JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RCR RCRP05B extender bug with DKP?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dailyglen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: RCR RCRP05B extender bug with DKP? Reply with quote

Hi,

I have setup my left and right keys so that on a DKP they do skip_back and skip_fwd. But sometimes on a single key press the remote sends skip_fwd and continues to send skip_fwd until another key is pressed. I've also noticed that after pressing left and quickly pressing right it seems to send a skip_fwd. I'm using the following setup:

Quote:
CBL: Cable: Setup Code = 1272
CBL: Left DKP(2): [Single]:Shift-Left [Double]:Skip_Back
CBL: Right DKP(2): [Single]:Shift-Right [Double]:Skip_Fwd

I have no other keymoves on those keys or the shifted keys.

My goal is to be able to use the arrow keys as normal (quick press sends 1 signal, hold down sends a repeated signal) but a DKP sends a skip command.

Can someone try an experiment to see if my remote is faulty or it is a bug in the extender? Mash away at the left and right keys trying different combinations of single, hold, and DKP to see if you get the expected results. I think there is similar bug with LKP. I'm using extender v1.05. Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks!
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its pretty hard to experiment/diagnose problems when we don't have an IR or RMIR file to work with.

What I see from what you posted you are working with CBL/1272 which is a code that uses the MCE protocol. The MCE protocol has a toggling protocol. Each time you press the button on the remote, the toggle is supposed to change, telling your equipment that this is another press. On a Universal remote, the toggling bit can get out of synch because the remote uses the toggling bit for all the protocols, and this can result in some of the buttons needing to be pressed 2x to work. I rely heavily on macros, and so now I research my equipment and avoid toggling protocols because they don't play well with my universal remotes.

So my guess is that you are bumping into toggling issues. But that is only a guess.
dailyglen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I posted my .rmir file here:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=10873

I tried it again and it is pretty easy to get the remote doing weird things. Please take a look.

Thanks.
dailyglen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Instead of using mce I also tried using CBL/1376 and I still get issues. Here's my file:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=10874

To reproduce:
1) Press and hold right for 5 seconds
2) Let go and immediately double click right twice (to get DKP)
3) Wait 1 second and click right every second

If the weird behaviour appears you will see that in step 3 you get skip_fwds instead of rights.

Thanks.
dailyglen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dailyglen wrote:
Hi,

Instead of using mce I also tried using CBL/1376 and I still get issues. Here's my file:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=10874

To reproduce:
1) Press and hold right for 5 seconds
2) Let go and immediately double click right twice (to get DKP)
3) Wait 1 second and click right every second

If the weird behaviour appears you will see that in step 3 you get skip_fwds instead of rights.

Thanks.

Hi, can anyone repeat this problem? I tried using LKP and DKP again and they don't work reliably because they get triggered with the wrong key presses. I tried using CBL: Left DKP(2): [Single]:XShift-Pause [Double]:Shift-Pause where XShift-Pause is undefined (so cloaks to Pause), while Shift-Pause is assigned the command for "slow motion." If I DKP and single key press the commands get incorrectly triggered.

Can anyone report if this or other extenders have this issue?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dailyglen wrote:

Hi, can anyone repeat this problem? I tried using LKP and DKP again and they don't work reliably because they get triggered with the wrong key presses. I tried using CBL: Left DKP(2): [Single]:XShift-Pause [Double]:Shift-Pause where XShift-Pause is undefined (so cloaks to Pause), while Shift-Pause is assigned the command for "slow motion." If I DKP and single key press the commands get incorrectly triggered.

Can anyone report if this or other extenders have this issue?

I don't think there is such a thing as xshift cloaking. This would be especially true for remotes that have key codes greater than 40h The base remote only undoes, the shift bit, in a key search. Thinking unclemiltie might have added xshift-cloaking at the request of the users I checked the readme.

RCA Readme wrote:
The shift only affects the lookup of the key as a KeyMove or Macro. If no KeyMove or Macro is found for a shifted key, the remote then checks whether the unshifted version of the key is defined by the setup code.

So I don't think its an extender bug since I don't think xshift cloaking was ever intended.
dailyglen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for suggestions Vicky. I tried to undefine shift and use x-shift as the alternate function and it did not help. I also tried to not use x-shift and specify a different unshifted key but that did not help (eg [Single]:Shift-Stop (undef) [Double]: Pause).

The reason I originally used x-shift as the undefined cloaker is that it is easier to access 'shift' manually with the remote to test an alternate key. It seemed intuitive to define my alternate function on the shift key and then use x-shift to cloak. x-shift cloaking to un-shifted seems to work the same as shift cloaking.

One bug I noticed with RMIR is that on the Special Functions tab the key column would display a different value than if you double click on the Key to edit it. For example, they key displayed may be "Pause" but when you double-click to edit they key the small Key Chooser dialog appears and it has "X-shift" selected... or both x-shift and shift selected. This also happens on the Key Moves tab.

Using the RCRP05B it would be really nice to use DKP or LKP for adding eject to the stop button (DKP), and subtitles to the mute (DKP) button.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been away but I think that cloaking will work on shifted and xshifted keys. I'm going to have to go look at the code for sure.

The extender first looks at the key to see if it finds it in the advance code library (i.e. key move, special, macro, etc). Any shifted or Xshifted key is ALWAYS an advance code since only those keys that are in the remote's built-in key lists are defined as "normal" keys. If the key is not found in the advance code list the extender masks off the shift and xshift bits and then tells the remote to process the key as if it were a normal key press. (i.e. cloaking)

Now back to the original post:

The extender processes everything as if it were a macro. Every key is pushed onto the macro buffer and then is executed. This is how things like nested macros get done so a macro that invokes a macro can just push more commands onto the stack while the remaining commands in the macro can be processed. Even a single key press is pushed onto the stack and then processed as a 1-key macro (this makes the code much more efficient and smaller)

So, when a DKP fires properly the commands that are inside of that single or double side of the DKP will be pushed onto the stack and then executed one by one. Since I've seen no issues with DKP processing (other than the 3-byte limitation that has been discovered and documented elsewhere) I would suggest that something is going wrong either in the key definition or the DKP definition.

What I would suggest you do is define the keys in the DKP as real physical keys (i.e. use the the left key to be one function and right to be the other) Make sure that those work properly by pushing those physical key and then make sure that the DKP works. Only then would you push them into key moves for Shift-x and XShift-x and test again.

Unfortunately, I really don't have time these days to look at this stuff. I try to hang out here and answer questions but I haven't looked this code since about February. (when I started building the combined-source JP1.3 extender)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: