JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Control Comcast Box, TiVo, and BluRay on a 1067?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gadget00

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Control Comcast Box, TiVo, and BluRay on a 1067? Reply with quote

Does anyone have a suggestion on how I may go about programming the Comcast URC 1067 to control a TiVo, in addition to the regular cable box and a BluRay player?

Currently I have the BluRay on AUX and the Cable box on CABLE. I know I could create shifted keys for each of the cable buttons - but I wouldn't want to have to press "Setup" before each button.

I'm hoping to be able to program Jp1.2 and Jp1.3 Comcast remotes.

Also (if anyone happens to know) what is the "dev3" device in IR - specifically for the URC-1067x3 RDF file? I've programmed the TiVo controls to dev3.

Thanks!
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gaget,

For the JP1.2 1067's, I'd suggest using the beta extender. The Jp1.2 extender creates 2 phantom devices as well as multiplexing. It also gives you DSM's, LKP's a Pause and ToadTog capabilities. Another feature that you might like is that the Transport group includes all 9 keys in that upper area, not just the normal 6(ff,play,rev,stop,pause,rec).

There is still a known bug, that is not really a show stopper in any sense.

There is a lot more risk involved in this extender than a normal extender and its a little awkward to setup, but I think you might want to consider it.

Read more about the extender here

Last edited by vickyg2003 on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
gadget00

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vicky - in my search prior to posting, I read a few things you wrote and thought maybe I should send you a PM instead of posting, as you seem to know a lot about Comcast remotes. Thank you for posting!

However, the link seems to be broken. Can you try again?

vickyg2003 wrote:
Hi Gaget,

For the JP1.2 1067's, I'd suggest using the beta extender. The Jp1.2 extender creates 2 phantom devices as well as multiplexing. It also gives you DSM's, LKP's a Pause and ToadTog capabilities. Another feature that you might like is that the Transport group includes all 9 keys in that upper area, not just the normal 6(ff,play,rev,stop,pause,rec).

There is still a known bug, that is not really a show stopper in any sense.

There is a lot more risk involved in this extender than a normal extender and its a little awkward to setup, but I think you might want to consider it.

Read more about the extender here
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fixed the link as well as spelled it out here
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4396
gadget00

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the right link? It goes to a note about the URC 9960 B00 Extender, for me. Will that work for the 1067, too? And I'm not sure what most of the things you mentioned are in your first response - is there somewhere I can read about that?

Again, thanks.

vickyg2003 wrote:
fixed the link as well as spelled it out here
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4396
gadget00

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this what you meant?
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9377
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argh, yes that's the one I meant at least for now! I don't know how I could have posted the wrong link twice! That thread is nowhere near mine.

So I'll spell it out, its in the Jp1- Extenders forum
-----Beta 1067a extender.
gadget00

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing before I delve into this...

Recently Comcast has been favoring the Jp1.3 (red OK/Select button) remotes - maybe they're phasing out the Jp1.2's?

I imagine, since you only suggested this method for the Jp1.2, that there is no extender for the Jp1.3. In the case that Comcast doesn't want to switch out my red-button remotes with grey-button remotes (I'm laughing thinking about trying to explain my reasons to the person at the counter...) is eBay my only option? Or is there any other way to put TiVo controls on to a Jp1.3?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may be methods of doing this with the JP1.3 remotes, since you pointed out the RDF has that dev3, which I assume is an indication of a phantom device.

I'm primarily involved in writing JP1.2 extenders, (8820, Atlas 5 Day and Comcast 1067a).

Since you mentioned the JP1.2 1067, I pushed my extender.
gadget00

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'll definitely check out your extender. Seems a bit daunting, but the ability to press a button for one of the sources and have a macro change the source over... that's fantastic. I'm sure there's much more that I'll come to understand and appreciate down the line. Thanks for taking the time.

And I'll keep searching for a JP1.3 solution, as well.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you resort to Ebay for a comcast remote, make sure to ask the seller if the Select/OK button is Gray. Many sellers have the wrong picture up as I found out the hardway. I have 6 New JP1.3 Comcasts in the marketplace that I got that way.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you end up buying a remote, I'd suggest you look at the Atlas. They are butt-ugly, but they are great PVR/DVD remotes, and they start out with 4 devices.
e34m5

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which Atlas do you recommend?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Perhaps capn_trips should comment on that. I'm only familiar with the JP1.2 remote.

These remotes hold so much appeal, despite there ugly appearnce, that they cry out for an extender. The JP1 Atlas (1054) has an extender, but only 1k of memory, so I don't know how much functionality Mike England was able to pack in there. The JP1.2 Atlas has a huge memory area, and an extender. The JP1.3 Atlases have a huge memory area and Unclemiltie has extenders in the works for all of them.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Quote:

Perhaps capn_trips should comment on that. I'm only familiar with the JP1.2 remote.
My personal favorite is the 1056 (OCAP) (Silver). Unfortunately, its extender is not yet ready for prime-time. It is a JP1.3 remote. The 1055 has at least 4 variants, one of which is a JP1.2, the others are JP1.3. The 1054 is a JP1, but sellers frequently don't/can't differentiate between the bunch - particularly within the 1055 family, but also amogst all of the ones I mention.

I have prepared a guide to the Atlases here.

The extenders for the 1054 (JP1) and 1055 (JP1.2) are pretty mature and work well, whilst the extender for the 1055 (JP1.3) and 1056 is a work in progress with some bugs still being worked out.

If you want the most capability NOW using an extender, I'd recommend getting a JP1.2 URC-1055 Atlas, but since it looks externally EXACTLY the same as the three JP1.3 URC-1055 variants, it's hard to be confident that what you are getting is a JP1.2 version until you have it in your hands.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: