JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New 2117 - Need help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fichmana2003

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:12 am    Post subject: New 2117 - Need help Reply with quote

I just got my new 2117. Put new batteries, works as expected. Connected JP1 cable, added some upgrades (which I prepared for my 8811), corrected layout and uploaded to remote. The display went black (all lcd segments lit), then blank. Tried using the upgrades and the remote hangs, can't even do a MFR Reset. Connected again, made a few U/D, tried the remote. It worked for a few keys with my CBL box, then hung. Right now the LCD is all lit, upload/download seem to work but the lcd stays all lit and remote doesn't respond. I tried removing one battery (reverse it) - nothing. I cannot do a hard reset since it doesn't respond. Removing batteries then pressing a key and inserting batts doesn't help - the remote comes on with lcd black and no response.
I guess the memory on the remote is screwed up, and that something isn't right with my interface (which works beautifuly with my 8811).

help?
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things to check:

1) Did you change the remote in KM or RM before copying them into IR?
2) Was the correct RDF selected in IR before adding the upgrades from RM or KM?

Check these and then we can try something else
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

His symptoms indicate a bigger problem than just KM settings issues or bad RDFs. Without being able to see the remote itself it's hard for me to guess what might be going on.

If it were me, I think I'd try purging the memory completely (using Advanced > Purge Memory > $800), then see if you can get enough response from the remote to do a hard reset. You could also try loading the IR image you saved before making any changes and see if that helps. If that fails, it sounds like you've managed to mess up something hardware related, in which case I don't know what to suggest.
fichmana2003

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to do that and got a MEM FAULT. Fiddling with the remote I managed to do a hard reset and load some upgrades. All seemed well and it worked for a while then suddenly locked up on its own. It did not respond to keys and removing/inserting a battery brought up the black lcd (all lit) again.
I seem to have a defective remote, which is a big frustration since we don't have those here and it was brought to me by a relative from the states.
Is there anything I can do?

Edit: btw, I used the latest RDFs (1.16) + RM 0.96a + IRBeta (latest)
I did change the remote to 2117 with all upgrades. I have one protocol upgrade - Thomson (4B)
fichmana2003

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just managed to do a hard reset on the remote. So far I am playing with all the keys, devices and setup and it doesn't lock up. Could it be that the protocol upgrade is the cause of the problem? I have two Thomson devices, CBL and VCR. To install it, I opened my 8811 CBL upgrade, changed the remote to 2117 and uploaded. It actually worked before freezing.

Edit: Scratch that, it just froze up on me. damn!

Edit2: Now this is bizzar. It freezes for a few seconds (up to 20-30, sometime less), doesn't respond, then suddenly works again. insane Sad
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fichmana2003 wrote:
Edit: Scratch that, it just froze up on me. damn!

Edit2: Now this is bizzar. It freezes for a few seconds (up to 20-30, sometime less), doesn't respond, then suddenly works again. insane Sad

When there is a problem in a protocol upgrade, the symptoms are very predictable. When press a button on a device that uses the protocol one of two things happens. 1) The remote locks up and the only way to unlock it is to remove the batteries. 2) The remote resets (this looks like what happens after an upload via IR. The remote is ready for use absolutely no more than 10 seconds after the upload finishes).

The bottom line is that it looks like the remote is defective. Since it is new, you should return it.

It looks like your remote is having trouble reading from the Eeprom. That would explain the sporadic long delays, etc. Why didn't you see this problem before, you ask? Well, if you're not using JP1, then the only time your remote will read the eeprom is when you first insert the batteries. It reads the setup codes assigned to each device and stores these in RAM.

UEI (the company that makes these remotes for RS) also designs their remotes so that if the eeprom is unavailable they will work exclusively from RAM. They do this so they can use the same chip in a remote with an EEPROM as in a remote without an EEPROM. This is why a 6011 & 8011 will use an EEPROM if one is added -- on the inside it is the same as an 8811 (which comes with an EEPROM) just in a different form factor.

In case you are wondering, it is possible to have a EEPROM that JP1 can read and write, but that the remote itself can't access.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: