JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Looking for least expensive JP1 ready remote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miketchow

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Looking for least expensive JP1 ready remote Reply with quote

Trying to help a friend out, What is the least expensive remote with existing JP1 sockets?

Requirements: Back lights, 3 devices or more, and less than $20 (below $15 preferred).

Will use in three kid's rooms for light control and maybe a TV or CD player.

P.S. RS 2103 ($10) seems to be ideal but it lacks the JP1 socket from what I read. I have no plan in doing any soldering.

Thanks,
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 15-2104 from Radio Shack would have fit the bill but it is not available anymore. You can try on eBay.

A few $'s more but you can check Rob's available remotes in the Market forum.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cheapest JP1 ready remote that I have is the URC-8811 which is $19, but this is a rather large 8 device learning remote, so it's alot more remote than you need. I would recommend the URC-6011 which is a much smaller remote, but it costs a dollar more at $20. The URC-6011 has backlighting and supports macros. I also have the URC-6131 for $23, which is the same size as the URC-6011, but it doesn't have backlighting and only supports macros thru JP1.

Last edited by The Robman on Mon May 10, 2004 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, in making the decision Rob suggests, remember that the only advantages the 6011 has over the 8811 are that it is physically smaller (easier to operate one handed if you have average or small hands) and has slightly fewer buttons (less intimidating to a beginner).

The 8811 has some advantages (such as learning) over the 6011, that may or may not matter to you.

Backlighting, macros, programming and most other features are the same between them.

Decide for yourself how much smaller size is worth.
miketchow

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I'll let my friend decide which one he wants.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, be aware that the 8811 from Rob or other sources and the 8810w from Walmart are all the same thing and all JP1 capable and differ only in price and/or purchasing convenience.

BUT the 6011 from sources (that I know of) other than Rob and the very similar 6012w from Walmart are both different from the 6011 from Rob. Rob adds a connector and eeprom needed for JP1.
miketchow

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification, johnsfine. I didn't know 6011 have no JP1 connector from the manufacturer.

Is there a list somewhere that specified which remotes are JP1 ready (equip with JP1 connector) or JP1 capable (need to add eeprom and/or JP1 connector). I'm not sure my friend is comfortable in buying his remote off the Internet but would like to have a list to go shopping with.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miketchow wrote:
Is there a list somewhere...

There's 2 versions of the JP1 RemoteChart: an HTML and Excel spreadsheet.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're buying the JP1 cable from the net (there's no walk in retail for that) but insist on walk in retail for the remote, there aren't a lot of good choices. I think a One for All 8 model urc-8810w from Walmart is actually the only good choice for a JP1 remote from walk-in retail. I'm pretty sure you won't find anything else at nearly as good a price. Many would argue that a 15-2117 from Radio Shack is a better JP1 remote at a not much worse price, but unless you need the RF, I personally don't think it's actually better.

The 8810w is usually out of stock at most Walmarts. If Walmart is a moderate drive, try to find out over the phone whether the "One For All Eight" is in stock (I don't know if they'd know what a urc-8810w is if you asked over the phone. That is in smaller print on the package. I hope I'm remembering the large print name right).
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 15-2117 at Radio Shack has been discontinued, so you would have a hard time finding that also. They still have the 15-2116 but they've increased the price a little to $32.

Circuit City supposedly carries One For All remotes, so you might some some of them there, but I've never checked to see if they really have them myself.

Like John said, you're best bet for a B&M store is Walmart for the URC-8810w if you can find one with it in stock.

You know, one possible solution is that you could buy the remote and cable from the net for your friend, then he wouldn't have to do a scary net transaction himself.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:

Circuit City supposedly carries One For All remotes, so you might some some of them there, but I've never checked to see if they really have them myself.

I saw one (8811 of course) somewhere for $39. I think that was Circuit City. I think it (8810w) was $27 at Walmart then. Walmart then lowered the price a couple times. I think it was just under $20 last time I checked.

Our best guess is that the "8810w" name for the 8811 exists because some stores selling the 8811 have price guarantees.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in my local Best Buy recently and they had the URC-8811 for $39 IIRC, URC-8910 for $59(?), URC-9910 for $79(?), and I think the URC-9960 for $99.

The 3 Wal-Marts around me seem to always have the 8810w in stock (at least for the past 2-3 months) for $19.64. For some reason I can't explain, it seems I MUST go into the electronics department anytime I'm there! Shocked
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
I was in my local Best Buy recently and they had the URC-8811 for $39 IIRC, URC-8910 for $59(?), URC-9910 for $79(?), and I think the URC-9960 for $99.

The 3 Wal-Marts around me seem to always have the 8810w in stock (at least for the past 2-3 months) for $19.64. For some reason I can't explain, it seems I MUST go into the electronics department anytime I'm there! Shocked

Just by way of comparison, I have the URC-8811 for $19, the URC-8910 for $23, the URC-9910 for $33 and the modded URC-9960 for $65. (I know what you mean about the electronics department!)
miketchow

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the list Mark P. provided, my friend went shopping and got himself a 8810w from Wmarts. $16.89, not too bad.

Thank you all for helping out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: