JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Philips LCD TV Discrete Inputs - Explanation Please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stangbat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Philips LCD TV Discrete Inputs - Explanation Please Reply with quote

I spent quite a while looking for discrete input codes for my Philips 42pfl7422d_37 LCD TV using an 8910. I finally had some success, but I don't completely understand why. So maybe someone can help explain.

After much searching, reading, and experimenting, the 8910 is set up to my satisfaction. I've created four device files using existing KM files and learned codes, and set up several key moves and some macros. I've read everything on the Beginner's page so if I'm missing something I'd also appreciate knowing what it is.

I finally succeeded by using information from xnappo's RM file for the 47PFL7432D. Within this file, I used the codes from "Philips 47PFL7432D LCT TV multi-byte key moves.mdu". In this file xnappo states:
Quote:
This TV is interesting. It has a fairly full set of RC-6 based command and a fairly full set of RC-5 based commands. Unfortunately neither set is complete.

The remote that comes with the TV uses RC-6 - and I chose to use these codes as the basis for this upgrade. The main thing missing from the RC-6 commands are the discrete commands.

This version of the upgrade is for remotes that support multi-byte key moves. I added these using the RC-5/5a combo protocol (that) used (to) be RCVR device 1089. This seemed to make sense to do since those functions are appropriate for key moves anyway.

I use KM, not RM, so I moved things over and this is what my key moves looks like in IR:

Code:

Remote= URC 8910 B02

11   TV   L1   <N/A>   RCVR   1089   $1C $EC   59945   
12   TV   L2   <N/A>   RCVR   1089   $1F $18   62173   
13   TV   L3   <N/A>   RCVR   1089   $1C $1C   60121   
14   TV   L4   <N/A>   RCVR   1089   $1C $14   60113

How did using no device button, and setting the bound device type RCVR 1089 make it possible to enter RC-5/5a codes? I guess I don't understand how making this change effected the protocol for the hex codes used, and allowed them to be used in the first place.

If there is any more info that I can post that will help, let me know.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keymoves do not REQUIRE that they call on a Setup code that is assigned to any device. They only have to call on a Setup COde that is PRESENT in the remote's memory.

I'm not looking at the individual files for individual RC-5 upgrades that were in that zip file, but...

The original guy who did this learned all of the functions. He identified that MOST were RC-6 functions and FEW were RC-5. He also identified - possibly using the Devices.xls spreadsheet (in the Files>Tools>Main folder) that the 8910 has a built-in Device Setup code (RCVR 1089) that used the same Protocol/Device/Subdevice parameters as the learned RC-5 signals.

So the Keymoves are based on a BUILT-IN Setup Code (RCVR 1089) which does not have to be assigned to a device button, but still can be used to tell the remote what Protocol/Device/Subdevice parameters to use when executing the assigned Keymoves. All you need to do is tell the remote what setup code to use and then provide the Hex - as you do in your keymoves.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
stangbat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes perfect sense, thanks. Now that you explain it, it seems simple enough that I should have been able to figure it out. Very Happy
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stangbat wrote:
That makes perfect sense, thanks. Now that you explain it, it seems simple enough that I should have been able to figure it out. Very Happy

Glad you got it working - sorry I didn't see your message myself. Thanks for answering Capn. For remotes without the handy combo protocol/multi-byte key moves, the other version in the zip uses some dummy upgrades to accomplish the same thing.

It did take quite a while to get that all sorted out - so I am glad someone is making use of it.

My typos didn't help:
'I added these using the RC-5/5a combo protocol (that) used (to) be RCVR device 1089.'

should be:

'I added these using the RC-5/5a combo protocol available in RCVR device 1089.'

xnappo
stangbat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xnappo wrote:

Glad you got it working - sorry I didn't see your message myself. Thanks for answering Capn. For remotes without the handy combo protocol/multi-byte key moves, the other version in the zip uses some dummy upgrades to accomplish the same thing.

It did take quite a while to get that all sorted out - so I am glad someone is making use of it.

My typos didn't help:
'I added these using the RC-5/5a combo protocol (that) used (to) be RCVR device 1089.'

should be:

'I added these using the RC-5/5a combo protocol available in RCVR device 1089.'

xnappo

Thanks for figuring it out xnappo. I actually knew that discrete input codes existed from your posts on the AVS forum.

I want to use a macro to switch inputs with a delay to account for the TV's startup time. But I haven't been able to get the pause protocol in KM to work correctly. When I apply it, it seems to mess up the discrete input key moves in IR. But that is another topic and probably warrants another post.
e34m5

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your macro add a command to a button that does nothing. I had the same problem as you with TV startup and that solved it.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I want to use a macro to switch inputs with a delay to account for the TV's startup time. But I haven't been able to get the pause protocol in KM to work correctly. When I apply it, it seems to mess up the discrete input key moves in IR. But that is another topic and probably warrants another post.

The RC-5 protocols can be very difficult to use in a macro. Have you noticed that sometimes you have to press the remote more than once to get the equipment to respond? That happens when the toggle bit in the TV and the toggle bit in the remote get out of synch. Your UEI remote has one toggle that it shares with all its devices. Getting it out of step with the TV is a common problem. In addition, my phillips TV seemed to have 2 toggle bits. One for the menu keys, and one for the normal keys. I couldn't get a macros to dig through my menus to save my life. However, if the discrete is an issue, perhaps just putting it in the macro twice might synch things up.
evan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying to get this to work in an Atlas OCAP with no success. I'm guessing my lack of success is due to the Atlas not having the device 1089? Works fine on my 8910.

I would appreciate any help!
evan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it to work! In case anyone else wishes to do the same, change the 1089 key moves to 1189.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: