JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Discrete on/off codes for a Magnavox H2080MW8 DVR?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon Carlson

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Discrete on/off codes for a Magnavox H2080MW8 DVR? Reply with quote

I suspect I'm looking for something my Magnavox DVR doesn't support, but has anyone found discrete on/off codes for a Magnavox H2080MW8 DVR? I'm pretty much a newbie, so be gentle.

I've had this Magnavox DVR for a few weeks now, replacing a VCR, and it does everything I could have hoped for.

The factory remote is as bad as everyone says, but my wife and I use our old, reliable JP1-compatible One-For-All 8910s. I searched for the code I needed to access the Magnavox DVR (675), 'learned' several of the keys which didn't appear automatically, saved it to my PC, then uploaded the configuration to my other remote. They work like a champ. And my macros set up everything correctly, except I can't find how to do a discrete on or off, probably because the Magnavox DVR doesn't support those codes. I'm reduced to manually pressing the POWER button to turn it on or off (on-to-off, off-to-on, essentially a toggle), but haven't found a way to tell it "If you're already on, stay on, otherwise turn yourself on". I currently have macros in the remote which do discrete power on's or off's for all my other equipment (sony TV, yamaha receiver, panasonic VCR), where if I want to watch TV I just press one button which sends commands to:

Turn the TV ON (these are device-ON commands, not a toggle)
Turn the RECEIVER ON
Turn the VCR ON
Set the TV input to video 1 (for the video output from the receiver)
Set the receiver input to VCR-1
VCR (leaves the remote in VCR mode so the channel buttons tune thru the VCR)

As ridiculous as it sounds, my wife and I each use separate OFA 8910's so we can independently adjust the volume, pause, start, fast forward, power everything off (via a macro), etc., so this would rule out having logic in the remote itself to determine whether it was last turned on or off (I think this is called TOAD programming, but I've never used that, just discrete codes).

Any help would be appreciated. Other information is listed below if it helps. Again, I suspect that the DVR doesn't support discrete on/off codes, but thought I'd ask the experts here before I totally gave up.

Thanks.

Jon

Code:
1. Device: Magnavox DVR
2. Type of device: Magnavox H2080WM8 DVR
3. Year: 2008
4. JP1/UEI Remote model: One-For-All 8910
5. Do you have a JP1 cable? Yes
6. Still have original remote? Yes
7. Checked the file section? Yes
8. Checked Pronto file section (at R/C)? Yes
9. Partially working setup code? Yes, DVD/code 675
10. Learning remote question? n/a
Evan_s

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked the play or menu or other commands when the unit is off? Sometimes these will function as a discrete on.
Jon Carlson

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Thanks for the suggestion Reply with quote

Thanks, I hadn't thought of seeing if other keys will turn it on. I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

EDIT: I tried all the keys on the factory remote, and two of them turn the unit on - PLAY (starts playing a recorded program) and OPEN/CLOSE. Not as good as a discrete on/off, but I may be able to incorporate those somehow. Thanks for the suggestion.

Jon
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With that knowledge, you can create 2 macros as your "Discrete functions":
Play-Stop=Discrete ON
Play-Power=Discrete OFF

Of course, you will have the possible annoyance that whenever you are powering down your system and the DVR is already OFF that it will cycle ON and OFF. It depends on you whether you believe this to be detrimental.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
Jon Carlson

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Thanks, that should do it Reply with quote

That should be enough for me to do what I asked. I'll have to decide if its worth powering up the unit to insure its OFF in a macro. Or just get my wife used to manually powering it off when she's done watching it.

She doesn't know it, but she's been spoiled with macros all these years.

Thanks for all your help. And if I ever uncover a true discrete code for on/off I'll post it here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: