JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Choosing a "device" in Keymaster

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nos402

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Choosing a "device" in Keymaster Reply with quote

I made a new device upgrade in Keymaster today and I noticed that when using the "TV" device, there are many more keys which are bound as key moves than when using the "VCR" device. So isn't it just better to create the device as a "VCR" upgrade so that you can bind more keys without using up keymove memory?

I currently have my TV remote replicated using a "VCR upgrade so that I could bind more keys to the TV functions without eating up extra memory with key moves. Is there any reason not to do this?
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In truth, the answer to your question is yes, you can. The remote really doesn't care if you put a VCR device on the TV button so if your TV needs the buttons that are typically used by a VCR, so be it.

The upgrades could be marginally smaller because the list of keys is smaller, but it's only a couple of bytes which can easily be used up if you have even more than one keymove.

-bill
Nos402

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found one small weird quirk. If I take my TV upgrade, switch the device to "VCR" then upload to the remote, my master volume lock no longer works for the new device. If I switch it back to TV, then all is well again.
Evan_s

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I beleive some remotes will ignore the VPT if the device type is changed from the default for that device type. Depending on what remote you have and how much keymove memory you have it may just be simpler to leave the device as a tv device.

It does vary from remote to remote but the different device types have different keys they expect to be in the upgrade. For example a tv type device wouldn't typically need FF, Rew and the other transport keys so they aren't included in any way in the base device upgrade for a TV device. It's possible to add a keymove to almost any key so thats how KM and RM work around these limitations. Some keys, like shifted keys, always have to be key moves.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are describing a common trade-off one must consider when making upgrades.

In very many cases (as in yours) Volume Punch-Through (VPT) "breaks" when the device type does not match the "natural" device type for a device button. So to achieve the desired VPT, you would have to make three keymoves (Vol+, Vol- and Mute).

Only you can determine if those keymoves are more efficient than sticking with the "natural" device type in your upgrade (and potentially requiring a few different keymoves).

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: