JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

VERY beginner question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joshgambit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: VERY beginner question Reply with quote

I'm sorry if this has been posted before, but I couldn't find the answer I'm looking for.

I have an iLo HDTV - 42". I also have about 3 "Universal" remotes. One of which is an Atlas 1055. I cannot get the Atlas to work with the iLo TV. None of the codes will work. I think the Atlas has learning, but I can't get it to accept ANY codes (not even codes from a known device).

So, I thought I *might* be able to somehow capture the codes from the iLo remote, and program the Atlas using JP1. Is that possible? Does it matter that I can't get the Atlas to work with the iLo right now?

Thanks!!
kupakai

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the TV, but as far as the Atlas remote is concerned, it's possible it may not have learning capability. Atlas 1055 remotes came both with and without the function, depending on the cable company's spec, but the firmware might be the same either way, and just some of the electronic components were missing in the non-learning version. So it may act like it can learn ir signals, but it really doesn't. The manual that came with it should say if it has learning capability or not.

Since iLo could be made by any number of OEMs, I would imagine the ir codes are not very consistant between different models, so you might have difficulty finding working ir codes unless you find an exact model or at least something very close. If the remote does not have learning capability, you can either buy a JP1 capable remote that does (Overstock sometimes has URC-8820 fairly cheap, but not in stock now, and uses the same JP1.2 cable that Atlas 1055 does), or make the IR probe and use CaptureIR to capture the OEM remote's signals, and decode them to use with RM or KM.

You can also try to add the missing components to the remote to add the learning capability. See this post, but I haven't heard if anyone's tried it yet.
joshgambit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kupakai wrote:
I don't know about the TV, but as far as the Atlas remote is concerned, it's possible it may not have learning capability. Atlas 1055 remotes came both with and without the function, depending on the cable company's spec, but the firmware might be the same either way, and just some of the electronic components were missing in the non-learning version. So it may act like it can learn ir signals, but it really doesn't. The manual that came with it should say if it has learning capability or not.

I took the back off of the remote this afternoon. It is a
UEI Atlas Super DVR 2006 w/ Samsung 64K
URC-1055BA1 Rev:01

So, that's EXACTLY what it is. It ACTS like it can learn the signals, but it really cannot.

Thanks! I've got a cable on it's way, and I'm just trying to track down a learning remote local.
speaker.guy
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without a "-L" in the part #, the learning circuits are not installed...
joshgambit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, now I need a learning remote...

Since I've got two remotes that are JP1.3, I'd like a remote that has learning and is JP1.3....

I'd like it to be inexpensive also....

Any Suggestions?
kupakai

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joshgambit wrote:
So, now I need a learning remote...

Since I've got two remotes that are JP1.3, I'd like a remote that has learning and is JP1.3....

I'd like it to be inexpensive also....

Any Suggestions?

There is the Radio Shack 15-135 that mdavej recently worked on to add support.
joshgambit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after fiddeling around with this for the past 3 days...I'm stuck.

I replaced the batteries in the Atlas remote I have, but I cannot get it to connect to my computer. "Failed to Open JP1.x Interface". I tried testing it, but I get "No JP1.x Compatible Remote Found". The cable is a 1.2 from diygadget.com. I tried bending back pin 5 on the header of the remote. I've even tried it on two other computers. The remote flashes when I try to connect. I've reset the remote to the defaults, thinking that might help.

Any ideas or suggestions?
joshgambit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel I should mention this also...

I've tried BOTH remotes that I have. I've also tested the wiring between the interface and the remote. There are no breaks; it ohms out fine.

What is the possibility that this remote is "locked"?
joshgambit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up some resistors and used this...Testing JP1.x Ver 3.pdf

No joy. Cable is DOA.
binky123
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is this thread http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9113 that discusses some problems with a batch of cables from DIY.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: