JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pioneer DVD/MIX protocol

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: Pioneer DVD/MIX protocol Reply with quote

New topic split from:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1581

It is interesting. I tried loading this upgrade 2 different ways, with 2 different results.

Way 1:
1. Open original upgrade in RM. It shows PID 00 7E
2. Change remote to URC-8550 Topline.
3. Seems to work OK.

Way 2:
1. Open original upgrade in KM
2. Change remote to URC-8550/5550 Topline, this causes the PID to change to 01 7E, why?
3. Save
4. Open new upgrade in RM, RM doesn't know PID 01 7E.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some complicated handling of the protocol id for the various versions of the 007E protocol. If the upgrade can use the built in protocol, the 007E id is used, but if the protocol needs to be added a different id is used so as not to interfere with the built in protocol.

For example, someone might need to use the Pioneer MIX protocol to control their TV and they might want to use the Pioneer DVD protocol for their DVD player.

Now, let's say the version of 7E that's installed is the DVD version, the DVD upgrade would use the built in protocol. Now, if the MIX protocol was added as 7E it would cause the DVD upgrade to no longer work.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I understand the idea, but...

According to the 8550/5550 RDF, there is no built-in 007E in the 8550/5550. If I read the p-official sheet in KM correctly, it agrees with the RDF. So I still don't see why the PID was changed.

Or is just because it is an "official" protocol, and since it isn't bulltin, there MIGHT be another version of 007E (even though there isn't in this case)?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KM just says " if I have to add the protocol, I'll change the ID", it doesn't change that logic just because the remote in question doesn't have any version of 7E installed. After all, if it were to leave the ID as 7E for (let's say) the DVD version, what would it do when the same user wants to add the Pioneer MIX protocol? KM wouldn't be able to link to IR and see that there's a conflicting 7E protocol installed.

Last edited by The Robman on Tue May 11, 2004 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just trying to figure out how KM decides when to change the PID and what to change it to. Or is it just that every protocol is assigned a "replacement" PID for use when it has to be loaded as an upgrade? And the replacement PID usually has the same value as the "actual" PID, but not always.

Man, there's so many of these hidden little features in KM that I feel like I'm never going to get RM up to basic KM level, let alone keep up with the new releases.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gfb107 wrote:
I'm just trying to figure out how KM decides when to change the PID and what to change it to.

This really only applies to the Pionner 7E protocol. The problem comes from the fact that there's different versions of it in different remotes. When KM determines that the version of 7E that's required for the upgrade is built-in to the remote, it uses the "replacement" PID (00 7E). When the upgrade requires one of the other variants, it uses the "forced" PID. As Rob said, that prevents the built-in p-code from being disabled by having an upgrade protocol of the same PID installed for those users that MAY need both versions.

Quote:
Man, there's so many of these hidden little features in KM that I feel like I'm never going to get RM up to basic KM level, let alone keep up with the new releases.

And everyone thinks KM is "just a spreadsheet"! Shocked
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This logic was originally added for the various versions of the Pioneer 7E executor, but it is available to be re-used for any other executors where their function changes.

For the Pioneer one, if the DVD version is selected and a protocol upgrade is required, $017E is used. If the MIX version is selected and an upgrade is required, $017F is used.

KM handles the MIX and DVD versions of this executor as two totally different protocols. When we decode a new remote that has this protocol installed, we have to determine which version it is, so we can tell KM which it has. So maybe RM needs to do something similar.

The other executor that tis logic is used for is the Panasonic 1F protocol. If the Panasonic MIX Combo version is selected and an upgrade is required, $011F is used.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: