JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Remote controlled thermostat(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> X10 and Home Automation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nemo1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Remote controlled thermostat(s) Reply with quote

Hi - I'm trying to control my thermostat so I can turn the heat up before I get to the house. I know there are a few products on the market that can do this. The problem is that my system uses a unique type of themostat, so I've come up with two ideas to make this work. They're a bit Rube Goldberg, so bear with me.
1. I could turn the dial with a servo. I've already, with the gracious help of Rob and binky, set up a pan and tilt head remotely via slingbox (see thread in protocol decodes for details). I could attach this to the dial on the thermostat and turn it that way. Too bulky and unsightly, unless I built something custom.
2. A simpler method would be to buy another thermostat and switch between the two - one set high and the other set low. I would need a double pole - double throw switch that could be controlled via IR and slingbox. Any suggestions on what I could use to do this? Thanks.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to buy a programmable thermostat? The system can't be that unique that a standard off-the-shelf unit couldn't be used, could it?
nemo1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yes and no. The system is hydronic - radiant heat. The thermostat has a feature called pulse modulation, where the on times vary according to the difference between actual temperature and setpoint (target). As radiant systems are slow responding, the on time gets shorter the closer it gets to the target temperature. This is to prevent overshooting the target. If I didn't care about this feature I could get a cheap digital thermostat with a timer, or better yet one that's remote controlled - smarthome has one, although it's expensive. I think the simple remote switching between two thermostats would be cheap and easy and preserve the pulse feature.
classicsat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find someone to make an embedded controller system, which will be a custom thermostat that will both operate the heatings system as desired, and be controllable the way you want. Or search harder for one ready made, or concede you will have to spend a bit.
nemo1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok - Please allow me to make this simple. What I need is a double pole-double throw switch that I can operate remotely. Any suggestions?
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it is still available, but Radio Shack used to have an IR remote-controlled antenna switch. If you obtained something like this, removed the coax relay, and substituted a DPDT relay of your own, it might work for your purposes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> X10 and Home Automation All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: