JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RCA RCRP05B Null Signature

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fuzzlet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: RCA RCRP05B Null Signature Reply with quote

Jp1xtest reports the following:

Code:
jp1xtest version 0.00

*** FOUND A JP1.2/3 COMPATIBLE REMOTE ON ! ***
Signature is (null)
Memory address is $0000
Memory size is $0000 (0)

Can't get RMIR to download from the device. Is my remote fried?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what that means, but I doubt that it is caused by the remote, because even the COM port isn't identified.
Code:
*** FOUND A JP1.2/3 COMPATIBLE REMOTE ON ! ***
should read
Code:
*** FOUND A JP1.2/3 COMPATIBLE REMOTE ON COM3! ***  (or some other COM number)

Also, try downloading with RMIR, and upload the rmaster.err file (in the same directory as Remotemaster.jar) to the Diagnosis Area.

What interface cable are you using? What OS? Has this setup worked in the past? Any reason to think the remote has been fried?
Fuzzlet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I can't believe I didn't post more information then that. That's what you get for staying up too late working on things.

Anyways, the interface cable is an FTDI serial->USB adapter. This is my first foray into JP1 remotes. It is wired as follows:

Code:
FTDI----------Remote
TXD----------->Pin4
GND----------->Pin3
RXD----------->Pin6
DTR----------->Pin2

(Determined from Tommy Tyler's "FT230X Interface.pdf")

My interface unfortunately doesn't have an RTS line available, but I believe read somewhere that DTR can be used as well. I have tried on windows 7 (using built in drivers for FTDI) and WinXP (downloaded latest drivers from ftdi website). The result is the same. The interface appears correctly as com port (4).

Another note, at first I was unable to get jp1xtest to even see the remote. (No JP1.2/3 Remote found etc) I then copied the latest jp12serial.dll from RMIR into the jp1xtest folder (renamed to jp1xserial.dll) and then was able to get Null signature result. Also, I was able to get the following output from RealTerm

31793179 is the proper signature but I'm not sure why there is the Nul char in there as well.

Rmaster.err file has been uploaded at http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=11693

Last edited by Fuzzlet on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Fuzzlet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, also when doing the test, I can see the remote Blink twice at the end. I believe this is signaling the remote being taken out of comm mode?
Thomas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my notes, you need to connect RTS to remote pin 2
and disconnect DTR.

For some remotes, you need to remove the connection to pin 5 entirely, at the pin. Any wire seems to act as an antenna and pick up unwanted signals.

Tom
Fuzzlet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry just realised I had a typo in my pinout. I have DTR connected to Pin 2 of remote. Nothing connected to pin 5.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP12Serial.dll tries 4 different way to get the remote to respond, because JP1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 remotes have different ways of establishing a connection. Also, there have been more than one interface design. The DLL does pulse the DTR line while trying one of the 4 ways, and that may be just enough to get a reaction. Of course, you can use Realterm by directly manipulating the DTR line yourself.

As you have seen, full communication with JP1.3 remotes requires the RTS line be connected to pin 2. Are you sure that your cable can't be setup to provide a RTS signal? Also, your interface needs to be able to send a Break signal-- I think any FTDI device can do that.

If not, and you're comfortable working with C, you could try compiling a special version of JP12Serial that pulses DTR instead of RTS, but there is some risk in that. You could work off the V 0.18 source. It is quite a bit simpler than the 0.19 source, which supports JP1.4 and JP2 remotes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: