JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Question about multiple device codes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nos402

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Question about multiple device codes Reply with quote

I have a sony remote that controls my receivere and CD player. I programmed my URC-6131 to have the Receiver and CD functions of the remote by learning some of the buttons with an 8810w and then looking at the codes. Since the CD commands used device 17 and the receiver used device 16, I put those device codes in the "device 2" and "device 1" fields in KM. When I learned the few buttons I hadn't got working yet, I found they were device 13 (for commands such as tuner channel preset up/down). Does this mean there is simply no way to incorporate them into my upgrade device since I'm already using 2 devices? I guess my master sony remote technically has three device codes in it; receiver/cd/tuner?

Thanks for everyone's help! I finally got my 6131 pretty much totally setup exactly how I wanted it!
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's just two devices, create a new device code with device=13. Don't assign it to a device button. Then do keymoves from it to CH+/Ch- (or wherever you want the tuner commands).

You could also use the device combiner, but unless there are a lot of commands with device=13, I don't think it would be worth the effort.
Nos402

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Specifically I was wondering if there was a way to use commands from 3 different device codes all in one device upgrade in the KM spreadsheet. At least if I can't, then your workaround will work!
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nos402 wrote:
Thanks! Specifically I was wondering if there was a way to use commands from 3 different device codes all in one device upgrade in the KM spreadsheet. At least if I can't, then your workaround will work!

You can, but you have to create two separate upgrades, copy down the protocol ids & fxied data, then enter that information into the device combiner and then enter all of button codes. That's a vast oversimplification, but it should give you an idea of what's involved.

If you mean, is there a Sony protocol that has device1, device2, and device3 boxes in KM, no.

You can read up on the device combiner by looking through the posts in the Software forum.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason(gjarboni), I agree with your answer but there is also a built in two-byte Sony combo protocol ($0027). The second byte represents the device the first the OBC (you have to reverse the bits and convert to hex).

I think the protocol is in both of Nos402's remotes and a built in setup code AUD_1058 that uses protocol $0027 that should already have many needed commands.

So, Nos402, I still think a key move (2-bytes in this case) is still easier (and probably takes up less total memory) than using the devce combiner or even trying to do it all in one device upgrade using $0027.

Also not all keys can be assigned in a device upgrade and you may not want some to be assigned as physical keys for a variety of reasons. Both of these cases require key moves.
Nos402

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 1058 code was what I started with, but wasn't happy with due to the keys it was missing. I ended up jsut programming my own upgrade.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're falling into the same trap that I fell into doing my DishPVR 721 a couple of weeks ago.

Here's what you have to do:

1: build an upgrade for each of the separate devices, validate that they work. In the KM spreadsheet, you'll see a cell labeled Fixed Data and protocol ID for each one. Write those down, you'll need them. On yours, if only the device changed the protocol will be the same.

2: start a new upgrade and select "device combiner" as the protocol. You'll then see an area below for the protocol ID and the fixed data. Fill both of these in. The third column gives you a number you'll need in a minute (0, 1, 2, etc depending on how many you have)

3: when you fill in all of the functions, you must use EFC's and you must fill in the column labeled Byte 2. In the Byte2 field you use the numbers for the protocol/fixed for the device that you need. For example, if your PIP button used the second prococol/fixed you'd use 1, if it used the first, you'd use 0.

4: go to IR, cut and past both the upgrade and the protocol since you need both to make it work.

hope that helps. The combiner instructions aren't all that clear in this area. If you want to see some more about this, look in the DishPVR 721 thread from about two weeks ago. (that's where I learned all of this stuff)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: