JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

8910 Extender 1 ReadMe - new document offered!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickety

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: 8910 Extender 1 ReadMe - new document offered! Reply with quote

I have greatly appreciated the help and advice that has been offered on this forum. In particular I appreciate the efforts of the Extender author. As with an earlier extended 15-1994 the capabilities introduced by this extender make an inexpensive remote control have the capabilities (or more) of high end programmable remotes.

In an attempt to offer something in return I have re-written the ReadMe file trying to clarify things that confused me. In addition I have updated the special protocols sections to describe their use in the environment where IR provides its Special Protocols tabs

You are welcome to provide comments. I am not able to provide instant responses as I am often travelling on business (which severely impacts my ability to mess with my remote controls Sad ) but will try to get to your comments when I can.

Proposed Read Me
davecs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really nicely laid out compared to the original document, if you can add a section on the "Special Protocols" tab which explain how to use ToadTog, etc, without getting too technical, that would be nice.
rickety

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will investigate TOADTog and see what I can do. I had not used it myself as I haad found some discretes or discrete equivalents for all except my Satellite receiver.

Maybe I should try to build a TOADTog for that and see what I can do!
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I will investigate TOADTog and see what I can do. I had not used it myself as I had found some discretes or discrete equivalents for all except my Satellite receiver.

Toadtog is a really nice protocol for tracking the status of your equipment or the status of your remote if you must use discretes. I like things that just toggle, since I have a remote at every seating area.

However, there is one function that I can't toggle, I must use discretes. That's my muting macro. My muting macro toggles the mute on the TV,digs through the menu and turns on Closed caption, but the stereo may also be on and it doesn't have a mute button (I know I should get new equipment), so for stereo I change the input to phono using a discrete. So when I press the mute again, it needs to switch the reciever input back to satelite.

I think of the toad tog as an if/else statement.
rickety

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting the different approaches that are used!

I use an "all on" macro to start TV, Amp/Switch, Satellite receiver. It sets the Sat as the source for the Amp/Switch and sets the TV to the Amp/Switch connectoin. I also have a long press on the same button to do "all off".

Of these devices, only the Sat does not have discretes. So sometimes if the Sat has not turned off (missed the message) it might get overlooked. Next time the "all on" is pressed, there is no Sat signal. The family is instructed to do the "all on" again and all is well.

I have not bothered so far with TOADTog because I figured if the device can miss a signal (and I am sure it is always possible) then the TOADTog is also "out of synch" and so I would not really be any better off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: