JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RemoteChart V24
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeajea

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that the 1056B03 remote chart entry shows five devices. It
actual has a total of eight usable internal device slots but only five
physical device buttons. I am currently using all 8.
Also, functions on assigned to shifted buttons only work in macros. Using the
setup button as a shift key doesn’t work for this remote

The entry for the Insignia 67100 shows 6 devices. It actual has a total of eight usable internal device slots but only four physical device buttons.
jim_henry_esq
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:28 pm    Post subject: Remote chart in Wiki now sortable Reply with quote

I made some minor changes to the Wiki markup to enable sortable tables as was originally intended.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jim.
jim_henry_esq
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking we should start a third table on the Remote Chart page. Same format as the current top chart for currently available remotes, meaning available from mainstream retailers. Regrettably I think this will be a pretty short list.

Alternatively, we could add a column for currently available. With sorting it is easy to bring the currently available remotes to the top.

Thoughts?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, if you're willing to do it, go for it. Just be sure to add a date somewhere indicating these remotes were available as of that date, so if it doesn't get updated for a while, folks will understand that the info is stale.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jim_henry_esq wrote:
Alternatively, we could add a column for currently available.

Please could you indicate which continent they are currently available in. North America, Europe and Latin America have distinct populations of UEI remotes. The list also says, apparently correctly, that it is not being currently maintained. A quick check showed me that several recent (past several years) remotes are not listed, so unless the list is updated, I suspect the column for currently available ones would be empty.
dtrump

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good project, Jim. I had captured the table into Excel for that same need.

I would note that neither the URC-3660/3661 and URC-3680 nor their Insignia equivalents are on the chart and are probably among the more desirable currently available low priced JP1.x remotes. I had planned on picking up a Best Buy equivalent to the 3680 at the $19.99 price but wasn't quick enough. It has gone back to $39.99. What appears to be a 5 device 2 activity equivalent of the 3660 is currently at $19.99.

I ended up ordering the Walmart onn. 3660 equivalent, currently $14.34 online.
jim_henry_esq
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have added an updated spreadsheet to the files section that I used to generate the Wiki Remote Chart. I did some minor clean up to the chart but made no substantive changes. I am now in a position to update and modify the chart.

My next planned step is to compare the chart to what is supported in RMIR and try to make the chart track what is happening in RMIR.

Now is a good time to post any needed changes that you have become aware of.
jim_henry_esq
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rightmost column is Region, which lists US/Europe/Lat Am. Let me know if there are errors in this column that I should work on.
jim_henry_esq
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started my attempt at reconciling the current Wiki RemoteChart with the RDFs that come with a standard installation of RMIR. As expected there are quite a few remotes that have RDFs but are not listed in RemoteChart.

What caught me off guard were some entries in RemoteChart for which I don't find RDFs in my RMIR installation.

As one example, RemoteChart has an entry for the URC-8305 OFA 5 Kameleon 3rd Generation European version with a signature of 11221122. I don't seem to have an RDF for this remote. Is there something obvious I am not seeing about this remote?
jim_henry_esq
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As best I can tell the URC-8305 OFA 5 Kameleon 3rd Generation European version with a signature of 11221122 is a remote that a few people asked for help with and for which an incomplete RDF is archived. I guess one of the past RemoteChart maintainers was diligent enough to capture such remotes so that there was a record that they are JP1 capable even if our support for them is not in place.

My inclination is not to pursue investigations of remotes listed in RemoteChart where I can't find the RDF in the RMIR installation.

I do feel like I want to prune the "Popular and Current remotes" chart and move a lot of the remotes currently listed there to the "Original Chart, including older remotes", which I might rename "Older and less common remotes".

Does anyone have any thoughts about how to identify remotes to be pruned from "Popular and Current remotes"?

Should everything currently in "Popular and Current remotes" be transferred to "Older and less common remotes"?

Should "Popular and Current remotes" be populated with remotes that are not currently listed and for which there is an RDF?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good questions, I think one obvious break could be between all the EEPROM based remotes, which have been extinct for quite a while (even though I still use one), and the flash based remotes. And even the older JP1.1 and JP1.2 flash remotes could be moved to the older list. The current list need only include JP1.3 and JP2 remotes. As for which of those are really current and which are not, I have no idea. Even the idea of a "current" remote is questionable today with no few JP1 remotes actually available on the market.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jim_henry_esq wrote:
I do feel like I want to prune the "Popular and Current remotes" chart and move a lot of the remotes currently listed there to the "Original Chart, including older remotes", which I might rename "Older and less common remotes".

Does anyone have any thoughts about how to identify remotes to be pruned from "Popular and Current remotes"?

Should everything currently in "Popular and Current remotes" be transferred to "Older and less common remotes"?

Should "Popular and Current remotes" be populated with remotes that are not currently listed and for which there is an RDF?
I created "Popular and Current" way back when with the intent of listing remotes you could still find in stores or on ebay at least. So I agree it can be pruned down to the stump of the dozen or so we know of including the few One For All models, Inteset and ONN available today as a sort of buyer's guide for newbies.

I don't remember exactly, but I think the way I managed the list was using the excel file as the master and then pasting/importing into the wiki page. If I were doing it today, I'd still use the excel master and add a column for "current" and filter by that for the "current" list.

Thanks Jim for taking on this task.

EDIT: I just downloaded the excel. Looks like I haven't really touched it in about 8 years! But as you can see, it has two sheets formatted for the wiki with instructions at the bottom of the New sheet on how to import into the wiki. If you could also fill in the revision notes on that sheet, that would be helpful. Looks like the filter idea above doesn't really fit the format after all.
Lurker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think "still find in stores or on ebay at least" is a good criteria for "current" remotes. I would include discontinued models that are still available in new condition (such as ATLAS). Leave out used-only models.

Thanks Jim for updating the chart. It will be a big improvement to have a small table of remotes that really are available today. The current chart has at least 90% unavailable remotes.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, at the risk of looking a gift horse in the mouth, was it your intention to put the every remote in history in the popular and current chart? If so, I vote to delete it and stick with the original.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: