JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Problem with new JP1 USB cable
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Septimus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:03 am    Post subject: Problem with new JP1 USB cable Reply with quote

I just got the wire from DIY Gadget. I installed the driver and set IR.exe for the JP1 USB interface. When I try to check the interface or download from the remote, I get 2 different messages (not at the same time, on one try I'll get one message, and then a few tries later I'll get another, even though I've changed nothing):

"SDA is being held low. Make sure batteries are installed in the remote."
or
"Unable to open device. Please check connection."

Anyone know what I have to do? I'm on XP Home Edition SP2 with all the recent updates.

Thanks.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which remote?
Are you connecting directly to a working USB port on PC (rather than via a hub as they can cause problems)?
heffe2001

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting much the same, BUT if I pull the USB plug, and plug it back in, and THEN hit the read/write buttons, it'll work just fine. After it's been plugged into the system for 10-15 seconds, it's a no go. Just a hassle to have to pull and replug, but it works...

(This is on Vista, not sure about XP, haven't plugged it into a machine with it on it yet, I also have to run IR as an administrator since my desktop still has UAC turned on).
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried flipping the plug the other way around?
heffe2001

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know for my problem, it programs fine, just has to be reset between every operation, not sure about the OP (so the cable obviously is on correctly).
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this sounds like a driver problem. When I first got one of my cables, I had to reboot between every upload. It turned out I had a bad version of the driver.
alphaneko

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Same problem Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem with the usb cable from DIY Gadget, using a URC8910 and the drivers that came from the site, delcom 3.1.0.0. I tried this with ir 5 and 7 in vista. Ir.exe apparently needs to run in xp compatability mode to start.
Anyone have any ideas?
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current version of the Delcom driver is something like 4.2.x and it's necessary for proper operation on Vista. (especially on core2Duo processors)

That said, Tommy's new interfaces are much better and use a more modern USB chip. I recommend them.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of yesterday, Delcom version is 4.6 supposedly ok for Vista.

I started a thread in Beginners about being unable to use Delcom drivers on XP-home-SP2. Can someone with XP experience help please? Driver things baffle me.
No, not using a hub, yes, I have admin rights. Yes, I use when the laptop is on real AC power, not battery, if it matters.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
As of yesterday, Delcom version is 4.6 supposedly ok for Vista

I tried this version when it was released a couple of months ago with no success. Has something changed?
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea. As you see I'm fishing. I mentioned the version because Bill wrote about 4.2.
Delcom release history
http://www.delcom-eng.com/downloads/release.txt

I don't use Vista, so don't need that version, and Tommy does suggest using v3.1 for XP computers.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I understand.

You may want to give Nil's version a try. I've had the best luck with this version on both XP and Vista. Make sure the old one is completely gone before trying this one. I've found sometimes it takes a couple of uninstalls/reinstalls for it to start working.

Last edited by mdavej on Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:09 am; edited 1 time in total
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej - yeah, that's the same file, Nils is mentioned there. Version s 3.1.0.0 - not the same as your zip file name, but the same .INF file etc.
I wish Delcom would make it work and certify with M$. I remember when Nils was working on it. No, no luck here yet.

I made a mistake double posting. So I don't want to post in this thread anymore. The other one is here
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9669
alanrichey
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="mdavej"]
ElizabethD wrote:
As of yesterday, Delcom version is 4.6 supposedly ok for Vista

I cannot get this driver to work at all. I have a JP1 USB Cable from DIYGadget and it works perfectly on my wife's Win XP SP2 machine. so I know the cable is fine.

But if I try and use it on my Vista machine the driver seems to install without any problem, and shows up in Device Manager as 'working correctly'. But if I start IR.EXE the Interface is showing as JP1.x (the default) and the JP1 USB interface selection is greyed out. And if I try the 'Driver Status' option it reports 'USB Error : Unable to find Delcom Device Driver'. So IR.EXE is not seeing the cable.

What am I missing ?

Thanks

Al
binky123
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IR.exe queries the Windows registry for LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Delcom\USBIODS\Parameters and if it exists then it looks for DeviceName within the above entry. Your error msg indicates that it can't find the Delcom\USBIOSDS\Parameters registry entry. Perhaps, manually creating it and the DeviceName entry would make it work?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: