JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

8910: FAV and Com/Skip button problem, macro question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:42 am    Post subject: 8910: FAV and Com/Skip button problem, macro question Reply with quote

I, too, have a problem with FAV button but it's different.
1. FAV is not in the KeyMaster functions list (should I add it?), and it's greyed out on the Buttons sheet. I want it to do something other than scan channels. Amazing thing is that it actually scans channels even though my TV upgrade has nothing about this button, so I don't understand what's going on. Suggestions?
2. Com/Skip not in KeyMaster functions (should I add it?). Again, I'd like to use it for something other than skip commercials (reading the paper is what I do). Suggestions?
Would tweeking something in IR general tab's right side be required and if so what?
3. I coded a volume drop macro onto Sleep key. Didn't think it can be done without an extender. What's the current theory on that?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: 8910: FAV and Com/Skip button problem, macro question Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
1. FAV is not in the KeyMaster functions list (should I add it?),
2. Com/Skip not in KeyMaster functions (should I add it?).

The Functions list is supposed to reflect the buttons that are on your ORIGINAL remote, not your URC-8910, the button names that are there as a default are just there to save you typing. If your original remote has both a FAV and a COM/SKIP button, by all means add them to the Functions list.

ElizabethD wrote:
1. FAV is not in the KeyMaster functions list and it's greyed out on the Buttons sheet. I want it to do something other than scan channels. Amazing thing is that it actually scans channels even though my TV upgrade has nothing about this button, so I don't understand what's going on.

The FAV/SCAN button is a special button, the printed manual should describe how to use it in the normal manner. Because it's a special button, it's not part of any of the device keymaps, which explains why it's greyed out in KM. To program this button for other purposes, you will need to use the FAV/SCAN special protocol, available in the Special Protocols folder.

ElizabethD wrote:
2. Com/Skip not in KeyMaster functions (should I add it?). Again, I'd like to use it for something other than skip commercials (reading the paper is what I do).

The COM/SKIP button is also a special button which is not programmable using the regular methods. In this case, we don't have a special protocol that you can use, so you would need to use an extender for this one.

ElizabethD wrote:
Would tweeking something in IR general tab's right side be required and if so what?

No.

ElizabethD wrote:
3. I coded a volume drop macro onto Sleep key. Didn't think it can be done without an extender. What's the current theory on that?

It varies by remote. If you were using a 15-1994, you would not be able to program a macro to the SLEEP button, but the URC-8910 (and 15-2116) are much more forgiving about this sort of thing, these remotes even let you program macros to the device buttons without using an extender.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: FAV, ComSkip - oh boy! of course, sorry - neither one is on the TV's remote. These are TV's attributes to program. But then I wonder - is there a simple way to thell the 8910 to do NOTHING, IGNORE when FAV pushed in error? Will using the special protocol thing help me? I haven't yet gotten this far in all this new knowledge. The comSkip causes me no problem, it does nothing.

Re: Macro - great answer - thanks.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use the FAV/SCAN special protocol to program a dummy EFC to the button, that would kill it.
Ziuck

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to use the Special Protocol and do not completly follow how to do it.

I want to use the FAV/Scan button for Dish PVR.
PVR Code: Hex: E4 OBC: 57 EFC: 237
or
PVR Code: Hex: E6 OBC: 57 EFC: 253

Dish Code:
Protocol ID: 00 02
Fixed Data 00 00 80 00 00

Upgrade protocol 0 = 00 xx (S3C8)
00 00 y1 76 85 04 6B 0B 56 85 E3 56 00 DF B0 0D
E6 0z hh C6 C4 00 xx F6 43 38 50 C0 50 C1 8D 23
End

What goes where? Thanks!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using the Special Protocols spreadsheet? If so, I'm assuming you've already selected your remote (URC-8910) and selected "Fav/Scan Programmer". Next you need to enter the relevant data into the "Other Data" section (cells G27 thru I27).

The first box is "ProtID 'xx'" and the guide says to enter the "the 2- or 3- digit Protocol ID (hex)", which in your case is "02".

The next box is "# Fixed 'y'" and the guide says to enter "the number of Fixed Parameters used by the specified protocol" which in your case is 5

The final box is "Btn Cd 'hh'" and the guide says to enter "the 2-digit hex code for the Advanced Code to be assigned to the FAV/SCAN key" which in your case is either "E4" or "E6".

The spreadsheet will finish off the protocol code for you as follows:

Upgrade protocol 0 = 00 02 (S3C8)
00 00 51 76 85 04 6B 0B 56 85 E3 56 00 DF B0 0D
E6 08 E4 C6 C4 00 02 F6 43 38 50 C0 50 C1 8D 23
End

There are some limitations for when this will work and when it won't, which are explained in the guide also...

Known Limitations:
* The key works with CBL, TV, or VCR devices ONLY.
* The key CANNOT be used in macros.
* The Advanced Code must be from the Setup Code of the
active device button.
* The protocol works ONLY if the original protocol is in ROM
and the Setup Code is in EEPROM.
* If another device button using the same protocol, the same
hex command will be mapped to the FAV/SCAN key of both.
* Only 1-byte protocols are supported.
Ziuck

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! That seemed to work.

I had the Prot ID and Btn Cd hh, but how do you go about figuring the X Fixed 'y'?

Thanks again...
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ziuck wrote:
I had the Prot ID and Btn Cd hh, but how do you go about figuring the X Fixed 'y'?

I didn't figure out out, I just entered the data that the spreadsheet asked for and it took care of the rest.
Ziuck

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if I am missing something here but # Fixed 'y': the number of Fixed Parameters used by the specified protocol.

How do you know that it is 5?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ziuck wrote:
Sorry if I am missing something here but # Fixed 'y': the number of Fixed Parameters used by the specified protocol.

How do you know that it is 5?

Oh, I see what you're asking, I counted the fixed data bytes quoted here...

Ziuck wrote:
Dish Code:
Protocol ID: 00 02
Fixed Data 00 00 80 00 00

Ziuck

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Thanks that's what I needed to know. I am still fairly new to this and the readme does not explain that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: