JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Create a sort of global macro

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyross

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:06 pm    Post subject: Create a sort of global macro Reply with quote

I have a RCA RCRP05B with the extender. I have sort-of run out of device buttons. I currently have TV=Sony TV, DVR=Roku, CBL=Tablo HDMI, DVD=Sony BD player, and AUD=Onkyo receiver.

After recently cancelling my Comcast TV, I got a Fire TV stick, mainly as a backup to the Roku. Of course, it uses an RF remote, so I can't control it with the RCA remote.

Currently, each of the regular device codes have LKP's on them to do things like power on and select inputs. The short keypress just selects that device for control.

I was wondering the best way to set up some form of global macro to send the commands to turn things on and set inputs for the FireTV. Will I have to find a common key for all devices and set an SKP/LKP on each input to call the same macro?

As reference, I uploaded the current RMIR file, just in case. It's RCAExt-Onkyo-Roku-Tablo-FireTV. http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26758
davecs

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I can think of is to find a way to activate one of the three devices which have no buttons. I don't know the remote well enough to tell you precisely how to do that, but on the 6440 remote with the extender, you have to press shift before the device key, once or twice, to activate the hidden devices, ie, shift-tv = tv2 and shift-shift-tv = tv3. I've also been able to write L/DKP on these keys so that, for a example, a short or single press on TV, gives TV, and a long or double press on TV gives TV3. But as I said I don't know how you do that on your remote, but it must be possible else there would be no point in making those devices available via RMIR.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice that the ON_DEMAND button is not used in any of your device upgrades, except for the Sony KDL-46EX700 upgrade, where it's randomly programmed with "Internet Video". Perhaps you could move "Internet Video" to the un-used LIST button, and then use ON_DEMAND as the device button for the FireStick.

Just a curiosity question, I see a JVC VCR and a Zenith DTT901 programmed to the phantom device buttons (dev4 and dev5), but I don't see any way to access them. Is that just left-over programming from a previous setup?

How do you like the Tablo DVR?
andyross

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DTT and VCR are leftovers. I still have the VCR, in a closet.
On the TV, the Internet Video is useless. It's from 2010 and no longer really "smart". It's not even Internet connected anymore.
The Tablo is nice. I mainly only use it as DVR. I use the TV for live.
I guess I will treat OnDemand similar to the way I treat the Power key.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can treat the On Demand button as the 6th device button and set it up to do everything that you need to watch Fire TV. I assume, once everything's in Fire TV mode, you have to switch to the Fire TV remote, right?
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the help of this:

https://www.amazon.com/Inteset-Receiver-Harmony-Remotes-Included/dp/B07KPPQFF8

You could control the Fire Stick with Rca remote by using the xbox 360 code.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inteset IReTV upgrade here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=25479
andyross

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of something like that. I did end up buying a combo Ethernet/USB hub to add memory. I only paid $25 for the Fire TV stick 4K Max, but have spent $14 for the adapter. Plus another $15 for the Amazon Ethernet adapter originally. At least I found out that works with a Roku Express 4K+ in the bedroom.

I don't really like the Amazon remote. It's too small, thin, and light. The direction/OK buttons are too stiff.

I mainly use a Roku Ultra, but got the Fire TV as a backup on a different ecosystem, just in case.
andyross

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the IR remote cable and put the upgrade on the DVD key of the remote (I rarely use the BD player, and will work on finding a workaround later.) It does work with the Fire TV, but the arrow keys are a bit flaky. Every once in awhile, it will suddenly move rapidly as if I hold it down, even though I don't and the remote light had turned off. I think it's sometimes misinterpreting something.

Did a quick test with Hulu, and the SKIP button triggers Next Episode.
n8nagel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

was going to mention the Inteset IReTV but I see Rob beat me to it. I've been using one since December in my living room; had to reboot it once and that's it. A nice solution as my TV is pre-"smart" and I prefer not to use a TV's built in apps anyway. (the downside is, the TV's guide has been deprecated so if I want an on screen OTA guide, I don't have one - unless I hook up a separate tuner, which I may do)
andyross

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my Firestick, I had to remove the Ethernet/Hub adapter I was using as there was something wrong with it. The Firestick would occasionally not be able to see the network. I also had the USB drive seem to be lost and when I tried to run something that had been copied to it, it would redownload and install it. Not sure if it had other issues that could have been causing the repeat-key problem with the IR adapter.

At the moment, I am using a simple OTG cable with the USB drive in it, and using WiFi. I am looking to find a more basic hub to use, then add in the IR adapter and a standalone Ethernet adapter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: