases.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: