JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I'd like to program Channel lock on One for All URC8820

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: I'd like to program Channel lock on One for All URC8820 Reply with quote

The manual has Volume lock but no Channel lock procedure listed. I have used the Keymover for Devices to do this somewhat but it does not work all that well. I have tried the Channel lock procedure for other remotes but it does not work. Is this possible?

Thanks!
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi johnner, Channel lock is usually found on OEM cable remotes like the Atlas and cable replacement remotes like the RCA RCRP05B or the Oneforall OARP05S. As you mentioned you can get some channel punch through with keymoves, or you can get channel punch through when using extenders. You don't mention which URC-8820 you have, but the older URC-8820B00 version has an extender. If nobody beats me to it, I plan on starting on an extender for the new version in 2010.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to achieve precisely what you want with Keymoves. Do you have a JP1.x cable? If so, upload your IR file to the diagnosis area and provide a link to it here and someone will be happy to take a look.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
johnner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

Quote:
You don't mention which URC-8820 you have, but the older URC-8820B00 version has an extender. If nobody beats me to it, I plan on starting on an extender for the new version in 2010.

The model is URC8820N, I just ordered it so I assume it is fairly newer. I am new this forum and I am not sure I follow what you are sayng with respect to extenders. How does the extender work?

Quote:
You should be able to achieve precisely what you want with Keymoves. Do you have a JP1.x cable? If so, upload your IR file to the diagnosis area and provide a link to it here and someone will be happy to take a look.

I don't have a cable. As for the KeyMover method I used was to set the CABLE, AUD and TV (Master Power Devices) and map the Channel + and - for AUD and TV to the CABLE. No matter what sequence they turn on you get a Channel Lock effect for my CABL device. The problem is when I press any other Device the Channel lock effct is lost. Is it too long winded to explain your idea here?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To make CH+ change the cable box while the remote is in TV mode:
1. Press and hold SET until the LED (red light) blinks twice, then release SET.
2. Enter 9 9 4. The LED will blink twice.
3. For the source mode, press Cable once.
4. For the source key, press CH + once.
5. For the destination mode, press TV once.
6. For the destination key, press CH + once.
7. The LED will blink twice, indicating the keymoved sequence is correct.

Follow the same recipe for CH- and for other devices.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnner wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

Quote:
You don't mention which URC-8820 you have, but the older URC-8820B00 version has an extender. If nobody beats me to it, I plan on starting on an extender for the new version in 2010.

The model is URC8820N, I just ordered it so I assume it is fairly newer. I am new this forum and I am not sure I follow what you are sayng with respect to extenders. How does the extender work?

An extender is a little program which hijacks the remote and processes all of the button presses. It allows us to do things that the remote doesn't do out of the box.

Macros In this case it has faster macros, allows for macro concatenation and macro nesting.
xShift This allows you to stack an extra function onto your keys for keymoves and macros (you already can get a shifted value, out of the box, but this is an extra shift.)
HT (Home Theater Functionality) The keys will be divided into functional groups, in this case I believe it was Channel keys, Transport Keys(dvd), Volume, PIP&Other. What this means is in each mode you can choose which device will control Volume, and which device will control the channel, which device controls the transport keys......
More keymove and macro space The learning memory will be used for keymoves and macros. (We convert our leaned keys into upgrades so we don't need the learning area for learned keys) If we need to use learning, we simply deactive the extender do our learning, and then download the learns to make a upgrade, and then reload and reactivate our extender)
Special Protocols This extender will come bundled with the JP1 special protocols.
---DSM - Device specific macros
---LKP-DKP - allows the buttons to perform different functions depending on the way they were pushed
---ToadTog - keeps state bits so that you can perform different functions depending on whether a bit is on/off
---Multiplex - allows you to change the setup code on the fly
---Pause Allows you to setup a pause in a macro.

All of these features require a cable. Also with the cable you get access to the remotes 2 phantom devices. The 8820 is really the 10820 just missing the buttons to access the other 2 devices.

[/b]

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
johnner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG, I have done what you said but to me Keymover is a really bandaid solution in this case. I would also have to Keymove CH - and 1-9 for all Device keys I use.

vickyg2003, this is very interesting stuff. I will investigate further.

Can someone explain the rationale as to why they do not have Channel Lock on these types of remotes. I thought the idea was to minimize button punching.

Thanks for all help.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take the easy way out. Watch TV in CBL mode. Set VOL lock to TV. Then keymove AUX VOL to some other pair of unused keys in CBL mode (SLEEP and MOVE perhaps). Many remotes also have home theater mode for this situation, but not the 8820, unfortunately.

You really should consider getting a cable. It makes programming quick and easy, so all those key moves you were considering take very little effort.
youngboi85

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:58 am    Post subject: Channel Lock Work Around Reply with quote

One of the ways I found to work around the channel lock, is to hold both Mute and select until the mood light comes on, then push the channel app button, followed by pushing TV. This should switch the channel lock from the cable to the TV. It would be just like switching the volume lock, except with the channel up button instead of the volume button.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Channel Lock Work Around Reply with quote

youngboi85 wrote:
One of the ways I found to work around the channel lock, is to hold both Mute and select until the mood light comes on, then push the channel app button, followed by pushing TV. This should switch the channel lock from the cable to the TV. It would be just like switching the volume lock, except with the channel up button instead of the volume button.

What are you talking about???
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChatGPT?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect youngboi85 is a spammer, so I'm just waiting for his account to suddenly have a link in its signature, but I thought I'd give him a chance to prove me wrong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: